Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Comments on these New Orleans restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 10:35 AM
TC

What restaurants?

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 07:15 PM
Mike

How about Broussards, Mr. B's Bistro, and Nolas?

Best,

Mike

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 07:21 AM
julie

The Gumbo Shop is great. I went there many years ago and it stands out in my mind as tops.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Nola is great. Bayona is better and more romantic. Anyone out there have favorites?

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 07:59 AM
martha

Camellia Grill for diner food the way it's supposed to be, Casamento's for oysters, Bon Ton for bread pudding, Gallatoire's for a trip back in time to sauces and service, and the Acme Oyster House for po' boys.
Yes, these are the places guidebooks tend to mention, but they're still good (unlike certain places that came up with huge alcohol-soaked brunches).

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 11:59 AM
Beth

Here's another vote for Nola. But my favorite was Bacco. Of course, I was only there a few days and missed some of the best like Gallatoire's and Mr B's. The only disappointment was Tujaque's. The atmosphere was nice, but the food was very plain, and the chicken was seriously overcooked.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Thanks for the recommendations. We have been leaning towards visiting Camellia and Bacco and will try to do so on our next trip.

For casual food in a very old building, try the Napolean House on Chartres - great food, dirt cheap.

Anyone been to Commander's Palace or Louis XIV? or is it XVI?

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 01:41 PM
susan

Speaking of brunches...I can't imagine a trip to New Orleans without a brunch at Commander's Palace. As the other poster noted, it's one of those places mentioned in all the tour books, but in my opinion with good reason.

Old Jan 13th, 1999, 03:59 PM
Frank

Last time I was in the French Quarter, I was walking past Landry's and a guitar/saxophone jazz duo was performing. They sounded great, so I went in and ordered some boiled shrimp and cold beer. I really enjoyed myself. So even though Landry's is a chain and not in the Commander's or Emeril's league - it was perfect that night.

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 04:38 AM
JoAnn

We were in NO in Sept. with friends who introduced us to "The Praline Connection" and "Mike Anderson's" We also ate at "The Gumbo Shop" for lunch and it was wonderful--so was their bread pudding. Our friends went to Commander's Palace and were disappointed in the quality for the price. they had been there before. There is a dress code there-so be sure to check that out. We could not get in at lunch because we were in shorts.
And DON'T forget Cafe du Monde for those wonderful Beignets!

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 05:08 PM
Dan

I've visited NO many times on business so the expense account allowed me to sample alot of the restauranrts already mentioned plus others. My comments: Gallatoire's is way past its prime; Brennan's and Mr. B's are so-so but their family-owned Commander's Palace really is great, but hard to get into. I really liked Graham's, which is over near the Windsor Court, and for the best bread pudding anywhere, try the Bon Ton which is just off Poydras near the Shell bldg. Bayona is wonderful as well. But my favorite is a little gem in the Garden District called Gautreax's - I think it's on Sonoma(?), just off St. Charles. Not touristy, has an intimate atmosphere, good service and wine list, , a top-notch dining experience.