Boston lodging review Sept 07: M227 studio/Marlborough St. Back Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, as there’s been some interest in our experience of this lodging in a previous thread started way back in May (following the good advice of Fodorites to book early)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35001376
thought I would do a separate review for those who bookmarked that thread and as thanks to Fodorites who were so helpful with the ‘condo’ location info.

Website with pics of the lodging in Marlborough St (designated M227) can be found at http://bnbboston.com/boston-bnbs/b&bs_3b.htm A studio apartment with Murphy (or wall) bed, small kitchen and separate bathroom @ U$125-175 per night. The location is tops, walking distance to almost everything, and a T stop round the corner on Massachusetts Avenue, a small grocery/liquor store just a few minutes away, aptly named the Marlboro Market although on Mass. Avenue, and the many restaurants in the area. Low season U$125, shoulder U$150 and high season U$175, prices include all taxes and cleaning. Payment in advance, half on booking, second half two weeks prior to occupancy.

First impressions: Taxi from Logan Airport (ca. U$25 including tip) along Marlborough Street to the studio at #387 confirmed its tranquillity and charm – indeed, the photos of the street didn’t do it justice.

We were emailled the code for the lockbox containing a set of keys as we weren’t in one place long enough for them to follow the usual ‘unhosted’ procedure of mailing a letterbox key.

Usual check-in time is after 4pm, but after requesting an early check-in as our long-haul flight from Stockholm arrived at 1pm, we were installed in front of the bay windows by 2:30pm sipping our celebratory drinks

The pics of the lodging on the website are fairly accurate – although the advertised ‘functional’ fireplace is non-functional, with the chimney blocked off – and the high ceilings give a feeling of extra spaciousness. Murphy was very comfortable indeed, in spite of the most wrinkled set of linens ever encountered, and once deployed, was never uplifted during our stay, as the centre of the living area was merely empty space awaiting the arrival of Murphy. But beware of Murphy’s sharp bite – DH walked too close and hit one of the supporting legs, got a bad bruise and some bleeding [probably more than warranted, we were taking Cartia (a blood thinner) tabs to prevent flyers’ DVT]; and would you believe, he did it again the next day so sported matching blue shins for the rest of our stay!

The view from the two-seater table in the bay windows was magic, including huge trees at eye-level where we got to experience the autumn colour-changes even though our stay was a mere 5 days. Used my multi-purpose sarong as temporary tablecloth to avoid the rather stark bare wood.

The bathroom is well aaah compact, with shower over bath, but clean and complete with a plentiful supply of big soft towels, mats, toilet paper etc.

Of course, there’s a downside. There always is. But it was insufficient to affect our enjoyment of the studio or our wonderful experience of Boston.

As mentioned, it’s an “unhosted” lodging, and all is done by remote. We got the feeling that the owner seldom if ever checked the actual state of the studio: its guests booked thru the Bostonbnb (or vrbo agency), payment through the agency, a cleaner arriving after departing guests to ready the studio for the next lot. With the result that all the cupboards are filled to overflowing with stuff left behind by previous guests ... ten half bottles of shampoo and other toiletries, with labels from Japan to Holland, filled the vanity cupboard, and the medicine cabinet was full of other half-used products. So no room for your own stuff.

A thick layer of dust under the sofa, whose support system had failed in a previous life, but served well to keep luggage off the floor.

The kitchen was also not very well cleaned – with open boxes of crackers mouldering beside various opened jars of stuff, the fridge also complete with previous guests’ food. The freezer was so chockers with ice that the ice-cube tray struggled to find a home. The decorative bottle of pickled peppers seen in the pics is still in its exact place, but now covered with a sticky film of cooking fumes. Don’t think it’s ever been given a wipe-over. The small toaster oven was so crusted with previous guests’ food, we didn’t even consider using it. The crockery/cutlery/glasses (four of each) were spotless though, as the studio is complete with small dishwasher. With the toaster’s condition, we didn’t even open the oven door. Stove top hotplates were fine, and we used this for making any at-home meals.

Our day of arrival was hot and humid, and as the studio only has windows on the front side (a rather faded notice stating two were not to be opened, as they were in the ‘process of being replaced’), uncomfortably stuffy and hot, as was the communal hallway leading to other apartments. The studio is advertised as being air-conditioned, so aircon unit detectives us scoured the place for the elusive appliance. And found it ... would you believe in the wardrobe, which was also crammed full with strange items such as beach chairs and parasols, boxes and a blazer obviously forgotten by a previous guest. The storage drawers were full to overflowing with more stuff, so we managed to push ‘stuff’ aside and use the acquired space to hang a few things, and left the rest in our luggage. We took pics of the condition of the studio both on arrival and departure, just for our own protection – happy to share if anyone’s interested – just in case we were the turkeys as last guests who got blamed for the “mess” and fined.

Next day, Bostonbnb staff phoned. (Studio phone is free for local calls). Electricians were coming the next day at 11am to check some “faulty wiring”. Oh. Not real pleased with strangers coming to interrupt our tranquil sojourn and privacy, but not wishing to experience the buzz effects of faulty wiring, I took advantage and replied “Of course they’ll be re-installing the air-con unit too, won’t they? It’s very hot and stuffy and as two of the windows are faulty and ‘NOT to be opened’ there’s very little crossbreeze.” Major amazement that we have no air-con., as promoted in the website. Even more amazement that the unit is in the wardrobe! Will contact the owner and call you right back. Which she did and yes indeedy, the aircon unit would be re-installed. We might be away, I said, and not here to let them in. Oh that’s even better, she replied, as they’ll have their own key.

Next day, we had a great morning exploring Boston’s delights and arrived back to our condo at 12:30 for a bit of a Murphy. Knowing that globally electricians are never on time, I doubted they had been. But hey presto, our door was open and they were messing with a light switch that led to nowhere. (We had wondered what it was for ourselves and the ‘tricians never found it either, tho they left little bits of plaster as evidence of their search.) They did not appreciate our return. Were curt and tried their hardest to ignore us. I asked about the “faulty wiring”. Told abruptly there was NO faulty wiring, the owner simply wanted to know what the mystery light switch operated.

Surely this could have been planned when the studio had no paying guests in situ??
A discourtesy on the part of the owner.

Once again I took advantage and said the visit was also to reinstall the aircon. Eh? What aircon? Here or in the “other unit”? No, here, definitely – it’s waiting for you in the wardrobe. BnbBoston have assured me it will be reinstalled. Consternation on two unfriendly faces, but the aircon was reluctantly reinstalled and blowing within five minutes. Am sure that if we had not arrived, it would never have been done. To add insult to injury, I enquired who they had received the keys from – the owner or the bnb agency? (There’s a loooong list of instructions and application of hefty fines for misplacing/not returning keys) “From the landlord,” came the response. Oh, ok I replied, I just wanted to be sure they didn’t come from the lockbox, as if they’re not replaced we’re up for a $100 fine. No, from the landlord was repeated.

Little did they know I could see the entry door from the kitchen window, and watched as they replaced the keys in the lockbox! Why on earth tell fibs about something so trivial?

And here may be the answer, there’s something not completely kosher about the legality of short-term renting this studio ... although it’s listed by both VRBO (http://www.vrbo.com/67533 - scroll down for pics of Marlborough 1) and the Boston b&b agency. On one of the instructions sheets in the apartment is the following: “If anyone asks where you are staying, please state you’re staying at (name provided)’s condo; if they ask how long your stay is, just state a couple of months.”

Minimum stay, according to the website, is two nights.

Oh my, what a lengthy review – but knowing some Fodorites are interested in checking it out for future stays, wanted to be up front about the pros and the cons. Even tho there were downsides and minor disappointments, I would still recommend this studio as an excellent lodging opportunity, in the main being comfortable and cosy and equipped with all the necessary ‘self-contained’ accessories and a simply super location, to make for a contented stay at great price value when compared to similar standard hotels at $$$$ more.

We did a quick look-in at the Charlesmark hotel when visiting Copley Square, which was also on our list of possibles @ U$230 pdpn in a small, basic room; in comparing the two, we both were so pleased with our choice of Marlborough Street on all fronts.
The Charlesmark though, is in a high-vibe area with lots of action, and would be great for those wanting less tranquil surrounds.

Separate thread of our relaxed, walking da streets of Boston (no shopping!) report in the ahhhh not too far distant future

If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate .

Jackie
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks FurryTiles !

First thing - here is the link to the unit , yours did not come oujt complete on the p;osting -

http://bnbboston.com/boston-bnbs/b&bs_3b.htm

Thanks ever so much for posting this detailed report - I have wanted to hear since your first thread - I hope you send it along to the rental agencies, etc - although who knows what good it will do, still, some of your issues deserve (in a perfect world) to be fixed asap !

It was a perfect detailed report- so much that I now know exactly who I could recommend this spot to and who I could not. I predict this post will be referred to often and for some, will be a good spot to perch

The leg bruising/bed leg incident brough back memories of same thing happening to my mother in law when traveling with her once in the south -
ouch ! and a long time healing for her anyway, with the thinning blood, etc...

I can't wait for the rest of your report - please do not wait too long !
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
cw

Jackie,

Thanks for telling us how it all turned out. You have a great attitude and I'm glad the apartment problems didn't affect your having a good time in Boston.

I'm sure this review will be helpful to others, and maybe it will prompt an apartment clean-up if you forwarded the information to the B and B website. It does make me think twice now about renting an "unhosted" apartment. There's value in having someone meet you there.

Re: your instructions to say you were staying there a few months--evidently the condo documents must prohibit short holiday renting of the unit.

Look forward to your trip report.

CW
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Lol escargot, see you had the same problem posting the link as I did - must be too long; here's the third attempt ...

http://tinyurl.com/2tq4hg

I will be forwarding the review to Bostonbnb later (trip reports on fodor's have first priority!) complete with photos, and will report their response, if any.

The fact that the owner requires guests to tell an out-n-out porky pie (lie) does not sit well with me, whatever the reason.

We didn't read this paragraph until well into our stay, and had already let the cat out of the bag when we met the occupant of the flat beside ours, who was very friendly and welcoming, and apologised beforehand for any noise her dog might make. Our response was we loved dogs, and were only staying four nights anyway. Never heard/saw it at all, btw, or any noise whatsoever in the entire apartment building - either from outside or in.

Jackie
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:22 AM

LOL FUrryTiles ! I should have checked back to see if mine worked and I am always promoting tiny url's..... yes keep us informed !
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Dear Jackie,
As my son lives in Boston, I have no doubt that the condo owner is not permitted to sublet the condo by renting it out at all and that's why the instructions were to say, if asked, that you were a guest. When my son was at college in Boston, he rented a tiny apartment in Back Bay and signed a lease for a year but finished college mid year. When he saw how much his student loans were going to cost with interest, the reality of this hit him like a ton of bricks. He decided to sublet his apartment and move back home, commuting an hour one way to Boston to work. His lease forbade subletting but he sublet it anyway via Craig's List for various lengths of time ranging from several nights to several months.

The difference between your description of the Marlborough St. apartment and my son's apartment was that I furnished my son's apartment when he sublet it with all new bedding, curtains, etc. and my son, who has helped me for many summers get a summer house rental ready for guests, cleaned the apartment thoroughly between guests, washing the bedding and towels, and throwing away anything and everything that they left.

A couple of comments, if I may:
1) The owner needs to be informed that there is NO EXCUSE for all that food and those toiletries being left behind. Whoever is successfully supplying the towels and washing those glasses in the kitchen could be given instructions to throw out any food any guests leave behind and also to throw out any toiletries. In Boston there is no simple approach to trash removal so it may be that the person who is preparing the apartment has nowhere to put trash. At this point it sounds as if someone needs to come in with a box of heavyweight trash bags and get to work!

2.) The owner needs to be informed that the sofa should be REPLACED so that it serves a better purpose than merely being a luggage rack.

3.) The owner also needs to be informed that the entire apartment should be cleaned thoroughly so that there is no dust anywhere and that thorough cleanings need to take place at regular intervals due to the soot and grime of the city.

4.) The owner needs to provide a covering for the table -- this could be a set of melamine rectangular placemats with botanical prints on them or a wooden tray that would be an appropriate size or some other decorative yet useful covering/container to give the table a touch of home.

5.) The owner should be informed that the stove top oven needs to be replaced immediately, if not sooner. If there is room, the owner should also provide a small microwave oven.

6.) The owner should open that wardrobe and take all of its contents to the sidewalk on a sunny weather weekend so that the good folks in Boston, many of them students, can help themselves to the items. That wardrobe should be completely empty except for good quality hangers.

7.) The description of the fireplace needs to be changed so that it is clear that it is a non functioning, decorative fireplace.

Please feel free to print out my posting and send it to the agency/agencies for the owner/owners, along with your posting.

It really irritates me when people who own properties do not provide the level of service they should provide for those who are helping them pay the mortgage!

Sincerely,
Jane

PS By moving back home, my son paid off those student loans, and now he lives in Boston again -- as it happens, on Marlborough Street.

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi CanyonJane, thanks for all the logical remedies to the downsides of the M227 studio you have posted for the owner; however, all of them cost time/money, and that eats into the profit/savings. Which is probably why the standard of the condo has been allowed to 'slide'.

One part of your post bothers me:

"His lease forbade subletting but he sublet it anyway via Craig's List for various lengths of time ranging from several nights to several months."

What are the consequences for tourists renting a condo for a couple of nights in good faith when they're not aware it's an illegal letting? Can they expect an irate owner/landlord on the doorstep to evict them? Could the original tenant be fined/charged under breach of contract? Others charged for aiding and abetting?

You also said "It really irritates me when people who own properties do not provide the level of service they should provide for those who are helping them pay the mortgage!"

I feel the same way, but doesn't this also apply to illegal subletting? A slightly different wording could be "it really irritates me that people who short-term rent properties do not provide disclosure that subletting is in breach of contract, just to help them pay their loans."

Or perhaps your son gave everyone contemplating renting his condo a heads-up?

Bit of a twister, this.

And apologies if I've offended - not my intention at all; clarification could benefit Fodorites - especially those not from the US - thinking of staying in lodgings through a BnB Agency rather than hotel.

Jackie
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Wow! You had a completely different stay than I had. We too rented the apt. and thought it was great. The AC was in the window when we were there. It was not turned on but it only took 15 minutes for the place to cool off.

There was coffee and condiments in the cabinets but everything else was emptied. The apt is very nice. It's in an old brownstone building.

We came into Boston for a convention and all the roooms in Boston were going for $400+ a night!!!!! We only paid $175 a night!!!

The apt had a murphy bed and I was a little skepical of a murphy bed because I had never slept on one before but it was VERY comfortable. It wasn't a metal type of bed it was a nice wooden bed that felt like a regular bed.

The location was great. The building was silent. We loved walking two streets over to Newbury street for dinner.

I would go back there again in a second if I can save $250-$300 a night.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Chipn,

When was your stay? We were there a fortnight ago.

Think perhaps the condo has changed owners in the meantime, as the address label on the keys was for a totally unknown person. Perhaps the new owner is not as conscientious as when you stayed.

As mentioned in my review, we too found the Murphy very comfortable, the location just perfect - adored Marlborough Street - and at a great price when compared to $$$$ hotels.

Jackie

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Hi Jackie,
The overall situation with the subletting in Boston is this: there are thousands and thousands of students at colleges and universities. Most, if not all, of these institutions do not have anywhere near enough housing for students. To meet this housing need, many old houses in Boston have been turned into apartments like the one you stayed in on Marlborough Street. These are rented by students, both undergraduates and graduates, who are required to sign leases for periods of time that do not necessarily coincide with their academic calendars. Some students leave for the summer and sublet their apartments to other students coming for summer semesters in Boston; other students finish school in December but have a lease that does not expire until September. There are so many of these apartments and leases and students and sublets that it is my belief, and I emphasize belief, that it would become a problem only if no one paid the rent / condo fees / coop fees. As long as the rent and/or fees are paid fully and on time, attention is just not paid to this issue.

This is a case where legal requirements say one thing and local customs say another. If the infringement of legal requirements is discreet, then local custom is to "look the other way."

I asked my son about this just now, and he said, "Everybody sublets apartments and none of them are supposed to but everybody does it and everybody knows about it. I don't know how to explain it to someone from Stockholm."

When my son sublet his apartment, he had the people who sublet it write checks to him personally and he wrote checks to the rental agency which were always on time.

Early this year, my son moved into a different apartment, this time on Marlborough Street. It has three rooms, one for each of three guys. The third guy went back to Asia after finishing school last December so my son took over his rent for his room which was pooled with the rent being paid by the other two guys. Because all the leases go from Sept 1st to Sept 1st, my son now has his name on the new lease for this year, along with the two other roommates. So in that case my son was the one who was doing the subletting.

To close on a humorous note, my son's current apartment was organized to be dental offices. That didn't happen so the owner took the closet and made it into the kitchen (two people can be in there at the same time only if neither one of them moves). The bathroom is off one of the bedrooms so the other people who live in the apartment have to walk through the bedroom to use the bathroom.
The one thing I can say for sure is that this apartment will never be available for subletting by visitors to Boston!

Forgive the personal aside, but I was especially moved to respond to your first posting because my grandmother grew up in Stockholm so I have an idea of the standard of cleanliness of the Swedish culture. My family is going to Sweden next year to visit the places that our ancestors are from: Stockholm and Norra Stro.

I'd love to ask you for advice about our trip, but we're on the wrong forum for that.

Best wishes,
Jane
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Good explanation of 'local' custom Jane -
my kids have done the same - I think the only real problems come should there ever be an issue that something wouldn't be covered (say by the whoever does your homeowners insurance and/or the general building insurance) if in fact the contract states no sublet, a claim may not be accepted for anything - and make it more difficult for claims of any injury, etc to a person renting who is legally not there - that type of thing - it just makes all of that a boondoggle.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jane, many thanks for your response, especially all the details of the 'subletting' culture in Boston. It explains a lot, as I suspect many of the bostonbnb agencies' listings could fall under this category

We enjoyed a T-ride over to Cambridge and loved strolling the Harvard Uni, btw. Gorgeous day, lots of squirrels and yes, lots and lots of students as it seemed to be some sort of 'open day' with the hallowed grounds decorated with bright red balloons! Including His Reverence Mr. Harvard's statue, lol.

We had an amazing three weeks in Sweden, spent mainly in the districts of Gastrickland and Dalarna, and will post a TR on the Europe Board when time permits. (We're not Stockholmers, btw, although my guess is it would be equally difficult for your son to explain the nuances of subletting to Australians )

Be happy to give you any tips I can for your upcoming trip to Sweden. Btw, there's a very active Geneology society in Boston, with special links to Swedish ancestors - if you're interested, I'll dig up the link. They very recently held a ceremony on the opening of the Swedish ancestor section.

Halsningar,
Jackie

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi escargot, and interesting point you raise re insurance in cases of 'cultural' subletting. What if the 'faulty wiring' frazzled me to a calamari crisp? As an overseas guest paying for lodging under 'cultural' subletting, my guess is - not covered at all, and no recourse to recoup any medical costs?

Which opens another can of worms - we had fully comprehensive travel insurance, which incidentally nearly doubled in cost when we put US on the itinerary. Now I'm just wondering whether they would also try to squirm out of paying costs because our lodging premises might prove to be 'cultural' rather than legal?

Crikey, can we get Boston Legal on the case!

Having a larf,
Jackie
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
cw

Just wanted to add a side note to the rent/sublet issue. The unit may not be a rental apartment but a condominium. Condos have their on rules and regulations enforced by the owners or their designated Board or management company. Most documents do not allow for short-term subletting of the condos.

In this case, if the unit owner was breaking the rules, he/she would be told to stop. Nothing, of course, would happen to the short-term renters, nor would anyone blame them.

Gee . . . I wonder if these owners have any idea this discussion is going on!

Enjoying the start of your report on the other thread.

CW

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Hi
I was there on Sept 18 and 19. I thought the apt was great. I stay in apt rentals in many of the cities that I travel to.

If you have an issue with apt rentals then just don't stay at them. Stay at hotels instead.

To each his own.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM

chipn, maybe you didn't see this buried in the post, she didn't say no one should stay there -

" Even tho there were downsides and minor disappointments, I would still recommend this studio as an excellent lodging opportunity"
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

An update:

As the BostonBnB agency had a “Guest Evaluation” form at the very end of one of their emails, I sent an edited version of the review above to them on 26 Sept in the ‘Please feel free to add additional comments’ section, including the preamble “The following review has been posted on an internet travelers forum, as there were quite a few members interested in our experience of this lodging” but not mentioning Fodors.

They sent an acknowledgment and response the next day, thanking us for our evaluation which had been forwarded to the owner for her review.

Not surprisingly, there has been no further response. But is it a co-incidence that chipn joined Fodors the same day with the comments posted on only this thread?

Have just done a ‘M227 Marlborough Boston’ Google, and yes indeed the review on Fodors pops up as number three on the list.

So we probably have more ‘readers’ of this thread than we realise, lol.

Jackie