Senlis and Chantilly as day trip from Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan some day trips outside of Paris for my trip in March. I've found some beautiful photos of the chateau at Chantilly, and of the town of Senlis, but I'm also finding some conflicting information. Hopefully someone who's been there can help me, because there is very little information in guidebooks - most don't even mention Senlis.

My info says you have to take a bus from Chantilly to Senlis - that there are fequent trains from Gare du Nord (and that it takes 45 minutes), then you take a bus (25 minutes). But now I've found some photos of the Senlis Train Station (quite lovely by the way). So if there's a train station how come you have to take a bus? What is the best way to combine a trip to both places?

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I did this very day trip, and I do remember taking the bus you talk about. It may be that the trains from Senlis don't go to Paris. I wouldn't worry too much about it now. The clerks at the Gare du Nord will give you all the information you need.

It's funny...I just mentioned this day trip on another thread, I think today. I had said that I recommended it, but Senlis was very museum-like, and quiet. Beautiful and like something out of a fairy tale, but VERY QUIET. Chantilly is lovely--you'll have no regrets there. I remember a LONG walk from the train station. Take a taxi.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I've seen posts about daytrips from Paris to various parts nearby. Getting from the destination train station to the sight by taxi is easy as there are normally available taxis outside the train stations.

But how do you return to the train station by taxi? Do you make arrangement with that particular driver who takes you to the sight or are there taxis up at the sight waiting outside to take back tired tourists to the station?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I had the same confusion, but evidently there was a train but no longer, just the station building.

The bus departs from next to the Chantilly train station. If you do a search on "Senlis" on this forum, you will find all the directions... I had a thread going earlier in 2005 b/c I thought we might do this day-trip, but we didn't make it.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Francophile--You'll typically stop in somewhere for refreshments and, when you're finished, ask them to call you a taxi. Or else the drivers all know where the tourists will be, and you'll have no trouble finding them.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Or you have a cell phone with the taxi number plugged into your phonebook.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM

The bus at the Chantilly station stops near the chateau on the way to Senlis.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Senlis is the location of the 1966 movie "The King of hearts."
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM
ira

Hi isabel,

If you check the train schedules for Paris/Senlis at
http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...n?L=profi&

you will find that you have to take a bus from Chantilly.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for the info.

I did see on the SNCF site that even though they list a trip from Paris-Senlis as one thing they have two little icons under it, one a train and one a bus.
Ira - the site you list makes it even clearer. I was just wondering when I came across the photo of the Senlis train station. But I guess it doesn't matter if they have a train station or not, it's pretty clear how you have to get there from Paris. I just wanted to make sure my info was up to date.

Only 58 days till I leave (not that I'm counting).