WDW is Jan for my duaghter's 8th BD!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are considering taking our daughter to WDW for her 8th BD in Jan 2005. What on-site WDW resort in the moderate range would you recommend? We thought Carribean Village would be nice since she also likes the beach. What is the weather in Jan like? Is it warm during the day and cool at night? What types of things the resort might do if we tell the resort its her bd? Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Just a note on the weather... while very unpredictable, this January was unusually cold. I wouldn't count on very warm weather. My son's b-day is January 19th, and we have had outdoor b-day parties (in south FL) that have been frigid!

Just wanted to warn you ahead of time... plan for cold, but have fun no matter what!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM

We've taken both our daughters to WDW on their 7th birthdays as surprise trips. The first time we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas which we loved but you are interested in moderates so I'll focus on the Coronado Springs resort which is where we stayed on our second trip. Both of our girls absolutely loved loved loved the pool at Cororando Springs. It has a great long curvy water slide, and has a beautiful ancient Mexican ruins theme going on complete with a pyramid that has water cascading down its steps with giant vines growing on it (not real). The playground was really well themed also. We rented bikes, little boats to scoot around the small lake. You could fish too. The food court had something for everyone, the room was comfortable and the landscaping was great. Check out wdwinfo.com for pictures.

Some complain that the theming is boring. For this New England family the Mexican theming was a real treat - though someone from the Southwest might find it ho-hum. Also you will hear many complaints that the resort is too spreadout. We stayed in the Casitas section which was furthest from the main pool but close to the food court. We never found the walk from the pool to the room to be too much and we are not exactly the athletic type. We would never stay anywhere else at WDW.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Mention it's her b-day when making the reservation. You'll get Disney magic throughout your trip! If you make any priority seatings mention it again. Also, when you visit Magic Kingdom stop at City Hall and pick up a birthday button. You'll get even more "magic" on your trip!

As far as moderate resorts, Caribbean Beach is a nice centralized location as is the Port/Dixie (I forget what they're calling it now-a-days). Coronado Springs is a little far away from the others but if you plan on using Disney transportaion it doesn't matter. Go with which theme she would like the best I guess.

The weather is very unpredictable in January. It is usually pretty cool. However, I remember many times it was warm enough to wear shorts during the day. So unpredictable that the very next day I had on my winter jacket! Plan for cold but check out the weather reports a few days before you pack and leave.

Enjoy your trip!

~Allison
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:49 PM

My family goes to WDW every January and in the last 4 years, it has only been warm enough to swim and really enjoy it once. We're from the upper Midwest, so we wear our shorts and swim, but I couldn't say it was really sunbathing weather. This year we were at the Yacht Club, which was nice, and you could walk to Epcot and MGM. We took a illuminations cruise from the hotel dock to see the EPCOT fireworks and such for my niece's B=Day - it was the highlight of the trip. The captain had a cake and everyone around the boat sang - it was great.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:39 PM

www.mousesavers.com
lots of info and savings...

For a birthday, the resort will have "Mickey" and the gang leave a personalized birthday card, balloons and picture signed by Mickey in your room on your daughters bed. In addition, Mickey will call her and leave a message wishing her happy birthday...

Telling everyone it is her bday might earn you special privys too around the resort so dont be afraid to brag on her big day.

Kind regards,
Amanda