Oslo Hotel - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendation for a favorite hotel in Oslo? For me, the ability to walk to attractions and restaurants is much more important than being "fancy." My trip will be partly business and for that portion, my host suggested the Grand Hotel -- but the tripadvisor reviews seem pretty bad. Their other suggestion was a B&B near Vigeland Park -- but I'm afraid it will not be centrally located and I will not have a car.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:40 AM

I'm a little confused. You say the location is more important than "fancy". Are you suggesting that trip advisors say the location of the Grand is NOT good? We found it exceptional in every way, especially the location.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:31 AM

It's no big deal to stay by Vigeland Park, as you can take the tram.

However, I'm sure the Grand would be fine, particularly if you booked a Superior room. And I think the location is excellent and somewhat more convenient than Vigeland Park. Anyone who has booked a Superior room seems to be happy with it, based on TripAdvisor. The unhappy reviews are with standard rooms.

I stayed in much more modest accommodation, so can't really advise further. But how about one of the two Radisson hotels, if you really don't want the Grand?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:15 AM

My recommendation for a central location would be the Royal Chistiania which is a Clarion Hotel. It is located close to the RR station, also the Cathedral, a large department store, and not far from Karl Johans gate (pedestrian walkway). I think it is on Biskop Gunnerus gate which is a main drag.
Ozarks Bill [email protected]
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I've learned that during the work portion of my trip I will be booked into the Grand. Some of the reviews are terrible -- but not about the location. The complaints include that it's shabby and run-down; decorations peeling off the walls; mold in the bathroom; and generally more like a 3-star than a 5-star hotel. I guess I'll find out!

For the additional week that I'll be staying (for which I'll be responsible for my own lodgings) I'm looking for someplace centrally located (I won't have a car) and less expensive. "5-Star" is not important to me -- clean, good value, and a good location are what matters.

I was surprised to find several hotels listed arounf $100 (US) per night. That would be great -- if they're okay. Any suggestions for that price range? A B & B would be fine, as well. Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Remember I am pretty budget-oriented, so my recommendations might not be appropriate.

But here is one place I have seen highly recommended:
http://www.perminalen.com
It has both a hotel and a hostel in the same building, and there are positive reviews for both.

We stayed at the Anker Hostel - but we had a private room which was really a studio flat. This is student accommodation rented out during the summer. The room had kitchen facilities including a fridge, a fair-sized bathroom, and was very spartan (but clean and perfectly acceptable if that's what you want). The adjacent Best Western Anker would have been only a little more expensive (although I didn't realize that at the time). This is a very convenient location, and I didn't notice anything untoward, except some kids smoking pot down at the river half a block away. However, it is considered a slightly "rougher" area. If you stay in the student accommodation, you can get breakfast at the hotel for an additional fee, and it's worth it in my opinion.
http://www.ankerhostel.no/?lang=44

The area south of the train station is somewhat "rougher", both from what I read and what I saw (for example, a guy walking his bike along, holding his hypodermic needle in his teeth). One of the Rainbow hotels is in this area (not sure which one unfortunately).

Look in Rick Steves' book for some B&B recommendations - but quite likely these are already booked.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:17 AM

Hi.
For the time being, the two main streets, Karl Johan and Stortingsgata, are undergoing major renovation, and I guess noise can be heavy and also that walking condition may be a little difficult. Hence I'd look for hotels in other streets.
So why not try Bristol, only one block (some 75-100 meters away from Grand and Karl Johan Street) or Raddisson SAS Scandinavia close to the Royal Garden, and with magnificent Oslo Views. Web-addresses are:
http://www.bristol.no/pages.php?lang=en
http://www.oslo.radissonsas.com/

To my opinion you should stay away from the Railway Station area (includes SAS Plaza) until the new Operahouse is ready and the whole area is rebuilt6. May take some years, though

I wish you a nice Oslo Stay

Bjorn, Oslo
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:26 AM

If location is important:
- Bristol is 50meters from main street Karl Johan, 200 meters from castle.
- best western hotel Bondeheimen
- savoy

check out more hotels here:
http://www.hotels-in-norway.com/process_search.jsp

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:18 PM

I second the Radisson SAS Scandinavian- great location,pleasant rooms and lobby, good breakfast. Last summer they offered the Summer Magic rates, and with 5 paid nights, got one free. Nights can be at other Radissons. We did 3 nights Oslo, 2 nights Bergen. Good deal.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM

summer magic Rates

Hey! I was wondering if someone knows more about this. I am going to Norway this summer and and wondering what kind of rates you got on these hotels in Oslo and Bergen. I'm trying to weigh my options with all the passes and membership rates etc. to see what my best bet is.
thanks
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I have a reservation for mid-June at the Tulip Inn Rainbow Cecil on the Stortingsgaten - is this in the location of the major construction? Is this even a good hotel, or should I book the places recommended here?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:07 AM

CleoB
My general impression is that Cecil is a very very good hotel. Great location, great breakfast buffet and really good value for money. Personally I believe I'd stick to the Cecil, despite any unless "Summer Magic" offers wether at Raddisson or Bristol.
But, yes - Stortingsgata is under reconstruction, as is also Karl Johan's street. The latter will be finished in due time for our Constitution day May 17th. Stortingsgata may take longer time, but at Cecil you will only indirectly be affected, since the hotle entrance is in the crossing street Rosenkrantz gate.
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Bjorn,

Thanks for the peace of mind on the Tulip Inn Cecil Hotel. We'll stick with our original plan. Your assistance is really appreciated!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:02 AM

I've not had time to look through the recommendations -- but a related question, could someone comment on how the Fjordpass works?

This seems to give discounts for hotels in Norway and Sweden. Worth buy this at 100 NOK?

(I'm about to book my Nutshell trip and this was offered as an option.)

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Ok, I see how the pass works now -- wonder how I missed this the first time. There're price levels for the hotels.

For example, Grand Hotel mentioned in this thread is priced at 520 NOK x 2 = 1040 NOK for double occupancy.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I see that both Cecil and Bristol are bookable through

http://www.rainbow-hotels.com

Cecil offers a weekend rate at 840 NOK, and Bristol is at 1090 NOK. The two seem close, and I guess I'll just take the cheaper one, probably. Cecil is also bookable through Utell for the same rate.

How long is the walk from the train station? And how much is a cab ride?

Does it make sense for me to stay in this area when I'm only in Oslo for one night (the next day I do the Nutshell trip)?

I also researched First Hotel Noble House (available on Fjordpass). Looks like the pass does save you a little money (even on a weekeend), but I wasn't sure if I could find someting else on their list to book for Bergen, so I may not use the Fjordpass option.

Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Hi again. If anyone is still reading this thread....

Can anyone comment on the Tulip Inn Rainbow Munch at Munchsgate 5?

How does the location compare with that of the Cecil (Stortingsgaten 8)?

Munch is 145 NOK cheaper. They seem to be in the same general neighborhood.

Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Ok, I see that Munch is at #5 and Cecil is at #17 on Tripadvisor.

Not that means anything, but I'm going to switch to Munch and save 145 NOK.

Would appreciate comments anyway, of course.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Haven't been to Munch hotel, but its a bit further from Karl Johan than Cecil but still in centre of Oslo close to the Govermental offices, it should be ok. Close to Munch lies a very nice little Italian restaurant called Ciao Ciao Ristorante at Keysers gate 4, www.ciaociao.no
They don't have many tables and have a friendly atmosphere - not expensive either.

If wanting to spend more money I my advice goes to the very romantic Klosteret restaurant at Fredensborg vei 11, also close to Munch just past Akersgaten, Trefoldighets church and Deichmanske library. www.klosteret.no

On a nice summer day it's nice to sit down at one of the outdoor cafes at kirkeristen behind Oslo Cathedral at Stortorvet.

Old May 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Thanks helen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -