Key Biscayne and surrounds dining recs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Key Biscayne for a visit this coming winter with 2 smallish children (7 and 3).

I am looking for some up-to-date info regarding good dining options on Key Biscayne, in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
deborahk

v

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM
deborahk

Try the Cuban restaurant on the main road into Key Biscayne. Very causal, family type of place, but I think authenic food. You can't miss it if you stay on the main road. I believe Sonesta drive is near it, too.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:08 PM

with kids: Rusty Pelican. Institution on key Biscayne. Great water views.

for an evening sans kiddies, if possible: Baleen. Very sexy restaurant.
http://www.groveisle.com/dining.cfm

LMF

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if Monty's is still good?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Can you possibly hire a baby sitter and go to Norman's in Coral Gable? Or Azul at the Mandarin Oriental?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh hi Patrick! Yes, I think that I may be able to get someone to look after the kids to get to Norman's. I have always wanted to go there. Is it as great as they say?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM

The Cuban place mentioned above is "La Carreta". Rusty Pelican has a waterview. Coconut Grove has a variety of options.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Monty's (outside) is a great place for kids. A little "funkier" outside place for fish sandwiches/burgers is Scotties. It's in Coconut Grove on Biscayne Blvd. behind the Miami City Hall. Great views. There's places for the kids to run around while you relax. In Coconut Grove, you and the kids might enjoy Tu Tu Tango (tapas for you, regular kids menu for them) or Mr. Moes (bbq/sports bar - with giant stuffed grizzly bear). Central Park in NY has horse drawn carriages. Coconut Grove has people drawn rickshaws. Don't miss those!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Some more questions for all you SE Floridians...

We really like P.F. Chang's. I know that there is one in NMB on Biscayne, butI heard that there is also one at the Falls shopping mall. How close is The Falls to Key Biscayne?

Also, anyone been to the Village of Merrick Park in Coral Gables? Is it worth a look? Any good dining options there for families?

Thanks!

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM

There are really no great restaurants on the Key.Don't go to the Rusty Pelican , the worst! Take the kids to Scotty's Landing behind Grove Key Marina in the Grove, or to Flanagins in the Grove. Coco Walk also has some fun places for the kids. Azul for yourself is great. Cafe Sambal downstairs outside is nice also. Cafe Abracci in the Gables is great. You can take your kids to Archies for pizza or to Spris also in the Gables. We have great restaurants. Pick up a copy of The Zagat for Miami, that will be a big help.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hi again,
P.F. Chang is at the Falls. Better to go there, it is about 30 minutes south on US1 at 136th Street. It is a shopping center with Bloomingdales, Macy's and many shops. Also movies etc. Better for the kids. The other P.F.Chang in Aventura is free standing, no in a mall or shopping center. Also a little secret you can call ahead and make a reservation before you leave the Key.They will give you a table within 15 minutes of arrival.
Forget La Caretta. If you want Cuban food head to Versille on 8th Street. It has been there forever also a good place to take the kids casual.
Scotty's Landing is off S. Bayshore Dr. in Coconut Grove, not Biscayne Blvd.
Monty's is ok, not great. Baleen is very nice and great water view sit outside. It is at Grove Isle also off of Bayshore Dr. Not for the kids.
There is a Thai on the Key which also serves Japanese in a shopping center, but I can't remember the name.
I don't know where you will be staying, but the Ritz has a great day camp for the kids.
I think Norman's is very over rated, but he has his followers.
Merrick Park is our south Bal Harbour, not as great as Bal Harbour. They have some restaurants, but not really for the kids.They do have The Palm. Better to stick to Coconut Grove.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Oh,
one more place to take the kids to eat, Shorty's BBQ it is on US1 just a little south of Kendall Drive, about 20 min from the Key. It is family type with long picnic tables.
It takes 15 min. to get off the key, then most places are another 15-30 min drive.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Trip is approaching (yeah!) so I am topping this thread.

Also, any words about Aquatica in the Eden Roc and Big Pink as good food, child friendly destinations ?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:45 PM

The Rusty Pelican is unquestionably the worst restaurant I've ever eaten at in the Miami area -- perhaps in Florida!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:37 AM

We stayed at Eden Roc last spring and I thought Aquatica had a lot of potential. It will be fine for kids. It is on a deck right on the beach and is uber casual.

Key Biscayne: Bayside is a seafood dive that has been a local favorite for a long time. conch fritters are excellent. Basic seafood dive type place.

My favorite for a big grown-up night would be Baleen. Simply gorgeous and the food is excellent.
The setting is simply awesome, a word I do not often use.

Look at Baleen here:

http://www.groveisle.com/
dining.cfm

LMF
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Rusty Pelican has a new name, and I agree it was the worst restaurant. View was great.

Los Ranchos in Coral Gables has excellent steak and some delicious Nicaraguan food.

Miss Saigon, Viet food in Coral Gables has excellent food.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:42 AM

What a cruel post, miguelegcuadra! So what is the new name of this horrible restaurant? Or are you saying it is now good?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I have seen a new name driving by, no idea about food -service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -