We Love to Eat!! - Carmel/Monterey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have not been to Carmel or Monterey for many years, so we need your suggestions for places to eat lunch and dinner. These don't need to be high-end, although that is OK as well, just creative, yummy and a little different. Seafood and Italian food are favs! We are going next month, so the sooner we get your responses, the better.

Thanks for your help!!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Hi! In Carmel, check out Bouchee located right in downtown Carmel. Portabella and Casanova are also very good for places in Carmel. In the Highland's area,the Pacific's Edge and the California Market at the Highland's Inn are excellent with beautiful views of the coastline.

In Monterey, we like the Whaling Station and Schooner's Bistro at the Monterey Plaza. Domenico's on the wharf makes some great sand dabs.

In Pebble Beach, Roy's is very nice and I would suggest the White House or the Old Bath House in PG for nice dinners. Enjoy! ***kim***
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:26 PM

We enjoyed a great Italian dinner at Little Napoli, on Delores Street near 7th Street in Carmel, (831) 626-6335, Dinner reservations suggested. When the waitress discovered it was our anniversary, she presented us with a small complimentary bottle of Chianti and complimentary after dinner drinks. Nice touch.

Another very popular Italian favorite, that we prefer for lunch, is Casanova’s, on 5th Street between Mission and San Carlos in Carmel, (831) 625-0501, reservations suggested.

For seafood with a Caribbean flair, you might want to try Bahama Billy’s in The Barnyard in Carmel, (831) 626-0430. The Barnyard is across hiway 1 from Carmel Village.

For pasta or fish in Pacific Grove, we enjoy Joe Rombi’s, 208 17th Street, PG, (831) 373-2416, reservations highly suggested.

~ ben
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Casanova is incredible for Continental food+great romantic atmosphere. Roy's in Pebble Beach is terrific in a hip atmosphere. Flaherty's in Carmel has a very good selection of good seafood, as well as lunch seating.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Kim - Is the Whaling Station just up the hill a block or 2 from Canery Row?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:19 PM

It is on Wave Street, between Irving and Prescott. I just signed up for a free appetizer with dinner on their website for our visit in December to the Carmel/Monterey area. ***kim***
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Mission Ranch is a favorite with older locals and the food is good. Piano bar in the evening with old folks singing old favs. http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

We just ate at the Fish Wife in Pacific Grove. This is an outstanding fish restaurant with excellent food and prices. Really stunning food in casual surroundings. Looks like nothing from the outside.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...the_monterey-i
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Found a website for Fishwife:

http://fishwife.com/
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Robert's White House in Pacific Grove is always wonderful.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I don't have a lot of experience dining in that area but I make a point to visit The Fishwife when I'm licky enough to be in the area. I haven't been disappointed yet.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
je

We've eaten at Abalonetti on the wharf and the seafood is very good. It's a Chef John Pisto owned restaurant who also owns the Whaling Station. Have ot been to Whaling Station but it's known for good steaks. Phil's Fish Market in Moss landing, about 10 miles north of Monterey, is a funky seafood restaurant which is also very good. Il Fornaio at the Pine Inn in Carmel is always good for Italian food and it's fun to watch the action in the open kitchen.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM

alan64, we're also fans of the White House. The Old Bath House in PG is also very good if you want to dine with oceanviews. ***kim***
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Kal

**kim***
Modesto Trip Report this Monday? :-?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
E

Gianni's Pizza on Lighthouse--super casual, out of this world pizza and breadsticks!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I live in Carmel and can recommend the best from every spectrum. For seafood with a beautiful atmosphere, creative cuisine, fabulous service and an ocean view - Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay (Pebble Beach) should be #1 on your list. Tuscan cuisine? Peppoli at the same resort.

In Carmel, a local's favorite for very good Italian is Little Napoli on Dolores. Christopher's on Lincoln, just north of Ocean is wonderful for seafood and other favorites. The restaurant is beautiful, not too expensive and the food is prepared perfectly.
Someone suggested Pacific's Edge - that person has obviously never dined there or doesn't know food - don't do it. It's horrible and ridiculously priced. The only thing good about this restaurant is the view. Domenico's on the wharf? Please...don't dine at the wharf in Monterey or at Cannery Row for that matter. Touristy and dreadful - you can do better elsewhere...don't waste your money and your time.

Stokes in Monterey offers wonderful Mediterranean influenced cuisine. It has creative dishes and it's beautiful.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM
SAB

Tess - I know you are very concerned about giving correct advice--haven't you previously highly recommended Pacific Edge? I believe in the same thread that you called Casanova and White House mediocre.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM

SAB - Do you think that perhaps restaurants change? Pacific's Edge has changed, changed considerably. Have you ever dined there?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:32 AM

A comment of "Someone suggested Pacific's Edge - that person has obviously never dined there or doesn't know food..." makes it sound like SBB never thought much of Pacific's Edge.

If it USED to be good but isn't any longer, perhaps stating "that person must not have dined there recently" and explaining that it's gone downhill would have been more appropriate. But then again, that would eliminate the opportunity to slam someone for not "knowing food".
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I'm sorry, I was commenting on the post by TravelTess (not SAB, or SBB as I wrote)
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Reading the same old songs from somebody who pretends to know or dined or stayed a place, once, years ago gets tiresome and is not helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -