Reload this Page >

specific info on visiting Oxford and Blenheim needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:16 PM
elaine

Hi<BR>I'm hoping to do a repeat visit to Oxford and to Blenheim Palace in one day while I am in London next month.<BR>Last time I visited Oxford I stayed overnight. I'm looking for specific information on taking a coach (bus) from Victoria Sta. or a train from Paddington, arriving in Oxford, touring the town and some colleges, and making my way out to Blenheim without a car. Then I have to get back to Oxford coach or train station to return to London.<BR>I've done many web searches, even looked at organized coach tours but they all include<BR>something else with Blenheim and Oxford<BR>(like a Cotswolds drive or a visit to Stratford or Warwick) which I don't want.<BR>I know that Oxford has some city or private buses that offer transport around the city, and perhaps even to Blenheim, but I can't find the schedules anywhere.<BR>Can anyone help or tell me where to look?<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:25 PM
jahoulih

For the bus from Oxford to Blenheim, see<BR><BR>http://www.stagecoach-oxford.co.uk/bustimes/<BR><BR>Lines 20 and 50 go to Blenheim (Woodstock).

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:25 PM
janis

Actually your best bet would be one of the organized tours from the Tourist Info Office in Gloucester Green since it is right at the coach station. But since you don't want the "extras" that are included on most of these tours that is a problem.<BR><BR>In that case consider taking a cab to Woodstock. It is only 7 miles and while it would be more expensive than a bus - the time saved might be worth it. There is decent bus service to Woodstock but the schedules will not maximize your sightseeing time.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:38 PM
elaine

No, janis, that's exactly what I want.<BR>I didn't want the tour thing from London because they all have extra destinations, but from Oxford itself I'm happy to do a coach and/or walking tour.<BR>I'm looking into it.<BR>And jahoulih, thanks for the bus website. I actually had looked at it already but had neglected to notice that I could get actual schedules there .<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Joe

I did this in an ad hoc way when I was a freshman traveler in '89. I managed to find my way on a "Midland red" from Birmingham to Woodstock, then a local bus to Oxford, then a bus to London. Even given all my fumbling at the time, it was an easy day trip and great fun. I remember the elderly women on one leg of the trip whoe were going to market with their string bags and trading gossip.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Judy

During weekdays,there are buses from Oxford Bus station to Woodstock every half an hour,takes 30 minutes. From the town to Blenheim Palace just a short distance walk.<BR><BR>Some buses continue to Straford.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Bob

Tip in Blenheim: If the owners are not in town they also offer a tour of their private residence after the main tour of the castle. It was worth it to see a part of the building still be used daily. Ask when you are there.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:53 PM
janis

OOPS - I completely missed the "next month" bit. Blenhein Palace is not open to the public from Nov 1 to about Mar 1st. So that simplifies your problem - spend the whole day in Oxford.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:00 PM
jahoulih

Actually, the Palace is open from 11 March, according to www.blenheimpalace.com--still no good for Elaine, I guess. The park is open all year; it's nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the trip.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Joe

In 1989 the private apartments, for an extra fee, were open even when the duke was in residence. As I lined up with a few others for the private tour, the duke walked in and said hello as he passed.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:29 PM
janis

Joe - The Duke/family is not "in residence" when the private apartments are open for tours. They have another large house in the park and only live inside the Palace during the winter months. They actually actually live most of the year in the lodge out in the park. But you will often see one or another of the family during the open season since they only live about 1.5 miles away.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:07 PM
tom

It is important to check the open period for all the major sites in the UK. Many especially the privately owned ones like Blenheim are closed in the winter months.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:11 AM
elaine

Nothing like forgetting to check the basics, like whether Blenheim is open or not!<BR>Thanks for the heads up.<BR>