What restaurants should not be missed- only 2 nights in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be therefor 3- one night we are going to just walk around and have drinks and appetizers at various bars- wherever looks good (unless you have recommendations).

Other 2 nights- planning on galatoire's and Commanders- are these wise choices. Would you change one? We keep getting told we must have dinner at Brennans and Muriels- are these much better? we want a very authentic- fine New Orleans experience (not looking for Italian or Asian- we can get that everywhere).
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM

The night that you do drinks and appetizers you might want to stop at Napoleon House for Pimm's Cup. It's at 500 Chartres St. Very interesting place. They have a web site if you want to read up on the history, etc.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Oysters, sara, oysters...

Visit Acme Oyster House for lunch!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM

We had a great dinner in Muriels which we thought was very reasonable. Once you finish dinner, you can walk up a couple of blocks to Pat O'Briens for a hurricane and people watching entertainment.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:20 AM

The "experience" at Galatoires and Commanders will be unique, however, I would recommend some different places for dinner. Commander's has a jazz brunch that is impressive and you can sample the bananas foster. The past couple of years have seen Galatoires quality go down a little bit.

My recommendations: A good choice is Peristyle, which is very innovative and has been regarded as one of the best restaurants on most lists. Commander's and Galatoire's are very different from Peristyle; the former are much more old school than the latter. I've also heard good things about Muriel's (and you can't beat its locale in Jackson Square) but I have not been.

I know that you said you weren't looking for Italian but you may not realize that New Orleans has a specific blend of Italian food which is different than anything you'll find elsewhere. It's definitely not the std chicken parm/lasagna fare. My fave restaurant in NO (and I've been to quite a few) is Irene's. It's not traditional Italian (try the lamb) and many people would even question if it is in fact Italian. It's famous and has been a well-kept secret (that is, until the last couple of years when more tourists have infiltrated!) for locals.
Have fun!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM

dear sara, i agree with mah about Irene's. we were told about this place from people who use to live in NO and it was very,very good.it does have an Italian influence but it is more continental (more general). another place that i would highly recommend is Nola's. it is an emerils restaurant and we had the best meal here that i have had in a very long time. it is one of their signature dishes. it is the duck. it is smoked and it was so tender it just melted in your mouth. it had other ingredients with it that i can't remember but the combination was impressive. you can go on their website and get the information. i would recommend reservations ahead of time if you decide to go. have fun!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Personally, our favorite restaurant in NO was The Gumbo Shop. (We aren't into fancy places, but we were looking for traditional NO cuisine.) We did a lunch there and it was so much food that we didn't want dinner that night. It will definitely be on our list for a return trip!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Those are a lot of choices for dinner! Why not just go to Muriel's for lunch?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM
KVR

We went to Muriels for lunch and it very good. Also ate lunch at Acme Oyster House twice. It was that good.

The Carsousel Bar at the Monteleone Hotel has complimenatry hot appetizers. Go early though. If you like Martinis, try the Bombay Club in the Conti Hotel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:23 AM

Galatoire's and Commander's are both very good choices, depending on what you are after.

Galatoire's is favored by the local "see and be seen" crowd. They can be seen lingering over a three-hour lunch and several rouonds of cocktails. Having dinner there can sometimes be a frustrating experience for a first-timer, since the cuisine is very traditional (old fashioned) Creole. Many of the best dishes sound very plain, compared to contemporary "foodie" standards. A great New Orleans experience CAN be had at Galatoire's, with the correct approach.

1. Trust your waiter. Put yourself in his hands, and throw the credit card to the wind. This is one place where the the ability to "connect" with your waiter is essential.

2. Unless you simply MUST have a reservation, do not site upstairs. The room is beautiful, but only tourists and very large parties sit upstairs.

3. Take your time. Try several appetizers, sip a drink, have some wine, and again...let your waiter tell you what is good.

4. Be sure to wear a jacket, and preferably a tie. Showing up at Galatire's under-dressed is a sure way to get pegged as a boob.

Commander's Palace, while also very traditional and popular with the locals, is somewhat different. A little less of a museum quality to the place, and a little more contemporary in their cooking style -- but never straying far from their Creole roots. If possible, get a seat in the upstairs garden room. The downstairs dining room is somewhat glum.

You have picked two of New Orleans top dressy HIGH-END places. Was that your intention...to stick to the high end? If you want I less dressy, but still very classy place, my favorite is Mr B's. Kind of "Commender's-light." Less formal, slightly more contemporary in food style, always perfect service.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM

I would recommend Bayona - beautiful patio and fabulous food.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM

I would probably opt for the Brunch @ Commanders & explore Peristyle, Dominiques or Cobalt. Try tripadvisor for a huge list of restaurants.Also fit in Acme for lunch.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM

We've been to New Orleans a dozen times. We've eaten nearly everywhere and try someplace new everytime we go. But one thing is a given, one night on every trip we always eat at Commander's.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM

I would definitely second the recommendations for the Gumbo Shop for lunch or dinner (there tends to be a long wait for dinner) and Commanders for brunch. Have a great time!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Not a resturant but you MUST stop by Cafe DuMonde for Coffee and Beignets.
http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I second BAYONNA--Susan Spicer, the chef, is one of the GREAT CHEF's Of New Orleans...the interior of the place is pink and green , with awesome banquets..A VERY romantic place.
FOOD is to die for..In the heart of the French Quarter...

Bayona
(504) 525-4455
430 Dauphine St
New Orleans, LA 70112

http://www.bayona.com/flash_content/bayona.htm

DEFINITELY high end and you need a coat..but WORTH IT!!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Another vote for both Commanders and Galatoire, but we've always enjoyed Arnoud's as well. No one mentioned it...has it slipped?
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I can't believe no one has suggested Jaquimo's (sp?). It is my favorite in New Orleans, if not my favorite in the US! I think my most favorite food is their alligator sausage cheesecake appetizer.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM

I love Bella Luna for a special dinner--call ahead to request a table with a view of the Mississippi and the Crescent City Connection--beautiful view at night.

I second the suggestion for Mr. B's Bistro--good for lunch or dinner, classy without being stuffy.

I'm of the opinion that both Brennan's and Commander's are better for breakfast than other meals.

Cafe du Monde and Acme Oyster House are great for stopping by and sampling when there's not a crowd.

Most New Orleanians I know like Irene's when they go out for dinner in the Quarter. I've dined there a couple of times and definitely recommend it.

I found Muriel's to be sub-par. My first visit to Arnaud's was wonderful, my second visit a bit of a letdown, but I've not been there in the last two years.

Jazz brunch at Commander's is probably the quintessential NO dining experience in my opinion.

If it's your first visit to NO you might want to do the obligatory visit to Pat O'Brien's. It's very touristy but can be fun. I like the Old Absinthe Bar for atmosphere in the Quarter. Check out the book Obituary Cocktails, which is a nice book on New Orleans bars--it may help you pick a few to sample while you're there.

Have great time! I used to live in MS and went to NO several times a year--now I'm shivering in New England to the point that spending the month of August in NO is starting to sound good!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Definitely skip Brennan's and go to any of the following, as previously mentioned... Galatoire's, Cammander's, Bayona, Peristyle, or alternatively, Mr. B's is good too.

Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -