Chicago Flash Mob robberies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised to read about the flash mob robberies going on in Chicago. I have heard of this sort of behaviour in other cities (including London), however I was concerned to see the "affected area" was the magnificent mile which is where we will be staying for a week at the begining of September. There was talk that the local police were to step up their presence. Have they managed to get the problem under control?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM

that's what you get for reading Fox News.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
silly response -- If you don't like Fox, you could read it on the HuffPo too, or in the Sun Times. Your choice.

Hopefully a Chicago local will see your question -- I don't know for sure but my hunch is they don't affect the sorts of places visitors would be (as is the case in London).
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM

right but if you follow the news threads, FOX comes up and makes the biggest deal of it. It happened a few weekends between March and June of this year; thefts from young people with Ipads or smartphones; happened a few times with individuals and a few times in shops along the Mag Mile where groups of teens ran in grabbed clothes and left. Most of them were apprehended right away. I don't see it as any more serious than any other big city crime situation.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"right but if you follow the news threads, FOX comes up and makes the biggest deal of it."

The Huffington Post has actually had more stories on this than Fox News.

"I don't see it as any more serious than any other big city crime situation."

Probably true, no matter the source of the stories.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM

I live in Chicago and haven't heard much about these the last few weeks. I have noticed plenty of police out and about walking, on bikes, and using ATVs. They have basically said be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your belongings. Don't wave around your iPad or iPhone, and like in any major city don't take your wallet or cash out on the street. Pay attention to what is going on around you and you should be fine. I hope you have a wonderful time in our city!
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM

As Maria_E wrote, there's been little about the teen-group robberies in recent weeks. There was a spate of robberies one week, I believe, back in June -- and since then, whenever I walk out at lunch from River North down to the loop, or along the Mag Mile (almost daily), I do feel as though I see more city police keeping an eye out. Muggers DO canvas the Mag Mile and Loop, but they're there to rob, and generally not assault or kill. There WAS a man just shot on the State Street Bridge at 5:05 p.m. yesterday -- very rare, and the police believe the assailant knew the victim -- but it does give a person pause, especially when you're on a bus a block from the scene when it happened (as I was).

You really ought to be fine-- but you're in a big city so you really want to keep your smart phones stowed, leave iPads/tablets at home/hotel, wear cross-body bags, and when taking pics (for courtesy), don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk (which will draw attention to yourself, too).

I don't want to scare you. Chicago is a gorgeous, wonderful city - and the majority of us are very friendly and helpful to visitors. I can't imagine anyone feeling unsafe walking about in River North or the Mag Mile. You'll have a good time - just keep valuables tucked away and you won't look like an easy target. And - careful with your bags in restaurants. Keep them on your lap or safely in view - not hanging from the back of your chair.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM

This morning I posted this thread in the Fodor's Lounge:

Seems like it's a growing trend, it's occured recently in Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, Greenboro and others. Solutions seem difficult to come by.

PHILADELPHIA "It was just last Friday night that a mob of 20 to 40 kids, including an 11-year-old boy, attacked two people at random in Center City. Four young people including the 11-year-old were arrested and charged in the incidents.

"When something like this happens we have to do all that we can to prosecute these people and I've assigned the chief of my juvenile court unit to handle this case herself," Williams said.

It's the latest in a rash of violent flash mob incidents across the city which have alarmed both citizens and officials. A number of people have been injured and stores and businesses damaged in the wake of the incidents and fights that break out by unruly teenagers."

"CHICAGO police try to prevent recurrences of recent flash mob crimes. In these cases, social media has been used to broadcast the target area of criminal activity. Teenagers have been using Twitter to notify each other as they target stores on Michigan Avenue and are able to overwhelm private security with sheer numbers in a brief and well-coordinated merchandise grab. There have also been similar crimes that rely on social media to target an individual for robbery in a precisely timed, violent attack.

Police can use search technologies in their investigation to pinpoint social media accounts used by suspects, setting the stage for court orders to obtain user information so law enforcement can gather the evidence and make arrests.

When an individual tweets or posts information about a target, a crime, and a specific time, then this shows intent. When people agree on a criminal plan of action, it becomes a violation of law, and arrests can be made before (or as) the criminal act occurs. We certainly need to tread carefully here because peaceful public assembly is a guaranteed right. However, this kind of interdiction is going to take on an increasing role for effective police. The key is monitoring and analyzing the data in near real-time and giving that information to local law enforcement as quickly as possible."

MILWAUKEE: Questions continue to surface on what may have instigated last week’s violence at the Wisconsin State Fair, where a mob of Black youth stormed the fairgrounds to attack white patrons.

Some say hip-hop at the fairgrounds motivated the attacks. Some claim the youth were avenging Barack Obama’s reputation against white critics. And still, other are saying it’s simply the fact that Black youth don’t know how to act in public.

Despite what may have started things, this sort of mob violence is not an isolated incident. Reports of these “flash-mobs” have appeared in various cities around the nation, leaving parents, community leaders and law enforcement officials searching for sensible ways to explain and contain the violence.

GREENSBORO, N.C. - You've probably heard of the term "flash mob." It's when groups of people use social media to pick a place to meet up and often sing a song or do a dance. Usually, those gatherings are fun.

But, some are turning violent. It's happening all over the nation in places like Chicago, Milwaukee and Philadelphia. Now, it's happening right here in the Triad.

Greensboro police say mobs of violent teens are meeting up on the weekends and wreaking havoc downtown. Police say it's getting worse each weekend.

This past weekend, a former mayor had his business vandalized and another community leader got beat up in Center City Park.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ime&id=8284188

http://securitydebrief.com/2011/07/2...omes-critical/

http://newsone.com/nation/jothomas/q...fair-violence/

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article...h-Mob-Violence
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM

ChgoGal makes an excellent point about purses - never hang them off of the back of your chair. A colleague of mine was recently in a Starbucks near our office in River North when it was very busy, and a man was going through a woman's purse on the back of her chair. So it doesn't even need to be a long meal, people can spot a neglected bag very quickly and dive right in. This can also happen on the L since there is a gap between the side of each chair and the wall, so when you sit down don't leave your purse under your arm where someone in the seat behind you can easily reach their hand forward and get in your bag. Put it on your lap and hold onto it, and always make sure it's zipped or fastened shut. It amazes me how many people I see out and about with their purses wide open. If it's crowded and you have to stand use one hand to balance yourself and the other to hold onto your bag.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM

I throw one of these in my purse; it comes in handy:

http://www.easycomforts.com/EasyComf...ID=0000059593&
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. With recent events here in London I think I should be more worried about visiting my own city!!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM

hoggy, that is too funny! I'm off to London this week so I've been following your riots while you've been following our flash mobs. I think we'll both be safe.