Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please share your ROME hotel suggestions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending a few days in Rome before heading to a wedding in Florence on May 14.
I am looking for a reasonably priced hotel ($150 a night or less) that is basic but nice. I would like to be in a safe location (I've read that Via Firenze is a good location) and be in a hotel with a good concierge service for restaurant recs, guide bookings, etc.

I would like a bathroom/shower in the room, other than that, the room can be pretty basic.

Any recommendations?
I have several books and I've checked out some sites, but there is just too much to choose from. I'd love to hear reviews from those of you that have been there.

Thanks so much!
Carly
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Hi
look into these
Pensione Panda
www.hotelpandaparadise.com

and Hotel Parlamento

you can search on them here or at tripadvisor.com
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Hi Carly,
I can recommend the Hotel San Carlo at 92 via delle Carrozze. Please fax them at 39.06.69.941.197 and them them your requirements, and that Kathleen Kelly sent you; they will contact you by fax or by an e-mail address you can give them to reach you when you fax them, and they'll give you a quote and tell you what you need to do to reserve. Their location cannot be beaten, and their service is extraordinarly! Breakfast is included in the price of the room, and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:58 AM
rex

A dozen or more to browse through in www.eurocheapo.com - - all chosen for redeeming quailities (as I understand), and not just because they are at the bottom of the (price) barrel.

With the way things (dollar:euro exchange rate) are going, I suppose you will be looking at those with a rate of 100 euros (<i>or <b>less?</b></i> - - yikes!)

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Residenza San Pantaleo - can't beat the price for the location. About $110 Euro - right at Piazza Navona - clean - quiet - elevator - AC - some concierge services but you can do that ok on your own with a little work ahead of time. Enjoy!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Hotel Verona, half a block from Santa Maria Maggiore and Hotel Palladium Palace between Santa Maria Maggiore and the Termini. We've stayed in the Verona twice and loved it...comfy, quiet, and a great breakfast. Walked through the Palladium Palace and it seemed a little nicer than the Verona. Both are your price range and close to transportation.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Here are three suggestions if a B&amp;B fits our needs. Seems like with that budget a hotel might be difficult, especially considering the exchange.

Relais Banchi a Vecchi near Navona Square, Daphne Inn Veneto and Domus Julia. These meet your budget, are well located and have all the basics plus a few frills.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I second Elaines' suggestion for Hotel Parlamento. We stayed there for three nights in June and we loved it! The room was very nicely furnished with antiques, nice bathroom and very friendly people at the front desk. There is also a very nice rooftop terrace where you can enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast.

The location is perfect! We could easily walk to the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon within minutes and everything else was within walking distance. I think we paid $125 USD (about $168 euro now, unfortunately)

We loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
awbaker

We stayed in Relais Banchi Vecchi, mentioned above, in September. It is very nice -- big rooms, marble bathrooms, PLUS a kitchenette for 120 euros. Location is closer to Campo de Fiori than Piazza Navonna. There is NOT a full-time concierge, but Milena (the owner) gave us quite a few restaurant rec's and she could probably help you with other needs as well. She also arranged our car service to the airport.

There is NO restaurant or front desk (you keep a key to the front door) which is probably how she keeps the cost down. BUT, there is still daily maid service, breakfast, and usually someone there in the mornings. And Milena gives her cell number in case you need to reach her other times of the day.

The website is:
http://www.banchivecchi115.com/inglese/

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Another nod for Relais Banchi Vecchi. A terrific place in a great location.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:52 PM

Luxury B&amp;B-Luxury Junior suites in Rome
What a fantastic time we had at&quot; 58 Le Real de Luxe&quot;. The luxurious Junior Suite were fantastic. Our short stay in Rome was made positivly the most memorable in a long time and many trips to Rome. The staff was the most proffessional and attentive we have encountered.
An excellent hotel in a very central part of Rome. Easily within walking distance to both the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and even the Colosseum. If you do want to catch the Metro, you are also within easy walking distance to ColoStation - which is only a couple of stops away along the red line to the Vatican City. The Hotel room itself was very clean and I was very impressed with the size of the Bathroom, especially the shower - with Power Jets. They also arranged for an airport pick up and drop off for us. If you are looking for a well valued Hotel with excellent service in one of the most beautiful areas of Rome - then the &quot; 58 Le Real&quot; is the one. Try http://www.luxitaly.com/Catalog/Albe...p;Search=LAZIO
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:06 AM

&quot;58 Via Cavour&quot; has morphed into the &quot;58 Le Real&quot; and there have been a number of threads regarding the former, for instance...

http://www.fodors.com/forums_reg/pgM...p;tid=34538811
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 03:39 AM

No Truck..i have reserved the Junior Suite and it were..Fantastic..the chandelier from Murano..Super-Super!
I have paid only 125 euro/day.
Le Real is very charming accomodation in Rome.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:17 AM

I stayed at Nicolas Inn by the Forum and liked it. Private bathroom in the room and nice owers.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:18 AM

It's been almost 2 years since we stayed there, but Due Torri near P. Navona was very convenient, comfortable and has the boutique-hotel feel in it.

Private bathrooms, adequately-furnished, and very nice staff.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I have stayed at Residenza San Pantaleo a couple of times, and I think it's a great value, as long as you have a bit of a sense of humor.The location can't be beat, which is criterion #1 for me.
The service is minimal, but if you're looking for a pleasant clean room at a reasonable price,you'll be happy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:11 AM

Hi Sissors,
Where in Rome did you wind up staying?
Hawk61
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM

We loved the San Carlo. I would stay there again.

Michelle
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I second kfusto's recommendation for Relais Banchi Vecchi as a great B&amp;B generally, but I don't think it will fit your particular needs - there is no concierge service, no one is around other than for a couple of hours in the morning when they're cleaning the rooms. Beautiful place, though.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I just posted this same thought on a different thread, but I'll say it again: we loved the Hotel Panda! The area (right across from the Spanish Steps) felt very safe, and it was easy to walk everywhere from here. The website is www.hotelpanda.it. Definitely in your price range. You can get a nice clean and basic room with bath for what you posted. The street this hotel is on is charming and the one next to it has all the designer stores (Gucci, Prada, etc.); I say this for you to know, the area is good. It was easy to find, and we would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -