Reload this Page >

Suggest a no-brainer, page-turner book

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:50 PM
Judith

I, too, am leaving for a long transatlantic trip soon. I'm interested in hearing some of your recommendations as well, but I can provide a little more structure as to what I'm looking for in a "trip" book. I want it to be engrossing and an easy read. I don't particularly want it to "teach" me something or have any great moral point to make. I want rich, vibrant, well-written characters that drive the plot and I want something with a plot. I like historical fiction, mysteries, suspense, sci-fi, romance and humorous fiction. I don't care if it's a proper book or "juvenile" so long as I lose track of time and "fall" into the story.<BR><BR>Any thoughts?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:17 PM
Teri

Try "Kitchen Confidential" it has been out for a while. Really entertaining, if you are into food.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Mel

Since you don't mind if they're so-called "children's books," Harry Potter (any, but read the first if you haven't yet) fits the bill in every way.<BR><BR>For light, fun reading, any of Bill Bryson's books. My favorites are "Notes from a Small Island" and "I'm a Stranger Here Myself." But be warned, you might find yourself laughing out loud in the plane!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:07 PM
Sue

Any Richard North Patterson (suspense/mystery)--I have a hard time putting them down or Michael Connolly (The Poet in particular).

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:22 PM
Mina

I was going to tell you all about Bill Bryson, until I saw Mel beat me to it! <BR><BR>But Bryson is my favorite "travel companion" since I like to vacation alone. However, I don't stay alone for long...people usually want to know what's making me continually shoot diet coke out of my nose from laughter.<BR><BR>My favorite Bryson book so far: In a Sunburned Country. I'm a Stranger Here Myself is good as well, but it's a collection of his articles on the US written over two years. I'd recommend reading one of his travelogues first, then reading Stranger, as you just appreciate his sense of humor more. Some of his other books include: A Walk in the Woods, Notes from a Small Island, and Neither Here Nor There.<BR><BR>Also, if you like the essay thing, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris is hysterical as well.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:26 PM
fiona

another vote for Bryson- and I HAVE laughed out loud in the plane reading him!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:40 PM
Mina

Fiona, no kidding! The guy sitting next to me on a plane looked irritated as I made all kinds of strange snorting, choking, guffaw noises. I was trying not to laugh out loud, but it couldn't be helped.<BR><BR>He finally told me "I have never seen anyone laugh so much at a book before." I nodded helplessly. I soon noticed he was trying to read along with me.<BR><BR>There's no escaping Bryson.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:15 AM
Joyce

For mysteries: any of Simenon's books about the detective Maigret; also any P.D. James mystery. These books are all entertaining, and relaxing to read while on vacation.<BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Uncle Sam

This is a no brainer:<BR><BR>Anything by:<BR><BR>1. Ridley Pearson<BR>2. Scott Turow<BR>3. Tom Clancy<BR>4. Robert Ludlam<BR>5. And if you wnat to think try CS Lewis<BR><BR>US

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:21 AM
Keith

If you're heading for Scotland, read any of the Inspector Rebus novels by Ian Rankin. Very well written, they illustrate Edinburgh beautifully - Rebus regularly drinks in a pub close to Edinburgh University halls of residence where I have occasionally enjoyed a pint or five in the past.<BR><BR>Harry Potter is total escapism and brilliant for passing the time travelling. I read it on my commute to work and nearly missed my stop several times.<BR><BR>Bill Bryson is good, but personally I find him a bit overrated. His best book (that I've read) is definately "Notes from a Small Island." His comment on the weather in the UK is spot on - something like a forecast for the day could read "sunny at first with wind and rain later."

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:58 AM
canuck

Richard North Patterson <BR>Maeve Binchey - good long stories you don't want to end<BR>Sue Grafton - she's working her way through the alphabet *A* is for Alias etc.<BR>early John Grisham books<BR>Janet Evanovich books<BR>Patricia Cornwall

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:10 AM
Tammy

How about London by Edward Rutherfurd? Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. I also think the Harry Potter series are great, along with Patricia Cornwell books about Kay Scarpetta. But depending on how quickly you read, you might have to be taking along several books which can be a pain if you're trying to pack light. London is a nice, long epic which is a page turner.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Sue

(No-brainer to me doesn't include rich, vibrant, well-written characters?) Anyway, I read Murder in the Marais by Cara Black on my way to Paris last week, and it was a good, topical read. A real page-turner I recently read was Line of Vision; can't remember author, but it's an easily found paperback. I stayed up way beyond what I'd intended to reading it on work nites here at home; hard to put down. David Sedaris' works, Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day are light and amusing.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:17 AM
Gaia

Donna Leon: Signor Brunetti - any one you don't know

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:23 AM
danna

Certainly not great literature, but for "no brainer" and "page turner", John Grisham's "A Painted House" filled the bill. <BR><BR>I also liked "Me talk pretty one day"<BR><BR>Or...read the first 500 pages of a Tom Clancy before you leave. That's about the place where the background stuff leaves off and the "page-turner" begins.<BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:06 AM
John

Another vote for Pottermania. The good part is that the first 3 books are out in paperback in N. America and the 4th in paperback in Europe, and each is just about one transatlantic flight long. If your travels pass through London you will not be able to resist inspecting carefully the platform signs at Kings Cross.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:10 AM
Flagg

I enjoy Agatha Christie. The books are relatively short but they're page-turners from the get-go. Great mysteries with plenty of surprises.<BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Shirley

Diana Galbaldon Highlander/time travel series. Combines historical fiction/mystery/non standard romance. First books in series the best, Nice long, but not repetitive.<BR>Sharyn Newman has a series of Medieveal Mysteries and Sharon McCruym, Lia Matera Martha Grimes, Ruth Rendell, Nevada Barr, Sarah Paretsky, Lisa Scottoline, dana stabenow, Lisa See all interesting, well written mysteries.I also vote for the C.S. Lewis Narnia books. I have reread them every few years since childhood . Sci fi try David Drakes Lord of the Isles series, or Kate Elliot, Melanie Rawn, Terry Prachett Disc world series,

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:50 AM
Dave

I couldn't put down Michael Chriton's (sic?) "Abduction"....It was a very engrossing book and had an interesting and thought provoking twist to it as well....Best wishes on your vacation....

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Scumpy

Well! You learn something every day and sometimes in the oddest places. I have NEVER been able to read a Tom Clancy book and have NEVER been able to understand how other people could not only read them, but like them. I would try my damndedest and then collapse in utter failure on page 400, clueless as to how other people suffered the torture, the endless ennui, the droning minutiae, the mind numbing encrusting of dusty detail upon dry documentary. And now Danna says the secret is to begin at page 500. Bless you, Danna. Although that is not to say I can promise I will ever get foolish enough to try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -