The Elegant 8 - SF 5/23/07 GTG Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, the Elegant 8 – easytraveler, MelissaHI, FainaAgain, valeriesgallery, withkids, LindaL, Paula1470 and me, met at Shanghai House for dinner and celebrated the GTG in great style.

The report is going to be a joint production, my part is the menu, so here it goes.

COLD PLATES

Vegetarian Goose ( it was so good a 2nd order was added)
Bean Curd Puff (my translation: shanghai kaofu, made of wheat flour gluten)
Drunken Chicken
Shredded Jelly Fish with Green Onion and Turnips
Hot Peppery Beef Tendon

SHANGHAI DIM SUM

Shanghai Steamed Baby Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao, XLB, shanghai soup dumplings)
Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings

RICE CAKE

Stir Fried Shanghai Rice Cake (without meat)

SHANGHAI SPECIALS

Mushroom, Bokchoy & Wheat Flour Gluten (shanghai mein jing)
Sauteed Fresh Shrimp
Roasted Carp with Green Onions (reserved a day ahead)
Salt & Pepper Pig Knuckle (reserved a day ahead, it is really shank)

TOTAL: $110 with tax!!!

We gave a 45% tip.

Calling withkids: I talked to my neighbor who works for the US Passport Office, if you don't get your passports today, let me know and I'll refer you to a government approved expediting service that can get it to you in 2 days for a fee. Same goes for the China visas, I'll refer you to another expediting service. Also contact me, we owe you dinner $$.

So I have a chance to defend myself, the 2 young men helped take our group photos and are becoming new Fodorites recruits!
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM

photos! photos! Who's on photo duty?
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

valerie: Thanks for checking in, did you find your cell phone? It was great meeting you, let me know when you go to Shanghai, perhaps we can GTG there in fall?

Ooh, Faina, wake up please ...

Katie: Melissa is hiking today. We gave the 2 nice young men each a tag and crowned them new Fodorites.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM

OK, before some of us reduce to the arm twisting again, here it goes:

San Francisco GTG 05/23/07, or WithKids and the 7 Fodorites (as seen by Faina)

The GTG had started much earlier when EasyTraveler went to pick up MelissaHI at the airport. How they did it, I don’t know, but they found each other! Without even as much as a pick-me-up sign! Probably we are all sending some Fodorite wibes without realizing it.

I was waiting for Paula outside of my home. Living very close to the Tenderloin area, this draw attention of one concerned citizen – my elderly neighbor. He came up to see why I am standing there, who am I trying to pick up. No, he didn’t call police

We parked on Balboa, and here I have to thank Paula for steering me in the right direction. I almost walked in the wrong door. It was a restaurant. I was hungry. For me, it’s logical. Even before champagne

ET, Melissa, Shanghainese where at the table already. I think ET was happy to see us, as she opened champagne immediately. Or was she just thirsty? LindaL and ValeriesGallery joined us later. WithKids came in for short time. It was nice to meet new Fodorites and old friends.

You know, it’s not bad to drink champagne out of tea cups. Or wine. Or any drink! And the food choice was great, I didn’t even have to open the menu! Very often, when food is served family style, the vegetarian dishes are left behind. Not the case. The food was very good, each dish was accompanied with oohs and aahs. And it was a quiet place where we could talk and hear each other. Or not, if we wanted to

The size of the group was just right for discussions. We talked about everything. And everybody (especially those who didn’t make it this time ) And took pictures. And yes, some of us flirted with the young guys at the next table who took interest in a group of crazy ladies laughing loud. We taught them on the subject of Internet, travel, Fodor’s and to remember it all, gave them the luggage tags.

We exchanged gifts and souvenirs. Katie_H, Fodor’s editor, sent the luggage tags with a nice letter wishing everybody great adventures. Then we took even more pictures. And noticed, all other tables are clean and empty. At 10 o’clock we walked out. Talked outside a little, the evening was nice, no freezing wind as it’s usual on the avenues by the ocean.

It was a really nice meeting everybody, and we thought of making it an annual event. And meeting on a weeknight was as good as on a weekend. Maybe when somebody out-of-the-city is visiting, we can have the next one? Or once a year. Or both. Whatever it is, I am game

Only next time we shouldn’t let Melissa use her tell-all device! No more telling of arm twisting
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
valeriesgallery

I've never seen Ocean's 11, 12 13 or 21 but the Elegant 8!! We were a nice bunch of ladies sharing Fodor stories and 'how to's' and what is/are (how to post? what are threads?)

My favorite was the bok choy (alone without wheat gluten dough), the pig foot (I mean tush), and rice and rice, and hot tea (thank you shang). YUMMY I love cultural exchange around food and good company. CHE CHE or Sh'e Sh'e. easytraveler and shang are great organizers!

The peach beer went to the guy at the hostel who got me cab this am, as I had only 1 hour from the time I got up to get to the hotel. Very early!

Oh, shang, the cell phone is m.i.a. I think its at work somewhere.

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
valeriesgallery

AND of course, last but not least: Paula and Faina, thank you for the ride to the hostel, my digs for the night. I appreciated that!

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Oh, Valerie, I am glad it all worked out for you... except the cell, of course! Try calling to see if anybody answers.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM

ET, are you going to post the list of drinks
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

ET was so generous, she brought an ice chest full of libation and more, I don't even know how to thank her!! Faina gave everyone a lovely bookmark with SF sites. Valerie brought a nice mug for ET and me.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

And for dessert, Mels treated us to Kona coffee chocs with mac nuts that she brought from Hawaii, there was a tussle of them.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Wow, that was fun!! We were plotting to crash the Boston GTG for 2008 so watch out Beantown. No one was apparently concerned that I made it home safely after Easytraveler refilled my cup every time my back was turned? She is a superb hostess. Thanks so much FainaAgain, Shangainese & easytraveler for coordinating everything. I have very little recall of what I ate (except the drunken chicken) but it was all good.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM

it's 10 p.m. in San Francisco and I am finally back online. Bill, we missed you baby! hope you are feeling better.

much much mahalos to Easytraveler for picking me up from the airport and also for taking me to the ferry building. thanks for the goodies and for the massive amounts of alcohol! You are such the hostess with the mostest, I really owe you WHEN you visit me in Hawaii. Thanks also to Shanghainese for taking charge of this event. that sure was a lot of work! and faina, thank you for the bookmark, I have started using it already!!

this was certainly a highlight of my trip. Unfortunately, I can't upload any photos till I get home next Monday....

South Africa, anyone???
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Good morning, y'all!

First off, many, many THANKS to Katie at Fodors for the luggage tags! Woohoo! Now we are OFFICIAL!
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Oops, my computer is acting up - the message posted all by itself!

Faina: did you say withkids has SEVEN kids? Oh, no, you said withkids (who came without kids) and seven Fodorites! Hehe!

We were all old friends before we had even sat down and we became older friends by the time we left (well, we were there for over FOUR hours!). Fodorites took over the small restaurant and we had a roaring good time! Lots of good food kept coming and coming and, of course, lots of good conversation too. The buzz never stopped, sometimes two or three Fodorites were talking at the same time! It was difficult to try and follow every single conversation!

Shanghainese - every dish you choose was superb, indicating your excellent taste! The pig knuckle was awesome! And the rice cake was an all around favorite too! I wore my waist-expandable pants and left three inches fatter around the waist! Great job, Shang!

More waistline padding was provided by Melissa with her delectable Kona Caramacs. Yummy! <@

The two young fellas were so helpful and posed us for a group photo. We offered to give them the pink luggage tags, but they insisted on taking the blue ones.

Faina: the champagne was a Chandon, California Blanc de Noirs

the wine was a 2003 Windemere Chardonnay, from Edna Valley (not available locally as far as I can determine). We picked this one up a couple of years ago on a trip to the Central Coast.

the beer was a Marin Brewing Co. peach beer. I like their blueberry beer the best, but they didn't have any bottled last time I was there.

valerie: I'm so glad you were able to get to the airport on time the next morning. Hope you find your phone!

withkids: best of luck with the passport. Do take advantage of Shang's offer. and Bon Voyage!

Mels: it was fun meeting up with you - shopping, shopping, shopping! No sightseeing please, just shopping. I think I got it!

Paula: it was great seeing you again! Hope you had a safe trip home!

Linda: Hallooo! I'm here! Can you see me through the wine clouds? Just kidding. Great meeting a new Fodorite!

Shang: terrific job! Thanks for the tea!

Faina: Thanks for the beautiful bookmark! Terrific gift!

What a great bunch of Fodorites! We HAVE to do this again SOON!

iamq: last for not least, we missed you mucho! Get well soon!
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I didn't mean to be so domineering with the food choices (I grew up under a dictatorship), it was hard to get a consensus over the din of the conversations, gee, Fodorites do chatter non-stop between mouthfuls of food, tea and libation.

ET: Grand thanks to you, my co-host! I couldn't have done it w/out you. Now we have it down, we can do this again anytime anywhere soon!

Linda: Are we going to crash Boston or NY/NJ next year? Or we can have another one this year down the peninsula which I know very little about.

Bill: I picked up 3 guys this morning before driving to work!
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Shang, which 3 guys? I remember you flirting with 2 in the restaurant, have they found a friend for me
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
iceeu2

tsk, tsk, tsk....you girls!!!! This is the GTG I want to crash next time!!

Old May 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Iceeu2, here is something for you to think about: we are all crash-resistant.

But you are welcome anyway
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Faina: Going shopping with Mels now, will pick up anything, I mean anyone you want!
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Just don't pick up Mr Again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -