What to wear in Paris

Search

What to wear in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in Paris

I am looking for suggestions on what to wear when we visit Paris. I know I will not blend with the locals but am trying not to stick out as an American. What do men and women wear to a cafe or brasserie? How about to a nightclub? Thank you!!!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Whatever you are comfortable in and might wear at a cafe or nightclub at home.

For more information see the (too many) numerous posts on this topic by doing a search in the box above.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:49 PM

If not your clothes, then your language and other attributes will instantly ID you as American. Certainly your dancing style in a nightclub will be an easy giveaway that you are a foreigner. Also, the drink that you order, and how you hold your drink.

Are you not proud to be American?

In the states, for example, when I want really good Chinese food, I search for restaurants where I will be the only non-Chinese dining.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 04:59 AM

starrsville is right. Also pls. do a Search as this question gets asked alot.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Littlejen, there are tons of posts on this subject, but a lot of chatter to wade through. So here's what I've learned from my previous trip.

We went in 2003 and we're going back in September to Paris for a week. In general what to wear does depend on WHEN you're going -- right now men are wearing capri's in Paris, so to quote that famour REM tune, "It's the end of the world as we know it". LOL.

Bright colors in the spring, lots of jeans, you name it, it isn't that different from any big city here.

In the fall, like here, Europeans tend to wear more black and darker colors.
When I go back in September, I plan on not taking any khaki pants, just black ones and jeans, since it will be cool enough to wear jeans and be comfy.

While there are plenty of reports that Europeans are wearing white sneakers, that's something else I won't take with me. I tend to wear black Merrills or other walking shoes a lot, and take one dressy black shoe for going out.

Generally speaking, I try to balance comfort with not having a bullseye screaming "American" on me. For example, last time I took a light blue jacket, which while it is very handy in the rain -- was a dead giveaway even at a distance. This time I'll take my designer black trench coat that I've gotten a lot of compliments on this year. It feels good, is light and packs well. I do love Liz Claiborne for classic, affordable dress clothes that travel well for the most part.

There are a lot of factors to consider...there's plenty of argument that you shouldn't feel like you have to fit in -- since you won't anyway. I'm in a different camp...for me, it's comfort first, then style, then "fitting in". However, it's easy to do the first two, but unless I buy my clothes over there, I simply will look different because the cut of our clothes are not the same as the Europeans.

However, I try to wear the colors and a little of the style that will fit in, because I don't want someone to make me for a tourist at 500 yards just so they can rip me off. I figure if someones sitting there looking for a tourist to pickpocket, they might skip over me and move on to the guy in the bright yellow Gore-Tex jacket with the camera hanging around his neck.

I'm lucky because I am partly French by ancestry, as is my first name, so I at least look a little more like some of the French. My husband, who's Austrian gets approached in German a lot -- only when he's not with me.

Anyway, do what YOU feel is right for you, and don't let anyone tell you it's wrong to feel/think/dress that way.

Jules
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM

I agree with Jules' sentiments... and she kindly answered your question! Nice!

Your first trip? Aaaah, let Paris take you away! I love that town.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Dress for Paris as you would dress for similar activities in any city. As long as you are neat, clean, appropriate and comfortable, you will be fine. Since you are unlikely to blend in no matter how you dress, don't try.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I just returned from Paris and my husband and I had several discussions about this. We could pick out the Americans easily. I noticed a few things: 1) White tennis shoes--Only Americans wore these, 2)Purses worn around neck and shoulder, clutched tightly! 3)Shorts--Locals seemed to wear capris rather than shorts.

But I would say that the shoes were a dead give away. I really liked the shoes worn by the Europeans and plan to adopt the style.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi Cheryl,

>I really liked the shoes worn by the Europeans and plan to adopt the style. <

Last May they were wearing very wierd long, pointy toed shoes. Have they stopped wearing them?

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends on what your usual style of dress is, how much you need to change to fit in. If you're a jeans or Dockers, sneakers and t-shirt type, you might want to get some nicer clothes. Also as mentioned it depends on the season/weather what I'd suggest.

Layers, knits, natural fabrics, in neutral color prints and solids work well. I usually take 4-5 decent outfits with pieces that can mix and match. Think more classic instead of 'sporty' and you should fit in fine. Good shoes are a must, black leather maybe a European label?
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:58 AM

&gt;<i>&quot;I. . . take one dressy black shoe for going out.&quot;</i>

Jules, what do you wear on the other foot?

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM

There were some pointy shoes, much like the ones we are wearing here in the U.S. However, I just thought the quality seemed much better...a lot of leather loafer style, suedes, earth tones, etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Well, I lost my other foot, you see, and I can't find it ANYWHERE!

Thanks for the laugh...just mean &quot;one shoe&quot; when I should have said &quot;One pair of shoes&quot;.

My editor would beat me with a stick if he'd seen that.

&quot;A burro is an ass, a burrow is a hole in the ground. As a journalist, you are expected to know the difference.&quot;

Jules
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Hi--we have just returned from our annual France trip--I wore solid pants with tee, jeans jacket (they are as popular in France as in Us) with a scarf and felt that it was very much the day and evening casual look.One thing I am planning for a wardrobe addition is a sleek pair of sport-city shoes--like the sleeker Puma sport shoes--saw lots of that and I would have enjoyed a pair for this trip. Wore a pair of ballet flats with rubber soles for most of the time--but will add a pair of Pumas--not the heavy jogging look at all--for our upcoming trip to Greece--comfortable and stylish. We rarely go to nightclubs--but for out to dinner I just dress the daytime look up a bit with a drapey blouse or sweater, add a little jewelry to the look. You see everything, so wear the look which you feel comfortable in.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Jules, I LOVE that quote! May I plagiarize?

We'll be in Paris in September, too, and I really don't have the right coat/jacket. I think I'm going to layer and hope for good weather.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM

I wonder if my NY clothes will look weird in Paris. This season's fashion look a little extreme: gypsy skirts, sequins, beads, bright colors and a lot of metallics. I wonder should I pack my golden flats?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM

so i just went to zappos.com to look at puma sports shoes. Robinfrance, any hints as to the kind of shoe you were referring to? tie, slip on? thanks for keeping us shoe fiends happy.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Check out the colors in the Faconable section of Nordstroms if you want to &quot;look&quot; French. All I see are lots of solid colored pants, especially tan, and very soft colors, and even a jean jacket.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Oh my goodness; I went by Nordstroms just to look at Faconable again and guess what - I saw the brightest pink collared long sleeved shirts I have ever seen, t-shirts, and also in ... are you ready... ORANGE. Of course, the slacks were all tan, and baby blue. At $165 they weren't flying off the rack. I even saw one shirt with, are you ready, AN AMERICAN FLAG on the back.

Perhaps this could be another thread, but is Faconable less expensive in France or the same price?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Dress for comfort, not fashion. Everyone will know you're American, anyway. Dress in clothing that you can add or remove in layers, so that you can be prepared for any temperatures. Wear clothing that will remain comfortable even after miles of walking. Above all, wear the best walking shoes you can get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -