Trip Report - New York & Boston - Sept 2008

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like to thank those who responded regarding transportation from JFK to Midtown New York and Boston hotels in Back Bay and the Wharf area.

We've (my wife and myself) been to NYC several times in the past few years (sights such as Brooklyn Bridge walk, Staten Island Ferry, the Met and the Frick have been done/seen several times) but never to Boston.

We arrived at JFK and took a taxi to the Hilton on 53rd. Excellent location due to its proximity to Central Park, Times Sq, Rockefeller Center and 5th Avenue.

On the way from JFK it began to drizzle. After checking in we walked under umbrella to Central Park and quickly decided this wasn't going to be much fun. We then headed over to MOMA (not really big museum goers and even less so for "modern") and attended the Target-sponsored free Friday evening.

After a few hours it was confirmed that "modern" isn't for us.

Eventually we ended up near Times Sq and went into Ellen's Stardust Diner. Definitely not gourmet but a fun place as the wait staff are entertainers between jobs hoping for a break. They take turns singing and most are very good.

We were surprised to wake up the next day to sunny skies. While it got cloudier as the day progressed, it never rained.

We wandered into FAO Schwartz and spent a few hours walking thru Central Park. We found ourselves on 5th Avenue and the low 90's. The Jewish Museum was open (on a Saturday?) and free though the gift shop and several of the exhibits were closed.

We viewed the exhibits and then headed down the Upper East Side. My wife continued on the shopping streets to Bloomingdale's while I veered into the Park looking for the Bow Bridge and some photo opps.

Later, after a short stop at the hotel, we took the subway to the Little Italy/Chinatown area. As in most major cities, the subway wasn't a problem.

On the way to Little Italy we walked along Canal Street. Business doesn't seem to be suffering. The Festival of San Gennaro was taking place and while it was fun to see the large crowds on a warm mid-September evening, it was too crowded to sit in an outdoor restaurant for dinner. Since we had decided to eat Italian food in Boston's North End, we went up Mott Street to a Chinese restaurant named Wo Hop. It was recommended by a police officer who told us she goes there all the time.

There was a small line (good) outside the restaurant and quite a few Chinese people eating inside (also good). The food was pretty good. We went back thru a mobbed Little Italy, made our way back to Times Square and took a slow walk back to the hotel.

The forecast for the next day (Sunday) was mostly sunny and a hot mid-80s.

As usual, I got up early and went out to take some photos. After a snack breakfast we headed over to Times Square to take in Broadway on Broadway. Every year in mid-September Times Square is closed off (it's only closed twice a year - for New Years Eve and this event) and the Broadway shows kick off their new season with a presentation on a stage in the Square.

Can you imagine going to New York for a few days and seeing part of about 20 Broadway shows in a couple of hours?

After enjoying many of the shows' signature numbers we decided to leave the steaming Square and head up 5th Avenue. My wife went into some of the stores while I went over to Top of the Rock for some spectacular views from above. Due to the sun and haze it was difficult to see south in the direction of ESB but the views north were exceptional. The Park from a different perspective.

After another walk thru The Park we headed back to our hotel, picked up our luggage and went to Penn Station to catch the train to Boston (why is there no escalator down to the track?). The train arrived on time after a pleasant ride.

We stayed at the Harborside Inn that's a very short taxi ride from the South train station. We were concerned that a hotel described as being in the Financial District may not be what we wanted.

It's a boutique hotel with 2 computers in the lobby for guest use, "ok" rooms and a good price. The location was excellent. It was a five minute walk to the North End Italian restaurants, across the street from Quincy Market and Long Wharf and 5 minutes from the Freedom Trail and downtown sights.

With the sunny, warm weather we took a leisurely walk thru most of Boston.

Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market
Holocaust Memorial
Old State House
Old Corner Book Store
Granary Burying Ground
State House mini tour
Beacon Hill - Mt Vernon, Louisburg Sq, Acorn Street, Charles Street
Boston Common
Public Garden
Back Bay - Commonwealth Ave, Newbury, Boylston, Prudential Center
Boston Public Library (amazing)
The Embankment along the Charles River

That evening we walked to the North End and wandered around Hanover and Salem streets. Our restaurant selection was based on the posted menu and the restaurant being almost full. We selected La Galleria 33 on Salem and were happy with the choice though I'm sure many of the area restaurants would have been as good.

On our second day we took the T out to Harvard and started off walking down Brattle Street to see some of the homes. We veered into Harvard Yard going into the Law School Library. It's funny to see that only tourists were wearing Harvard t-shirts or sweatshirts.

On the way back we transferred over to Back Bay for a bit of shopping and around 4PM my wife decided to go back to the hotel to rest. Being non-stop, I decided to take the Water Shuttle (1.75 each way) to Charlestown.

After a very pleasant 10 minute boat ride with great harbor views I arrived at the Navy Yard.

