How expensive is Harry's Bar in Vencie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a lot about Harry's Bar.<BR><BR>Dinner is most likely out of the question, and I think a drink of Bellini will set you back about $10US? how much do you think a light lunch will cost for two?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

Harry's Bar in Venice is pure extravagance, and hardly authentic. We had drinks there last time we were in Venice, but I would never, ever eat there - why would you, with a million authentic Venetian places to choose from?<BR>A drink there was about $7.50-$10.00. Dinner was outrageous. The only people eating dinner there were Americans. I'm sure you can eat better for less elsewhere - I'm sorry I can't help you with specifics, but we had rented a place outside Venice and taken the train in for several days, so we never ate dinner in Venice.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:27 AM

Johnmango,<BR>I haven't been to Harry's Bar in 4 years, but then it was quite expensive. We simply had drinks at the bar, their famous bellini, rather than spend $120+ on lunch upstairs. I believe a bellini will set you back 15 euros now (that's the going rate for a bellini at the Hotel Cipriani), and although they may still have a fixed price meal at lunch (maybe 50 euros?), I would think the cost for 2 for lunch would be well over $120 now with drinks.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I ate there in 1991, I think the bellini's were abot $14 each. My husband and I had supper and there was mix of people including Italians eating at the restaurant. Our bill was about $260 US and if I remember correctly, we did not have a bottle of wine. I think we each had an appitizer and entree no dessert. I remember I had primavera risotto. The food was good but certainly not worth the price.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:03 AM
ira

For those of you who woould like to save 15 Euro, here is a recipe for a Bellini cocktail.<BR><BR>3/4 Chilled Champagne, 1/4 Fresh Peach Puree, Nectar or Peach Schnapps<BR><BR>Put Peach into a Champagne flute. Fill with chilled Champagne<BR><BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Oh, how sweet of you, Ira.<BR>But then, where is Venice?<BR><BR>I remember, when I studied Italian in Florence, our teacher went to Venice over Easter. When she came back and told us about her adventures, first thing she said: OMG, everything is so outrageously expensive there. Well, they obviously went to Harry's, Cafe Florian, etc.<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:00 AM
ira

Thank you Ursula,<BR> but not as sweet as a Bellini.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Well, Ira, I hope you are for somebody. ;o)
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Hi<BR>I am no fan of Harry's Bar, had a drink there but thankfully escaped having dinner. I found it not at all a good value. <BR>However, somethings can be tried once, just to say you were there. If your budget can afford a 35-40 euro bar bill, go for a drink and satisfy your curiosity. Then go for a great dinner somewhere else.<BR><BR>I have a file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at<BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:19 PM

I picked up a drink menu at Harry's last summer--here's some actual prices:<BR><BR>Bellini.............8.00 (euros)<BR>Cosmopolitan........8.00<BR>Planters Punch.....12.00<BR>Vino rosso (glass)..4.50<BR>Becks beer..........4.50<BR>Coca Cola...........4.00<BR>Johnnie Walker Blue12.00<BR>Irish coffee.......11.00<BR>Capuccino...........2.50
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Harry's Bar brings back such wonderful memories for me. My husband and I were in Venice for 3 nights several years ago. Every night I HAD to go to Harry's Bar for a bellini. It was packed with people. Every night the Americans complained that they would call for dinner reservations and were told they were full. On the 3rd night for kicks my husband told me to ask the bartender if there was room for supper that night (the bartender kinda liked me I think by then anyway) and we were wisked upstairs immediately. Was it expensive? YES! Was it worth it? Every penny: we met very interesting foreigners who loved American politics and Mr. Cipriani greeted every one of us.<BR>Going there in June too!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Wow. Johnnie Walker Blue for 12 euro? That sounds like the bargain of the century! Local bars here in Florida charge something like $20 to $25.<BR><BR>I've not been to Harry's but to me it is just like going to have dinner on the Eiffel Tower or paying a small fortune to ride a gondola in Venice. You do it to say you've been there or for the &quot;personal&quot; meaning it might have to you, not because it is good value.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:48 AM

If that price list is correct, it's not out of line for a historical or upper crust bar just about anywhere. Of course, I couldn't afford that type of place anywhere either.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:23 AM

To be honest, the drink prices are no different than we've paid at The View Lounge in NYC, along with other nice places in other cities.<BR><BR>I agree that it might be one of those things that you'd do just to say that you did it....if it's meaningful. I anticipate that my husband and I will go to Harry's for a drink when we're in Venice this summer....just to have the experience once.<BR><BR>I agree that the meal prices seem a bit steep for something that might not be a superb dining experience.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Regarding the drink price list above, Bellini for 8.00 (euros) ..? The only time I was at Harry's Bar (so I can tell I've been there) Nov.2001, I paid about 15 Euro (or the equivalent in Lira then). Not only Bellini but all the drinks are moderately priced on this list. Cappucino for 2.50? Hard to belive. The same was like 7.00 at Florian. Cesanic, is this really Harry's Bar in Venice you are talking about?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:21 AM

The prices are lower at Harry's Dolci and the food is a lot better
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Casanic's list is VERY reasonably priced, but I hope it is the right menu/bar.<BR><BR>As you know there is another Harry's Bar (Harry's Dolci) in the Cipriani Hotel on Giudecca Island, which is &quot;5 mins from St. Mark's Square by private launch&quot;. Harry's Dolci is also owned by the Cipriani family and as Statia pointed out, is cheaper than the Harry's Bar in Venice.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:47 AM

Hi<BR>Harry's Dolci is not in the Cipriani hotel, but it is on Giudecca island and not far, on the other side of the canal. In the Cipriani hotel is &quot;Cip's Place&quot;, a cafe more casual than their main hotel dining room.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Just re-reading this old thread and I just wanted to correct my previous post--the menu I picked up was at the Florence Harry's Bar, not Venice. Maybe pricess are lower in Florence?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:01 AM

If you want to visit the famous Harry's Bar, go-- have a Bellini, and just realize that it is a fun thing to do. Yes, it is overpriced, but people are going there that don't care that the Bellini is over priced, and instead want to experience a famous place in Venice. I have only had the famous &quot;BELLINI&quot; there, and was a fun activity to do, however I knew beforehand what to expect.Long time friends of mine where visiting Venice at the same time so we all met at Harry's, as everyone wanted to at least see it,and had a few laughs and Bellini's together.When we were there, it was actually an interesting group of people at the bar, and good people watching. The upstairs dining room is $$$$$, and reviews are mixed about the food. Pass on eating there.
Instead had an amazing meal at the Danielli for old world charm, great food, service, and although not inexpensive worth it, more so then a dinner I suspect, at Harry's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -