Search

Restaurants in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Maui

Last question all.....after researching dining options any opinions on the following?

1. Roys
2. Mama's Fish Market
3. Plantation House
4. Tastings Wine and Bar
5. Pineapple Grill

less expensive:

1. CJ's Deli
2. Aloha Mixed Plate
3. Pa'ia Fish Market
4. Cafe O'Lei
5. Fish Market Maui

This may be my only trip ever this far away (Texas girl) so all suggestions are much welcomed!

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM

Roy's is good, but Mama's Fish House is the best restaurant on Maui. You have to get reservations days/weeks ahead and I recommnd lunch because of the great view. The food is phenomenal.

Cafe O'Lei is also fantastic and very well priced. You need a reservation a day or so ahead because it is so popular.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM

Mama's is very scenic and has very good food, but wow is it expensive. I love it, and I go there everytime I'm in Maui, but the last time we both said " $57 for a piece of fish?"
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM

I also had a very disappointing, expensive meal at Pacific-O's. The setting was wonderful, the waiter totally inept and discombobulated, and the food only so-so.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM

You know, there are two Roy's on Maui. The one in Kihei seemed like a big cafeteria to us. Very loud. The food is always great. Didn't go to the one in Kahana bu it is a nice area. Mama's is tasty but expensive like all have said. We've been in the evening. Sunset is beautiful if you can get it. The setting is nice. I like when the torches are lit to.
Paia fish market, very casual. Good food.
We too, had a disappointing experience at Pacific O last time. It used to be excellent.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 04:23 PM

Yes, Mama's Fish House is expensive - but it is such a great dining experience, especially for dinner. Highly recommended if you can afford it.

If you simply want a fairly inexpensive meal and want to try the local fish, Paia Fish Market is good.

Both places are located on the North Shore.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 04:34 PM

1.Mama's Fish House/Paia(the best)
2.Pineapple Grill
3.David Paul's Lahaina Grill
4.Kimo's/Lahaina
5.Hula Grill/sunsets
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM

You wont see a lot written about Tastings here on fodors and other travel forums, but we ate there and loved it. The clientele were mostly locals and regulars. It is not much to look at on the outside (or the inside, really), but the menu items were interesting, and delicious. Of all the restaurants we ate at, this one had the most inventive menu and the best service. Try it.

Haillimaile Genreal Store should be on your list.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM

iamq is right. The Hali'imaili General Store SHOULD be on your list.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM

Dined at Roy's in December 2007 and it was oone of our most disappointing meals. It has a real "chain" type feel to it. Food was promising on paper but just didn't translate. Our three best meals on Maui were at Mama's Fish House, A Saigon Cafe (a hidden gem near Wailuku...doesn't look like much but lunch was awesome) and Sansei in Kihei (also have a Kapalua location that we've been to in the past).
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM

You certainly won't find much about Tastings since it has been closed for more than a year!

As for Roy's, well a lot can happen in a year. Roy's Kihei has slipped right off of my list altogether. New chef and new GM since last year, both from the mainland, brought with them mainland attitudes and sensibilities. Which amounts to $$ saving efforts that may save the store a few dollars but have taken away the little extras that made it worth my while to eat there. Prices at Roy's have jumped dramatically, menu has been reduced to fewer choices and staff has been reduced, resulting in many of the long-familiar friendly faces being replaced with a revolving door of new staff. I never minded the noisy atmosphere when entrees were priced in the $25-30 range and the staff knew us and took care of us. But now the prices are in the $30-45 range and the last time we went we waited a full 20 minutes before ANYONE came by the table to take our drink order.

If you like small plates, as Tastings had, you might want to try Mala Wailea at the Marriott, or perhaps the much-anticipated Bin 69 will be open when you are here.

Another wonderful place I have tried not long ago is Ko at the Kea Lani. Ko has a different menu, with dishes that pay homage the plantation days and using all local ingredients.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM

That's too bad about Tastings closing! We were there in February 07. What happened?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM

I would also skip Roys it is not what it used to be.

Hula Grill is good. Kimo's is good for prime rib and used to be good for fish, but the last two times the fish has been dry. However, the sunset it awesome.

Mala's on front street just behind the Safeway is excellent and fun.

Io's is probably the best meals we have each time we go.

Pineapple Grill is also excellent and not to be skipped and equal to Io's maybe a little better.

Some friends just came back in June and ate at David Paul's, which they said was probably one of the best meals they have had in Maui and they have been going about once a year for about 20 years.

Mama's Fish House is supposed to be good but it a little bit of a drive from the Kanapalli side.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM

my favorites and i was just there last week at all:

PLantation house, great great food, and excellent service. Beautiful inside !

Mama's -food is very good but the ambiance is awesome. one of my favorites places just because of the ambiance and yes it's expensive but most meals are at the places you mentioned.

Kimo's - one of my fav's the fish is the best, (it is not dry and was not on this trip) the best mouthwatering fish ever.. i just think the restaurant can get warm at times.

Hula grill i love it due to the location and the food was better last year when i went this year it was good but not AS good.. the place was packed also for a Friday night good thing we had reservations.

we also went to Capische in Wailea which was excellent too but i 'd say go at sunset so you get a good view as we went after sunset and not the best view but meal was great and $$$
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

We had a great meal at I'O in May. Everything was excellent.

We also liked the Paia Fish Market.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

thank you all....i'm adding a few of these to my list...I just hope I can make them all. I appreciate the info on Roy's, wouldn't want to waste a great meal on the place...looking VERY forward to Mama's.

We leave Friday at 1200....
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM

We loved tbe Paia Fish Market so much that we ate a quick lunch there a few times when we were there last year.

We didn't go to any of the better restaurants mentioned. We went to Spago at Four Seasons and Sea Watch - both in Wailea. One of the bests meals we had on our trip was at SeaWatch, and it was a little more than half the price of Spago.

Enjoy your trip. If it wasn't such a long trip from the East Coast, I would go back in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM

Aloha Redzin!

Another HUGE vote for Hali'imaili General Store. Don't miss it! Mama's to me is over-rated but I agree with Rosie, the ambience is very nice. We also love Spago and Ferraro's on the Beach. Both are located at the Four Season's. Make reservations no matter where you decide to go!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM

Aloha.

Mama's Fish House was a culinary highlight of our trip to Maui. If price is an object, go for lunch. You will still have the view and the ambiance, but significantly lower prices.

We also enjoyed shopping the local markets for local fish and fruit and grilling our own fish to serve with fresh fruit salsas. There are grills in the parks on Maui.

Have a great trip!
Saige
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM

You should add the following to the list (just below Mama's):

Merriman's Kapalua - fabulous oceanfront setting (next to Kapalua Bay) and wonderful food incorporating locally-grown produce

Nick's Fishmarket - fabulous food and incredible service (simply legendary). and the strawberry flambee dessert is a must

As for less expensive (Maui's weak point in tourist areas compared to other islands):

Definitely Paia Fish Market (then cross the street to Ono Gelato )) but Aloha Mixed Plate was flavorless IMO. Even Da Kitchen Express in Kihei was better for plate lunch meals. Didn't try the rest on your list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -