Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does Anybody Ever Vacation in Idaho? And Why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've begun plotting our next couple of vacations, and one of the destinations I'm thinking of is Idaho. This is partly because of Yellowstone, since it will be a 2-week trip. Also, we were sent a great bottle of wine from an Idaho winery (yes, I was surprised), and we love good wines. Our son-in-law is working right now in the far southern part of the state, so perhaps we will plan a visit. We look for opportunities for day hikes, visiting National Parks, viewing wildlife, mountains (we live in Florida), wineries, historic sites.

I haven't seen much posted specifically for Idaho. So the question: Would you vacation there? And if so, what attracts you to any particular part of Idaho?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Of course people do. Idaho has some of the best skiing in the country.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Lots of people from the Rocky Mtn states and the northwest vacation in Idaho! Can you say "Sun Valley"? The Sawtooths are fabulous summer or winter.

There was a great trip report on a Sawtooth vacation last year. Search by state and it should come up.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:14 AM

There is some great fly fishing in Idaho....probably the best in the nation.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I had a fabulous vacation at the Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch this past July. It was one of the best trips of my life. I posted a trip report on this site which I have topped for you. Go!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM

We do all the time, but most trips are family related. We spend a lot of time in central and northern Idaho. We camp every year near the Lochsa on the Selway river.

Sandpoint is a gorgeous area both in the summer and in the winter. You can ski, hike, pick huckleberries, shop, boat, etc.

There is great biking and boating in and near Couer d'Alene.

Rafting the Salmon (Main, Middle Fork or Lower) is another great vacation.

The Sawtooths are stunning and Sun Valley is a fun town (although expensive).

I really like the area around Driggs and Lowman, too, but I haven't spent as much time there.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM

We drove from Yellowstone through Idaho stopping in Sun Valley, Stanley and Boise. We LOVED Idaho. It's amazing how much wilderness area is set aside in that state. If you love nature, you will love Idaho. We were there in early September and the weather was perfect during the day and cold at night. It snowed up in the Sawtooths when we were in Stanley. What a beautiful sight that was, especially because we too lived in Florida at the time.

Have a great time!!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM

We lived in SE Idaho for 8 months and loved it! So much nature to go see and explore. I think Idaho is one of those great little secrets
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh, cmcfong, what a WONDERFUL trip report! This is exactly what we are hoping for. Thank you so much for sharing your trip report.

kureiff, thanks for the suggestions, I'll use them. AustinTraveler, where in Florida did you live??

Thanks, everyone!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Craters of the Moon (ice caves in 100 F heat!)and interesting volcanic scenery in the southeast; then on to the gorgeous mountains. Many petroglyph areas and other archaeological sites. Idaho is a fabulous state.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Like others said, many people in the NW take vacations in Idaho. They tend to be hiking-camping-skiing-fishing vacations. With your interests it sounds like you'd have a great time. And, there's the added advantage of being able to go in the height of summer, since fewer tourists go there than other nearby places in the West like Yellowstone and the Tetons. It would be great combined with these parks, too.

If you like historic sites check out this list of Idaho's National Historic Landmarks:
http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/result.cfm
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM

sludick, I am so glad you enjoyed it. We LOVED the IRMR and would go back in a minute!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Ok I live in Idaho (Boise) and think its just wonderful. So many things to do and see. Just like everyone has said. You have the desert, the country and the mountains all in one state. Its just fabulous!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM

You could check out the Red Rock Lakes area of MT (its almost in ID).

http://redrocks.fws.gov/rrl3.htm

We drove the Lolo Motorway this past summer. The Motorway drive is different if you are up to it. Forest Road (500) follows the path of Lewis and Clark.

http://edbrenegar.typepad.com/photos...e_camp_11.html

Another interesting place to visit is Weippe ID in the ID Gold Country. This is where Lewis and Clark met up with the Nez Perce.

http://www.weippe.com/

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM

fishing
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Idaho? Never heard of it. Must be nuthin' but a bunch of mosquitoes there.

Shhhhhhh......
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Naa, just spuds.

http://totl.net/Spud/
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Ok, thanks, THAT'S settled. Now I just have to figure out where to fly into... Southwest Airlines, usually, for the free tickets. Maybe Boise?...

All in all, it looks like we have a lot of ground to cover. Course, it's not a vacation for DH unless we drive at least 2,000 miles...
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM

We've been many times----Boise is a great secret but some of the nicest land we've seen is to the north. We've stayed in McCall and absolutely love it!!! Did a 5 day trip on the Salmon River, camping on pristine sandy beaches along the way. Great place and great times!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Be careful not to go during hunting season: the governer of Idaho would like to kill 500 of the 600 gray wolves currently in Idaho (wants to get one himself), as soon as the U.S. takes them off the endangered species list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -