Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Camden Town Flea Market...anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:07 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're arriving in London on a Sunday at the end of this month. We arrive around 8 a.m. and plan to drop our luggage off at our hotel and then head on to the Camden Town flea market. It was recommended by a friend who lived in London since childhood. Has anyone been there? If so, how was it or would you recommend another that might be better? I'm open for any suggestions. We just thought it would be a fun thing to do on our first day as we're both into flea markets and hunting for bargains.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That would definitely be doable on a Sunday morning.

The Camden and Camden Lock markets are a mixed collection of crafts, funky and alternative fashions, collectibles and stuff. Great street and stall food. The flavor is young (teen/early twenties) and you'll see lots of pierced parts. My daughter (11) and I went in January and had a great time. Start at the Camden Town tube end and make your way through the markets which wind up at the Chalk Farm tube.

An alternative Sunday morning would be the Old Spitalfields market which is a bit more upscale (think late 20s and 30 somethings). Crafts, collectibles, fashions, organic foods, flowers. Nearby are the Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane markets which are bric a brac, clothes and furniture. The tube for these markets is Liverpool Street.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:26 AM

Camden is as described above. It gets extremely busy indeed. Portobello rd is similar and not as busy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:51 AM

I assume that when your friend refers to the flea market bit of Camden Town he is referring to the upstairs area of the Stables - that's the part of the market furthest away from Camden tube station in the direction of Chalk Farm.

I certainly find prices there are cheaper than Camden Passage in Islington and Portobello Road markets.

As above, camden also has areas of new and second hand clothes (which appeal most to teens and young adults) - these are what you come across first.

The area just after the bridge over the lock, to the left as you approach from Camden tube station, is the craft and jewellery and other funky stuff area - art, craft, soap, jewellery and all manner of wonderful gifts.

Further back is another clothes area and a food market.

Further in again is the Stables area, and another food market, and that leads into the old Horse Hospital building and upstairs there is the flea market/ antiques area. Downstairs areas here including under railway arches, are funky furniture shops which I love.

For good eating try L'Ecluse.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:22 AM

Wow, Kavey, I never knew about the Stables area. I'll have to check it out next time. Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:16 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info!!! I can't wait to check it out now!