Search

online forums

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:34 AM
mimi taylor

online forums

good morning, everyone, <BR> Tomorrow's N.Y. Times on page 4 of the travel section, discusses the different forums. Mostly Fodor's and the lonely planet's thorn tree.The article also mentions the FODORITES. ( we subscribe to the times-that's why we get it on the saturday)

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:08 AM
Rex

Wow! And you can read it online now at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/22/travel/22PRAC.html - - as always, registration is required, but it IS free. <BR> <BR>The author - - Martha Stevenson Olson - - cites her experience with the "beauty products" thread, so I guess we can "look her up". I wonder how often she comes here. <BR> <BR>She may be quite misled - - at least based on THIS statement: "Often the Fodor's staff will jump into a discussion with advice or directions to other links." I have done a fair amount of digging through VERY, very early threads on this forum (1997 and earlier), and you can occasionally find examples of this - - but I would like to know if she (or anybody else!) can cite even one example of this in the past several years! <BR> <BR>Perhaps she thinks that Ed works for fodors since he uses the e-mail address [email protected] - - this confusion has existed several times before. <BR> <BR>Anyhow, let's hope for a fresh new torrent of visitors here from this article. It was an item in USAToday two years ago that led ME to lonelyplanet.com - - and to my friendship with Ben Haines - - and ultimately, here. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:25 AM
mom

If company is coming, please, LET'S ALL BEHAVE!!!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 01:37 PM
topper

If there are any new people brought to this forum, they will most likely start showing up tomorrow when they read it in print, not on the internet. <BR> <BR>People who do not live on the internet, that read newspapers and such, are the most likely new visitors. I hope we do make a good impression on them! <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 02:23 PM
mimi taylor

FOR TOPPER: she had nothing but good things to say about FOdors.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:17 PM
Jayelle

I also get my Sunday supplements, including the Travel section, delivered on Saturday and was able to read the article on on-line forums. I agree the writer was complimentary of fodors.com and the type of information that one can receive here. She seemed to be a bit confused about the use of e-mail addresses on posts, not realizing that users don't have to give their real e-mail addresses. I also thought it was interesting that she mentioned that the Thorn Tree site on the Lonely Planet board has more than 35,000 registered users. Given all of the discussions about the merits of registration here, I wonder how many registered users this site would get if it were required. The virtualtourist.com site that she mentioned also sounds interesting. I'll have to check that one out also.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:25 PM
s.fowler

virtualtourist.com is my new addiction. I'm shrimp56 over there... c'mon over and say hello

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Rex

What an opportunity lost! <BR> <BR>This forum (well, not specifically Europe, though it "felt" like we were singled out!) makes it into the NYTimes, and then they go and schedule a whole day of interrupted service! <BR> <BR>Oh well, maybe there will be newcomers who think to go looking for us during their "slow time at work" tomorrow (that's the only time the "rest of us" log in during the day - - right? - - wink!!) <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:22 AM
hiho

Yes, welcome to all the NY Times readers out there who may be coming to this forum. I hope they have lots of questions about what clothes to wear in Europe!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:29 AM
Christina

A little gushy article, not entirely accurate in parts. I suspect the part about Fodors and the editors jumping in to offer advice or whatever probably came from Fodors--clearly, this reporter had to get some facts and info from the sites themselves on the forums (number of users, etc), and I'll bet Fodors probably told them that or something. Or maybe she hit upon the few posts the editors participated in when they were revising the forum format, and got the wrong idea. I don't think the reporter probably spent much time on this forum, just a few threads, probably, to write the article. Actually, it is a little suspicious as she doesn't seem to know you don't need to put in a working email address to the reply box and if she participated on the forums, she should know that (espec. since she says she doesn't want to do that, she would have tried something else, I would have thought).

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:45 PM
Rex

Looking at the "beauty products" thread, it appears that the author MIGHT be the person who started the thread ([email protected]) - - if so, then she is clearly aware that a real e-mail address is not required. <BR> <BR>It looks like "some of you" (regulars) did engage her in a fair amount of discussion of the various brands and such - - did no one ever communicate with her "off-forum" - - via e-mail? <BR> <BR>And as quite an aside, I have been getting that same old (out of date, today) message about the planned interruption of service all day long today - - apparently no one else has? or have others been unable to get on the forum today? <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:09 AM
s.fowler

Topping for Ess.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Ess

Thanks for topping. I agree--some recent threads would probably make a newcomer not bother to come back!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:59 AM
pam

I want to know how you get your subscription copy of the Sunday Times on Saturday! Mine comes with the local Sunday paper. Of course I'd get nothing done on the weekend if I had the Times staring at me for two days.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:23 PM
ladyjane

Sunday Times on Saturday--it is delivered this way in Manhattan (part of the paper, not Sunday's news!), I don't know if it's done that way anywhere else.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Jayelle

I get Sunday supplements delivered on Saturday here in New Jersey. As the previous poster mentioned, you get the supplements like Travel, Arts and Entertainment, Real Estate, etc. along with the Saturday news sections. You still get your Sunday news sections (e.g., Metro, Sports, Perspective, etc.) on Sunday.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:21 PM
pastis

you get the supplements on Saturday only if you subscribe.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:59 AM
ohoh

We subscribe to Washington Post and always get the suppliment sections on Saturday. Paper is too big to wait until Sunday