Picnic places in London: please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recent e mail from the States asked me where to go for a picnic in London now, and I cannot answer. Please can you help by naming a picnic place you have liked ? I know it is easy to do: you take a corkscrew, go to a supermarket, if possible a metro or other supermarket that caters for office workers and people living alone, stock up, and take the bus to a park. But which park ? I think we are looking for space, low traffic noise, seats or fresh grass, and some flowers.

The Independent newspaper of London yesterday carried a list of fifty places for picnics. Their selection for London was this, good so far as it goes.

Kenwood House, West Hampstead Lane, NW3, and Marble Hill House, Middlesex, bus from Richmond tube. The site www.picnicconcerts.com describes expensive and luxurious picnics that are sold to people who go to the open air concerts, but of course you can take you can take your own picnic any day. Kenwood House has a site at http://www.statelyhomes.com/areas/de...2,14,2395,1055, and Marble Hill house has one at http://www.statelyhomes.com/areas/de...2,14,1517,3015

Gunnersbury Triangle Nature Reserve, Bollo Lane, W3, Gunnersbury tube. http://www.wildlondon.org.uk

As August comes, your contribution will be timely.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:23 AM
sojourner

My favorite of all the picnic lunches I've ever eaten in London is quite simple and basic, really.

At around 10:30am pop into Harrod's food halls and carefully select your idea of the perfect picnic food and drink: sandwich, fruit, cheese, crisps, yogurt, dessert, whatever, and do not forget the wine or drink of your choice.

After gathering and paying, either walk or tube (only 2 stops on Piccadilly line)to Green Park. From Green Park tube station walk southish (I think) 3/4 of the way through the park, find an unoccupied bench shaded by one of those huge trees and park yourself.

By now it should be nearing 11:30 and if it's the right day of the week, you'll be able to enjoy the music of the Guards band over at the Changing of the Guard while enjoying your perfect picnic lunch. No need to get up close and personal with the bazillion other people standing in the sun in front of B. Palace to enjoy what I think is really the best part of the ceremony - the music.

Well, that's just one way to do a picnic...

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:11 AM

You could try Hampstead Heath in North London... It's an enormous park with loads of free space... There is a kind of a meadow just behind Parliament Hill (great views of North and Central London).

It has a very relaxed weekend-ish atmosphere with people jogging around or playing with kites.

If you want something more central then second sojourner's suggestion...
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Ben,

I think any and all of London's parks would be a good picnic destination - so I'd advise them to select based on the nearest park to them at the time they would like to picnic.

I like Richmond Park a lot but the more central parks such as Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Green Park, St James' Park and so on would all be nice.

I also often have picnics in the much smaller neighbourhood parks and squares such as the one off Paddington Street (by Baker Street) whose name I can't recall.

And if they are venturing further afield, local parks in the suburbs are also nice - I'm in North Finchley and we have the lovely Victoria Park plus Friary Park.

If your friends are really into gardens and gardening they might be willing to make the journey up to Capel Manor Gardens which have lots of wonderful show gardens including some lovely open areas where one can picnic. There is an entrance fee but it's not horrendous, I think it's something like £5 for an adult. It's a lovely location, but might need a car to get there.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:40 AM

My apologies, I recall you prefer to be addressed as Mr Haines. Excuse my use of your first name.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM

I think the shorter answer to this question, is where in London is NOT a good place to picnic?!
Each of the royal parks in the center of London would be more than adequate for picnicking -- plently of quiet areas if you like that, or great people watching spots if that is more your speed.
The grounds of Kenwood House are lovely, but picnicking there would have to be a more organized affair, since I don't recall any groceries, bakeries, etc nearby to provision an impromptu picnic.
The same is true for Marble Hill House.
We've had lovely picnics on Richmond Green and in front of Hampton Court Palace. We have a great picture from the latter, with the palace in the background, and inquisitive geese investigating our meal!
Annette
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:43 AM
vcl

I've observed picnickers in the churchyards at St. James Piccadilly -- there are tables there as I recall, St. Paul's in Covent Garden, and St. Mary Abbott off Kensington High Street.
I've enjoyed picnics myself in Hyde Park near Gloucester Road before wandering down to Albert Hall for a concert.
On a fair day, London is filled with perfect places. .
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Besides the Royal parks, The Kyoto Garden in Holland Park,Hill Gardens in Hampstead Heath are all lovely and quite.

In the City, I go to the tiny garden of St.Dunstan's in the East for a break.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:40 AM

I agree that there are many good options. My personal favorite is Queen Mary's Gardens in Regent's Park. The gardens are beautiful and it feels more intimate to me than some of the larger, more open spaces. Since the gardens are surrounded by Regent's Park, there is very little, if any traffic noise. There are seats available for hire if required.

I usually take the tube to the Baker Street station, where there are several options for inexpensive picnic supplies nearby.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

As I hoped, my enquirer and I have gathered a fine set of ideas and suggestions. Many thanks to those who have written so far. We shall welcome still more replies, and at a good moment I shall prepare a note for future enquirers.

Ben Haines
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Besides Harrod's, can anyone suggest some specific stores where you can buy picnic (sack lunch) food? I usually buy something at the Whistlestop store at Baker Street tube stop, but would love some more choices when I visit London.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:01 PM
vcl

Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer have tasty sandwiches and salads along with a selection of cold drinks. Or you could just crusie the bread and cheese aisles and the produce sections of your local supermarket to pick up a selection.
Local sandwich shops can also put together a fine picnic.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:09 PM

I had a wonderful picnic in Hyde Park while I was in London last October. I stopped at a Pret a Manger and picked up a wonderful sandwich and bottle of water. I found a spot near the Serpentine and sat on the grass.

The weather was perfect (really!) and I plan to repeat the experience on my next trip. Hoping the weather will cooperate.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:59 PM

If you are going to stick your nose into this forum, you better be prepared to be called anything.

and what ever became of Stellrosa?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:08 PM

For some interesting food stuff,if it happens to be Friday afternoon or Satuary, Borough Market near London Bridge offers many unusual ready food/fruits and excellent sweets/chocolate.

Paul Patisserie in Covent Garden is a good place to pick up nice bread and pastries.

For Kensington Gardens area, Waitrose in Gloucester Road has good selections.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:27 AM

We really like Marks & Spencer food halls for easy takeawy food. Besides good sandwiches, they also have things like cold pasta dishes, fruit, breads, etc...

When we were in Greenwich a few years ago (on a Sunday) there were lots of people enjoying picnic lunches an the large park there.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Carluccio's Cafe's sell picnic boxes packed with goodies from the deli counter... mmmm!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Uuugh, I am my own grammar police.

That should be Carluccio's Cafes.

Hate redundant apostrophes...
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Partridges on Gloucester Road has delightful food. They will warm their savory tarts for you.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Holland Park or Regents (botanical area). Easy to rise above the mediocrity of Marks and Spencer or the poor value of Harrods.

Below Regents, at 170 Great Portland St is a landmark of gourmet deli food: http://www.villandry.com
Or Fri/Sat get early to the incomparable http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/aboutus.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -