four days in Montana

Search

four days in Montana

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
four days in Montana

We will be flying into Jackson and spending four days there and then four days in Yellowstone. We plan to fly out of Bozeman-- where should we go? We have three sons aged 3, 9, & 11.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM

So, how many days do you have between Yellowstone and departure?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM

Check airfare out of Bozeman, because it can be very high. You might do better flying out of a different town.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

We have four days before we depart which we would like to spend in Montana.

We have checked flights and the price difference is minimal between flying in/out of JAC vs flying into Jac and out of Bozeman. Consequently we plan to fly out of Bozeman so that we aren't backtracking, etc..

Given the above, any suggestions? We have never been to Montana and know very little about the state.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM

jeanned,

I live in Bozeman so I hope I can help you some.

Try starting here:
http://www.yellowstonecountry.net/default.asp

This is the visitmt.com weblink to the southwest region of Montana that encompasses Yellowstone, Bozeman and Big Sky. It's a deep link with lots of info on the region.

Try also doing a search in this forum for Bozeman - there are many travelers comments on things to do in the area, e.g. Museum of the Rockies, Headwaters of the Missouri, Lewis & Clark Caverns, great hikes with varying degrees of difficulty - all these would interest your sons and are do-able as a family. There is also nice strolling, shopping and dining in downtown Bozeman.

Also check bozemanonline.com

And keep asking questions as you learn more. We're here to help you if we can

-doo
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much doohickey. this is very helpful. I think that my boys and we would enjoy all of the things that you suggested. Where do you suggest that we stay?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM

Your boys will love Montana, I think. Every "boy" thing there is to do is found in Montana. Plus, it's beautiful country at every turn. Enjoy yourselves there.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM

Would your guys like a guest ranch? You could find one with fishing, hiking, horses, a pool, nice food, cabins, relaxation, etc. There are oodles of them in Montana. You could google to find some.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

yes, i think we would like a guest ranch. I saw this as an option in one of the web sites that doohickey recommended. Just not sure if there are activities at these ranches geared toward a 3 year old. i need to look into it further.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM

jeanned,

For lodging, if you opt out of a dude ranch, I suggest looking into the very cheesy-sounding Come On Inn in Bozeman. The place is far from cheesy though and it's great for families with lots of things for kids - and adults to do, including 4 pools. I have friends in Bozeman who actually check in as a family for a day or two over a weekend so they can let their kids loose for a day and they can do their own thing knowing the kids are safely nearby.

Otherwise, the Marriot Residence Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn are a couple of good choices. If you were a couple I'd also recommend the Voss Inn, a B&B in downtown Bozeman but I don't think it's suitable for families.

Enjoy!

-doo
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks doohickey
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM

I bet your three year old would like the Museum of the Rockies, and your nine year old definitely will. The Museum has a great dinosaur section; I have a four year old that loves it.

Also, Lewis and Clark Caverns is a great trip for kids that age. My sister is a tour guide this summer, and I used to tour guide up there when I was in college. The Caverns have some truly amazing formations, and the tour takes two hours from the visitor's center.

They might also enjoy a trip to Virginia City and Nevada City.