Day Trips from Rome

Search

Day Trips from Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Rome

We are a family of four spending 7 nights in Rome end of October. Looking for suggestions for day trips from Rome (already planning on Pompeii, so other suggestions welcome).
Kids are 7 and 10 - looking for something geared to their interests!
Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM

I would go out to Tivoli - you can get there by bus - and visit the Villa d'Este. There are hundreds of fountains in the gardens next to this Villa. It also has a beautiful view of Rome in the distance.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:58 AM

The kids would probably love Ostia Antica, the ruins of the old seaport. However, it's supposed to be something like Pompeii, so you may not want to double up on something like that. It's an easy ~30 min metro/train ride out.

Enjoy your trip,
Paul
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies. Is it too far to go to Naples for the day???
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Naples is on the way to Pompeii, so you could combine the two. It would be almost three hours in each direction.

Orvieto is another good choice for kids. It is an easy train ride away (1 hour?). Once there, you take a funicular from the station up to the hilltop town. Great exploring on little winding streets. Your kids would probably find the Orvieto Underground tour interesting, exploring caves under the town (check if kids are allowed).
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM

I agree w/ellenem; Orvieto is a great choice, the kids will love the underground tour. We visited Ostia Antica this Spring and found it fascinating, but nowhere near as interesting as Pompeii. The only advantage is 1 hour to Ostia vs. 3+ to Pompeii. I would look for a one day tour to Pompeii with a stop either in Sorrento (just to get a feel for it) or Mt Vesuvius which is basically next door to Pompeii.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you - these are all great suggestions - now not sure which ones to pick!!!! How about kid-friendly restaurants in Rome - any advise there??
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Just went in March with kids. One day trip is plenty. One hint - when you go the the Vatican - get your hotel to book you a private guide. Cost will be around 100 to 150 euros for a half day but it will save you hours of waiting in line, at 9:00am the line was blocks long, with the guide we went straight. Our guide was a art professor. We learned so much and even the kids enjoyed the Vatican and museum.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:38 AM

HI
If you go to this posting
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

and scroll down you will find lots of Helpful Info. on Italy, including daytrips and how to get there
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:43 AM

You will find plenty to do to fill up 7 days. Restaurants are for the most part kid friendly. When my son was small he would only eat his pasta absolutely plain. The Italians dispaired but complied. Pizza and ice cream are of course plentiful. Pompeii in a day trip is very demanding. If I were you I'd put that off for another trip when you have more time. Ostia is certainly not Pompeii but it's interesting. My son's favorites were the Collesium and the Forum, the baths of Caracalla, the castle of St Michael, San Clemente (the vault), and the catacombs (which is a good day trip.)
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:52 AM

NeedAdvice, was the tour of the Vatican for a couple (or more) and was the cost for the group or ?? We will be there late this October, two couples. Looking forward to hearing from you. Sasi