Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is smoking allowed on Eurostar (First Class)? Should I buy ticket in advance here in US?

Search

Is smoking allowed on Eurostar (First Class)? Should I buy ticket in advance here in US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm a first time traveler on Eurostar end of Jan'04 (Venice to Florence, point-to-point ticket, one-way only. I am flying back to the US from Florence).
1) Is there any section that is non-smoking?

2) Given that it is low season, should I wait and buy my ticket in Venice or buy it here now?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:45 AM

More of the train is non-smoking than smoking!

There is no reason to buy this in advance of your going and paying more. I'd buy it as soon as you get to Venice just to be on the safe side. Either get it at the train station or from any travel agent.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:51 AM

I agree with Patrick, and would only restate his admonition not to delay purchasing your ticket after arriving in Venice. My wife and I did (one-way to Rome), and the non-smoking cars were booked so we ended up in the smoker. Truly an unforgettable experience.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:08 AM
cmt

I had to take Eurostar on one route this past October. I think I remember hearing a loudspeaker announcement that the whole train was non-smoking. (I was definitely in a nonsmoking car myself, and I wouldn't even buy sa ticket if I had to be in a smoking car.)
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM
GAC

When you purchase your ticket, request a seat on a non-smoking car. If the system works as it should, only non-smoking seats are assigned by default UNLESS you request a smoking seat! But I would still specify non-smoking as a precaution. No need to buy the ticket in the US. Buy it in Venice one or two days before the departure date (In late January, trains are not that full).
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:25 AM
cmt

GAC: Is it possible that some Eurostar trains are totally nonsmoking, or am I probably just remembering wrong? I took Eurostar from Milan to Bologna at the end of Sept. or beginning of Oct.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:49 AM
GAC

This is possible, but more likely the cars and the ends of the train are reserved for smokers. There are still many travelers who want to smoke on long distance trains.

However, smoking is totally banned on all local trains (Diretto (D), Regionale (Reg.) and Interregionale (IR)), where seats CANNOT be reserved. On most Eurostar (ES) and Intercity (IC) trains, which have reserved seats, there are dedicated smoking cars. On Eurostar, of course, all seats are sold on a reserved basis, thereby avoiding people standing in the aisles.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:57 AM
cmt

OK, THAT's what it was. It must've been on a local train that there was an announcement that the entire train was nonsmoking. I was very glad, but surprised. I took several local regional trains, at least one intercity train, and only one Eurostar. The Eurostar had the most announcements with various "don'ts," some of which surprised me (Don't talk loud), but it must have been one of the regionals where I heard the announcement that smoking wasn't allowed anywhere on the train.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:44 AM

I took an ES in November (Rome to Florence) and "no smoking" on the entire train was announced indeed.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM

The ES London/Paris/Brussels is totally non-smoking.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi again - thanks for all your replies.
1) Are the seats in EuroStar laid out as "cabins/private rooms" or as "open seating rows" (like in airplanes or buses).

2) Can one purchase a WINDOW seat ?

Thanks much!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:00 PM
GAC

1) On Eurostar Italia (ES) trains, seats are laid out as open rows (like on planes and buses). By contrast, on Intercity (IC) trains, there are small compartments of six seats each.

2) You can specifically request to purchase and reserve a window seat (finestrino), although the view from the corridor seat (corridoio) is no different. (If in a window seat, you are shielded from getting bumped on the head or shoulder or your foot crushed by people walking down the narrow aisle of the train.)
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:23 PM

If you purchase your ticket from a machine at the station, you will be given a literal floorplan on which you can hightlight the seats you want, window or otherwise. Using the machines is easy--there's an English language option.