Icy cold weather - what to pack??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Austin, Texas. It was 85 degrees until yesterday. Last night it was in the 40's and I was freezing! Perhaps January in France, UK, and The Netherlands is not the greatest of ideas? Seriously...is the cold weather going to keep me from doing things/enjoying myself?

What type of jacket/coat do you all reccommend? I have a nice long, wool-ish type overcoat/citycoat...heavy enough to keep me warm, but not sporty at all.

I am bummed that due to the fact that I am backpacking I won't be able to bring much...this pretty much rules out most of my "cute" clothing and coats. My mother gave me two fabulous, vintage leather coats from Milan that she wore when she was in her 20's along with some scrumptious Italian leather boots....but the jackets are thin and leather and the boots might hurt my feet after wearing them for a few hours...so I suppose I should forgo fashion and stick to practicality??

What a shame!

Searching online now for sample packing lists and recc's from other travelers on what to pack and what to leave at home!

Comments appreciated
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
yk

Yes, forgo fashion and stick to practicality.

Wear your long wool coat and forget your leather jackets. Wool hat, wool scarf, gloves and wool socks are a must.

We were in Paris last Feb and it was around 32-34F everyday. I wore a long-sleeve T-shirt, then cashmere turtleneck sweater, then a 3/4 length wool coat, a wool hat, a cashmere scarf, leather gloves, wool socks and ankle boots.

We spent a good deal of time indoors in museums.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Marzipan-

I know exactly how you feel. I'm going to Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands in February. I live in Houston and when it got cold last night, I thought how am I going to survive Europe in February.

As far as clothing, I would take your overcoat if it is wool and really warm. Then I would buy an outer shell or nice raincoat in case of rain. I plan to dress in some form of black the entire time. That way I can pack less clothes and rewear things.

Take several different scarves and hats for color. Definitely get the silk long underwear and get some good gloves.

I asked almost the same question on this forum about a week ago. You can find the thread searching for "February in Europe".

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:52 AM

You could try to find some canadians around you, who can explain ;-)

Seriously, why could "cold" weather keep you from doing anything outside. Where I live in Europe it's "cold" in winter. Summer ("warm", Autumn, Winter ("cold&quot and Spring again, each and every year. What am I wearing? It's not much different from everybody around me. What if you packed the wrong stuff? C&A is there to help, and it doesn't cost a fortune. Do you really need to worry? No! You don't leave the house, just because the snow is falling? You're missing the best part! You didn't have your own sleigh when you were young, and didn't stay outside in winter until your parents forced you to come inside because it was getting dark? You missed a few things ;-) Have fun whereever you'll go.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM

See also this thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34705354
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Here are some items that will help:

silk long underwear (wear it out in the cold in the daytime or under your jammies at night

wool socks (silk socks worn underneath are even better

a polartec that fits under your 'city coat' for when it is really cold.

two wool turtleneck sweaters, one black and one your favorite color that will go with all three pairs of pants that you will take. Make sure one of those pairs of pants are black.

a pair of Land's End All Weather Mocs ($29.50 in the catalog and may be available at your local Sear's)

scarf and gloves or mittens (Land's End again) to go with your coat. They also have a cute hat which is helpful for keeping your body head in. Polartec is lighter. warmer and softer than wool.

When you are outside, walk briskly and you'll find yourself warming up.

THe advantage of traveling in January is that it is cheaper and less crowded.

Leave the leather at home and wear your most comfortable shoes.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Waterproof shoes! Plus all the good advice you see above. Ever notice how Europeans always have that wool scarf wrapped around their necks? That's why.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rick Steves guidebooks website have good packing list for traveling back-pack style.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your coat sounds good and you'll simply wear it on the plane, on the train, etc. so it won't have to fit into your backpack ever. IMO shoes or boots are one of THE most important things for a successful trip. Leave those cute uncomfortable ones at home!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM

For me, it's essential to have two very comfortable pairs of shoes. My feet require a change at least every day or two. The leather sounds not good at all, particularly as you would want to avoid bringing along anything tempting enough to steal at a hostel.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I've been in Paris in Jan and London in Feb. It was so cold in London it was sleeting! Layers are best, because when you are in museums and galleries you will be very warm (I find most European buildings way overheated, but you may love it if you are cold natured.) The heavy wool coat with hat, big scarf and gloves are essential. The big thing is to stay dry. Walking will help your body stay warm, but if you get wet, it's best to go back to the hotel, change shoes and socks, warm up and start over.

Have fun! I was amazed at the flowers growing in London parks while it was freezing cold. They'd have all been dead in Oklahoma!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I agree with Barbara_in_CT.
Here's my list (and that includes what you wear on the flight):
3 sets of long silk underwear.
3 pants
5 T-shirts/ blouses
1 wool sweater(could be casmere) OR a fleece OR a polartec jacket
1 winter jacket or coat (possibly your long coat)
underwear
1 or 2 sleep outfits
2 or 3 scarves (maybe 2 wool and 1 silk - though i normally go for 2 long,thicker silk ones myself)
wool cap, woolen gloves, woolen socks(atleast 3)
2 pairs of shoes
an umbrella
toiletries

Thats plenty for any length of stay and will easily fit in a 20" suitcase let alone a backpack. Use ziplock bags to keep everything neat and unwrinkled.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM

..Wait a minute..you aren't going to the arctic though I should have prefaced my statement that I am from New England. Yes, it can be cold in February but in London and Paris may even be up to 45F in the day. LAYER. Be sure you have a shell and sweater for those warmer days. I wouldn't invest in silk thermals unless I had them anyway. Wear a camisol over your bra and wear tights. The advice re gloves and a hat is correct and have a scarf..but not one of those silky things. You can buy one anywhere esp in Paris. Enjoy!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I'm also in Houston so I know what weather is typical Texas winter weather. As a result of being accustomed to our weather, I was chilly in France in January. I would suggest investing in the silk insulated undies and some nice wool socks. Go to REI if you have one. They will certainly point you towards the best products that won't be wasteful for when you return. I've purchased some excellent socks from them that I actually wear at home on a regular basis. They are toasty warm but breathe well.

Layers and comfort are essential.

Waterproofing is a great idea. Again, REI has some superior products.

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Think, dress in layers. Alpaca is the warmest wool. Find a sweater knitted with it to wear. Wool tights if it gets really cold. Winter silk underwear. You can buy these things on line.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
cpd

O.K. I'm having a hard time asking this (it's not southern belle like to discuss underwear much less perspiration) BUT . . .

Based on several recommendations here I have been considering ordering some cuddleduds or silk under things. So my question is - in my experience with fabrics that specifically hold in heat I tend to well, sweat. Not because I'm hot but maybe just because my body can't breath. Anyone have a like problem or an explanation or solution before I order??

Lord that was hard to put out there.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I think the silk works so well because it's very thin and it's a natural fiber. The synthetics like polly's oyster and others, don't breath as much. I know there are some new sythetics used for ski wear and such that are supposed to be great for wicking away body moisture but not verr familiar with them. I don't ski anymore. If I fell I would be broken.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
cpd

I noticed that the cuddleduds say the outer layers is a nylon. I have also heard of moisture wicking (whew, fumble on that one and you could get yourself in trouble in a hurry) fabrics and wonder if the afore mentioned nylon is one. Any dud owners out there?

I'm going to take another look at silk as well.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What exactly is "backpacking" in January? Are you really planning to sleep in the outdoors or are you just carrying your belongings in a backpack rather than a suitcase? If you're not sleeping outdoors (with all the gear that entails), why can't you use a suitcase and take whatever you want/need?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding the comments on silk long underwear... The newer synthetic fabrics used by snow skiers are significantly warmer than silk. Silk does not efficiently wick perspiration away from the body, and it's the perspiration on your skin that makes you feel cold. I've skied in Colorado for nearly 30 years, and the newer fabrics make it possible for me to ski in truly cold weather (-10 F.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -