Search

Freaky Friday Rants and Raves, Sept. 30, 2005

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:00 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freaky Friday Rants and Raves, Sept. 30, 2005

It is now 9am Fodor time. Since Jorr hasn't made an appearance yet, I decided to post this for him. I hope everyone is OK with that.

Rant: Jorr, I am quite worried about you. Please let us know you are all right.

Rave: My family from Houston had a very pleasant drive home from Austin Monday. The drive took the usual 3 hours, unlike the 27 hours it took them to get here due to traffic from all the evacuees.

Rant: Hurricane Rita screwed up the weather patterns and instead of rain, we got a major heatwave here in Austin!! We had temps as high at 108. That is unheard of in late September. It's hard to believe our highest temps of the year came in what's technically the fall season.

Rave: The heatwave is over. Whew!!

Rave: Evacuating Houston turned out to be unnecessary for most people, but that's OK, better safe than sorry.

Rant: I am sad for those who were affected so badly by Hurricane Rita.

Have a happy and safe weekend, everyone!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Rave: A mature bald eagle flew right by my car yesterday. A view of one of these magnificent birds always gives a lift to my spirit.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Thanks P_M for starting this.

Yes, I hope Jorr is just "sleeping in" somewhere fun!

Rants: All of the Hurricane aftermath.
Need to go get car inspected, oil change and pay the taxes on it, ughh

Rave: It is sunny and 57 degrees. perfect for a bike ride I plan to do shortly.
just bought plane ticket for my 14 year old daughter to visit her college sister in Dallas for 4 days . They miss each other so much. It is cute.

Have a great day!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Rave: Thanks for starting up, P_M.

Rant: Where are you Jorr?

Rave: The Red Sox won last night.

Rave: MY DH and I leave on an extended road trip Sun. Headed south for several weeks.

Rave: The weather has become quite fall-like and the colors are beginning to appear here in New England.

Rave: I don't have any serious rants today! Have a good week, everyone.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:16 AM
cd

I'm too am concerned about Jorr. Hope he's just sleeping in.

Rant: The weeks go too fast! I need more time to travel.

Rant: The wrinkles in my face tell me I've seen a lot of TIME.

Rave: It's a sunny day and my family is well.

P.M. Hope you had a wonderful Birthday.

Hope all Fodorites have a safe and happy weekend!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:21 AM

TGIF!

Rave: Spending a long weekend in LBI (Long Beach Island, NJ) for Chowderfest! Weather is perfect & water should be warm. Expecting a great time with friends and a much needed getaway from home improvement projects!

Rave: New office space is shaping up great! Hopefully we can move in over the next 2 weeks.

Rave: It's almost October - lots of fun stuff planned including the NJ/NY GTG on the 22nd!

Rave: Surprising DH with ipod nano for his b-day on Tues. (mini rant - I want one too!)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Rave - its a glorious day here in New England. Happy for all the tourists and the locals too.

Rave - (Bragging Alert - avert your eyes if you can't stand the sight of a mother gushing about her kids) We got MCAS (Mass standardized tests) results this week as well as progress reports. My 12 year old scored almost perfect on her test and got 5 A+'s on her progress report. Her transition to middle school has gone very well. We had gotten the results of my 9 year olds back in June and she did get a perfect score! They are so wicked smart... must take afta there mudda ;-).

To be honest I'm just relieved that they both have the ability to test well on standardized tests. I personally think there is an overemphasis placed on such tests but the reality is that if you tend not to score well you have a harder row to hoe when it comes to school. It is more important to me that my girls are kind, thoughtful, trustworthy and love to learn.

Rant - Still so many unanswered questions raised by Katerina. I want to be believe that we are past racism as a society and that the slow response was more about bureaucratic bumbling than race but after hearing the outrageous comments by William Bennett I have more doubts then ever.

Rave - A second friend from work became a US citizen this week. He is so proud and we are very happy for him.

Rave - Started back at the gym after a 5 month hiatus. It feels good.

P_M - so glad your family got through safely.

Rave/Rant - Red Sox - Yankees - here we go again. Almost too stressful to take.

Have a great weekend all - and my prayers are always with my fellow Fodorites who are in need
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM

it's friday! thanks for starting this
p-m...

rave: going to barcelona with my father in november. booked and everything!

rave: i'm in such a better mood here in n.y since it's fall weather!

rave: set myself up for online banking...it's great!

rave: interesting program on pbs about bob dylan this week.

rant: saw a mouse at my desk yesterday!!

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:43 AM

No raves here today. Our beloved cat and best friend, Hector, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. The disease finally got the best of him. As much time as we had to prepare, it is still one of the hardest, if not THE hardest, thing I've ever had to go through. I can't even begin to explain the heartbreak I feel. The only time it doesn't hurt is when I actually manage to fall asleep for a short period of time. I feel like a walking zombie today.

RIP Hector. You were loved so much and will be missed even more.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM
JJ5

Rave: White Sox! Champagne time is here.
Promised my son I would put on my gold Sox earrings and not take them off until it's over.

Rave: Playoffs at U.S. Cellular in October and it is going to be in the 80's perdicted for all next week. Who could have thunk it!

Rave: Tomorrow the big day for all my women- I'm been looking forward to it for months. We are off to "try defying gravity". My Jessica & Mallory are going to die laughing when I show up at Haloween in the "green".

Rave: Best friend's daughter had twin boys this morning. Three total now. Gustov, Calvin, and Wilhelm. She's a tall red head and I think she's starting a German invasion.

Rave: All the folks starting over who aren't waiting for someone to give them directions. I'm surrounded with Gulf imports of this persuasion.

Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend and health to all of us who could use a slice.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:51 AM
P_M
Original Poster

ethel, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've been there myself, and it was as difficult as the loss of any family member. Hugs to you.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Hi. I couldn't get to my computer until now. Too many things to do this morning.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Rave: Excitement over the Red Sox - Yankee weekend. I don't usually watch baseball, but this is always exciting. Notice my screen name vs. which team I listed first (ha ha ). Interesting weekend at my house, DH is a rapid Yankee fan.

Rant: The JETS!! Talk about a curse, this is just ridiculous. 2 QBs down in 7 plays!!!!! Maybe, just maybe Vinny will have another career year (you have to be optimistic if you're a Jet fan, it's the only way you survive!!)

Have a great weekend all!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM

oops, that should be rabid Yankee fan!!!

Ethel - I feel your pain!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:01 AM
P_M
Original Poster

YAAYY!!!! Jorr's OK!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Big Rave: Huge weekend for sports!!!
The greatest rivalry in baseball, Red Sox and Yankees play for the division.
College football Sat.--Gators at Alabama and my USF Bulls after an incredible win last weekend against Louisville go to Miami Sat. night.
Bigger Rave: My beautiful wife lets me be a couch potato on weekends like this.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Rave: The State Fair of Texas opens today!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Rave--It's raining!

Rave--Had a nice hike again last weekend in the Columbia River Gorge.

Rant--DH had to scrap a business trip to Paris (that I was going to tag along on) due to his MBA Professor.

Rave--A trip to Scotland with a girlfriend is back on for January!

Ethel--Sorry for your loss. Pets are definitely members of the family and it is so hard to see them go.

Jorr--Glad you are ok
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Greetings all you FFR&Rer's ~

To LoveItaly ~ Thinking of you all week and still sending you

To Caph ~ Thinking of your family.

To P_M ~ How goes the job search?

Rant ~ Where are you Jorr? I hope all is ok. I have to tell you I thought of you yesterday when my Sophie brought me a " little present" from out in our yard to our patio windows. (Mind you Sophie is a 12 pound lap dog, yikes and the "little present" was still a "little alive".) Oh my, thought of you and your dog instantly!
I hope everything is ok with you, I am concerned, perhaps it's just computer problems? Hopefully you will be pleased we all carried on with Friday's tradition...

Rave ~ I had computer problems this morning but then it "resolved" itself. Maybe it just needed it's morning Earl Grey like it's owner!

Rave ~ FALL! I love fall. I love the crisp, fresh, clean air. I love football games. I love putting on my jeans and sweatshirt again at summer's end. The leaves turning, the sitting in a spot of sun on your sofa as you read your book to warm up, how hot chocolate tastes so good again and soothes your tummy. That first deep freeze that says, "Go away allergies, we got you beat!" I love fall!

Thinking of all those affected by things out of their control, may you find strength and courage. May you find hope.

Happy weekend all, Tiff
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Hugs to you Ethel and RIP, Hector. Hope he runs into our Sylvester-she's the one carrying a bottle cap or wadded up piece of paper in her mouth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -