Help with Venice Stay

Search

Help with Venice Stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Venice Stay

I will be spending several days in Venice in October. I will be returning to the U.S. from Marco Polo airport on a very early flight (6:30AM). I think the only transit to the airport at that time of the morning is by water taxi which I know is expensive. I'm thinking of moving to a hotel near the airport for the last night. Can anyone recommend a place? Or should I just stay in Venice and reconcile myself to the price of the water taxi? If I do stay in Venice, any recommendations on a nice place to stay near San Marco that is not outrageously priced?

Thanks.

Jean
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM
rex

There really are no hotels "near" Marco Polo airport. If you really need to economize (and be SURE that you make your flight - - sice the lagoon can be havily fooged in the pre-dawn hours), then there are the hotels in Mestre (none very appealing, but not necessarily unacceptable) - - you can take a regular (automobile) taxi from Mestre.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:50 PM

This is news to me, but colleagues of mine recently stayed at the Fly Hotel, which is right at Marco Polo airport! This is a simple 3-star but reportedly clean and comfortable with a very decent restaurant. Supposedly about 3 football fields from the main pavilion. There is a shuttle but they walked it out of choice. www.flyhotel.com

I have personally only flown into Venice, never out (so have not looked into airport hotels). If my flight was that early, I think I'd probably be staying near the airport. You could always go back into town via alilunga without great effort for your last evening.

The nearest hotel in Mestre is the Anthony hotel which is under a mile and supposedly (again 2nd hand info) very nice.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:51 PM

And by the way...if anyone knows anything contrary to what I just passed along, I'd love to know! Thx.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I believe the earliest water bus to the airport leaves San Marco at 4:30 AM. I recently took this for a 7:30 AM flight and it took about one hour to get to the airport.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:46 AM

As I've done before, I recommend the small HotelPaganelli on the Rive Schiavone. For about 180 euro a night for double with bath, you get very good location (Alilaguna stops right in front) and S. Marco a couple of minutes away. Tons of restaurants, Vaporetti stop very close, and a very welcoming staff. Web : hotelpaganelli.com Good luck and have a great trip.