Christmas in Santa Fe... a trip report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, Santa Fe was everything I dreamed of...and more.

I flew into Albuquerque. Anyone renting a car should know that there are no car rental desks in the main terminal. You have to take a shuttle to the Car Rental Building. It was all easy..
I had reserved a compact car, which I always do, and was upgraded to a Mustang. Whew!! and away I went.. straight up I-25. It only took about 20 minutes til I saw all these very colourful lights flashing in my mirror. YUP! BUSTED !
I told the nice officer that I don't speed at home... it was this darn Mustang.. at home I drive a Honda. She took forever checking me out. I suppose because she had to tap into the Canadian files. She finally came back to the car and told me she was going to let me off with a warning, because my record was so clean. whew!!
I used my cruise control a lot after that.

I stayed out on Cerrillos Road , at a typical budget motel. IT was pretty well what I expected. I had a fridge and microwave, so I was happy. It was the Park Inn. FOr the money it was fine.

The first day I went to Museum Hill and went to the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture and also to the Museum of International Folk Art.
The Girard wing was fabulous. I'm not a museum person, but really enjoyed these ones.

On Christmas Eve day, I drove down to Canyon Road in the morning. Since I was planning on staying down all day, a kind woman in one of the galleries told me where I could park. SO I parked on Garcia all day for nothing.

I wandered around Canyon Road and then walked to the Plaza area. I loved it all.
When it was time to eat, I really wanted to eat at Tia Sophia's , but got there just when they were closing.
So I walked back to the square and went into the Plaza. They told me they only had seats at the stools at the counter.. that was fine with me. I sat beside 2 other single women...and we chatted. One thing led to another.. neither had rented a car. SO one of the women asked if she could join me on Christmas Day for my adventure. I said sure.. ..and we arranged a time for me to pick her up in the morning.

Meanwhile I walked back to the Canyon Road area and thoroughly enjoyed all the farolitos. I couldn't believe how many there were and how magical it was. I loved it.

The next morning I picked up my new friend and we headed out on the hight road to Taos. We only got lost once. Not bad!!
We stopped at the wonderful little church in Chimayo. We were the only ones there and were lucky enough to have a conversation with the priest .

We carried on and went to the big suspension bridge over the Rio Grande. An awesome sight. Then on a bit further to the Earthships. Quite interesting , to say the least. Unfortunately the visitor centre was closed. I might have been interesting to learn more.

On to Taos Pueblo, where there were so many cars, we had to park way down the road and hike in through a very mucky road.
We saw the Pueblo and watched the dancing for awhile.

THen pushed on to the Town of Taos.
I was surprised at how much was open.
We ate at Ogelvies overlooking the main square. We ordered a traditional turkey dinner.
So we felt in the Christmas mood. My new friend treated me to dinner.
Very nice of her.

By the time we were finished it was dark, and we had to come back to Santa Fe , in the dark, down the mountain, in the snow, in a rear wheel drive car on a road I didn't know.. Where was my trusty Honda?

Are you still with me?
Part two to come.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM

yEAH!!! You are home and I can't wait to read more. I thought about you and wished we could have gotten together.

More, please.
Deb
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Debi, I thought about you too.
Next time I'll head up your way. I love the rugged scenery and I love to drive.. You'll read about it in part 2.

The whole trip was magical. I absolutely love the whole area.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM

I knew you would. It is really special here.

Stinks about the speeding thing, [been there done that] but luckily they just gave you a warning. I wasn't so lucky (
Deb
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Kodi dear, I have never gotten away without getting a citiation. I am impressed!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Believe me, that was a first for me. But I did have to sign a form, admitting my guilt.

Debi, I did find my little adobe house and the little incense bricks. I burning a pinon one now. I also got cedar, and juniper.. I love the smell.

And I bought some smudge ( is that right?). So, I'll let you know if my house feels better after I try it, as long as I don't burn the house down.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Oh man, Kodi, it sounds fabulous. It is an enchanted part of the USA, isn't it?
Waiting for more in Pinnacle.....