As I was going aboard Old Ironsides I realized there was a promotion ceremony taking place. A sailor was being promoted to Chief Petty Officer and his wife and kids were there. Interesting to watch. I went down and took a look at the canon along both sides of the boat.

I was almost glad that I got to the Bunker Hill Monument 15 minutes after it closed. I'm not sure the 293 steps would have been good for my legs.

That evening we decided on a splurge dinner at the Chart House on Long Wharf. It was very good and definitely upscale.

On our last day my wife decided to try the Water Shuttle I'd taken the day before. I liked the idea of taking another ride in the harbor at a different time of day. The very sunny warm weather made for great views. Upon returning we wandered thru Quincy Market and its very large crowds. After an outdoor snack lunch we picked up our luggage and headed for the airport.

Being adventurous, I decided to try the T to the airport. Since we each had a suitcase and a carry-on we were somewhat apprehensive.

There was a T stop with an elevator (yes, an elevator) right outside the hotel. A second elevator took us down to track level. Getting on and off the cars was no problem as it was level.

Two stops later and the T was at ground level at the airport. So far that was almost too easy. There's a complimentary shuttle bus from the T stop to each terminal. I was a little surprised that the one part of the ride to the airport that was expressly intended for the airport, the terminal shuttle, didn't have a low-rise deck and double-wide doors. It had luggage racks but it was a three-step narrow climb to get into the bus. Still quite a painless experience and I would do it again.

We found Boston to be a fairly small, clean city and the locals were very friendly. A great little getaway!!!

Photos of the trip can be seen at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select New York & Boston 2008.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you had fun. You're pictures are great!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
yk

Thanks for posting your trip report. Glad that you had nice weather in Boston on your trip.

Taking the T to/from Logan airport is pretty easy, IMO, as long as one doesn't have multiple huge suitcases. Plenty of locals do that daily.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Very nice trip report and photos. You really did see a lot during your visit. I had to laugh at your description of the weather - it's in the 30s today and windy in Boston - I froze walking over to the Quincy Market area from my office near South Station meeting a friend for lunch!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

MarieF,

I live in South Florida so I'm used to warm(hot), humid weather.

However, there's a big difference between walking around in long pants in a city with the heat bouncing off the buildings and walking around in shorts or going from a/c to a/c to a/c as we do here.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
yk

Myer - I finally got around to look at your photos. They are great! I miss those warm sunny days iin Boston (Like MarieF, I'm freezing to death here today.)

I haven't done the water shuttle to Charlestown - really love the views (your pictures) from the shuttle. I'll have to do that when weather gets warm, which will be NEVER!

Again, thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Wow those are some great pictures. I am a New Yorker and loved the Central Park pics. I even made one my laptops's wallpaper.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks for posting this Myer. I'm sooo jealous you've got your own web pages and can post photos without using a photo a public photo sharing site. Photos are great.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie,

Having your own web site is really no big deal.

It doesn't cost much to reserve the name and hosting is about $10. per month.

I also use the site for my email. So I don't have to live with all that advertising.

I guess the issue is the program that displays the photos.

I wrote that myself using HTML, ASP.NET and Visual Basic.

I learned how to do that several years ago but have lost most of those skills due to lack of use. I just made a few changes to get more images and links on the front page and it took some effort.

Anyway, thanks all for the comments.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

maggie,
Central Park is special. We've been to NY 3-4 times over the past several years and make it a point to spend time in The Park almost every day. Just walk side-to-side and up and down.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:01 AM
yk

I forgot to comment yesterday on your picture of "Make Way for the Ducklings" in the Public Garden. I have never seen the sculptures free of children and kids climbing on the ducklings. It must have been your lucky day.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

yk,

A few kids were just walking away.

One of them probably jumped on and burnt themselves.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Hi Myer---We live in Boston and last visited NYC in '07. These are wonderful photos! Are you a professional?
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

socialworker,

You bring up an interesting point.

No, I am not a professional photographer. I'm a long-time amateur. I use a digital SLR camera and have always had an SLR even in the film days.

I do process (post-process) all of my photos using Photoshop. My goal isn't to add any kind of special effects but to make the photos look like what I remember seeing.

Most people don't realize that our eyes are fantastic. They adjust to varying light conditions on the fly. Our cameras (regardless of how expensive) cannot do that. They take an average and do the best they can.

For example, if you have a scene that's in the shadows on one side and in the sun on the other side. When scanning the scene visually, your pupils will close down in the brighter side and open up in the shadow side. This permits you to seen detail on both side.

Unfortunately, your photo will be too light on one side and too dark on the other side.

The trick is to adjust those areas that are too dark or too light.

Also, some photos will have a cast. It's quite common for winter shots to have a bluish cast and indoor, non-flash photos will have a yellow cast, etc.

This can also be corrected/improved quite easily.

socialworker, we can try an experiment. If you give me your email address, I'll send you an email and you can return 3 or 4 of your photos and I'll process and return them just to see the difference.