North Coast/Point Arena Trip Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be in the Point Arena area for 3 days in mid-May. Any ideas for fun and/or must-see things to do without wearing ourselves out? We'd love to get suggestions for great casual restaurants; wineries; light hiking; site-seeing. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM

The town of Gualala, a few miles south of Point Arena, is charming, with some small art galleries. Just North is St. Orres, a great restaurant with interesting Russian architecture. It isn't inexpensive, but worth a splurge. At the south end of Gualala is an Arts Center, where local artists work and show their work. Sea Ranch is a development south of Gualala, which was begun in the 1960's by Lawrence Halprin and associates. Houses are sort of clustered with open space in between, both on the bluffs and on the hillside. There are easy hiking trails on the property
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM

(Oops, pushed the wrong button)
Permits are required to park on the private roads, but there are several Coastal Access areas where the pubic is allowed to park and walk to the ocean. There is also a County Park on this side of the Gualala River, on the coastal side.

Sea Ranch Lodge has a restaurant and an interesting gift shop. In Gualala, my favorite gift shop is called "The Velveteen Rabbit"...it has jewelry, books, watercolors, etc.

At Point Arena you are only about 30 miles south of Mendocino.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Not sure if you've already booked lodging, but if you haven't, I strongly urge you to check out the Coast Guard House B&B in Point Arena. I stayed there in January, and was totally impressed by the accomodations, service, and food. Plus, the setting is perfect. www.coastguardhouse.com
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM

A little past Mendocinoe, in Ft Bragg, you can take the Skunk Train - a scenic train ride thru beautiful countryside.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We do have our lodging. We're staying in a house in Manchester right on Irish Beach. We're really excited and appreciate your suggestions!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Well, be sure to do a tour of the lighthouse, and you might inquire about a night tour.

jt has suggested some great things for Gualala and the Sea Ranch. I'd had Pangea to the restaurant list for Gualala.

Be sure to drive up to Elk for breakfast or lunch at Quennies Roadside Cafe.

In Mendocino dine at Mousse Cafe and stroll around town.

In Ft. Bragg, a great lunch can be had at Chapter & Moon down in the Noyo Harbor. Another great place to eat on Ft. Bragg is Mendo Bistro.

MacKerricher State Park near Ft. Bragg
has a neat boardwalk trail that will get you out along the bluff.

Now, let's hpe you won't have too much fog ! Have fun !

R5
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, razzledazzle! Our daughter & son-in-law live in Eureka, CA, so we're aware of the fog. They're going to drive down & stay with us for those 3 days before we drive up to their home for the rest of the week. There's just never enough time (or money) to do & see everything! Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM

We just returned from 4 days at Sea Ranch. On Saturday we had a late lunch in Point Arena. It was at Point Arena Landing...you know, down by the sea. Do not remember the name of it, but it is the only restaurant there. Very good menu, pretty young waitresses, fun to watch the action, from people scouring the rocks for driftwood to dogs chasing sticks to people taking their boats out.

I had a fresh Dungeness Crab Louie salad which must have had 1/2 lb. of crab meat on it. If you order this, first ask if crab is fresh (the season may be over by May) and then ask them for ALL Louis dressing. They put Louis on my pile of crab but brought a separate little tub of vinaigrette for the rest of the salad. Ewww ..what a combination <grin>. (I sent the vinaigrette back and got more Louis.) Friends had really good fish and chips and DH had a fish taco, a little different from ones we have had.

We saw an ad in the Coast Observer for a kind of "tapas" (small plates) restaurant in the Point Arena Hotel. When we finally found the Point Arena Hotel we found an open door with a person and asked about the restaurant. We were told it is only open on Monday and Thursday nights. How weird is that?

We had great weather. I don't think we worry about fog in May up there very much. Mainly in June and July.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:57 AM

When we stayed in Ft. Bragg (north of Mendocino) a few years ago, we very much enjoyed Headlands Cafe (http://www.headlandscoffeehouse.com/us.html) which has live music almost every night. Also, if your family is in Eureka, have you been to Ferndale, about 25 miles south? The whole town is a designated historical landmark (Victorian--and charming)
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, jtrandolph & Diana805! Not sure what we'll have time for, but hope to check out everyone's suggestions. Thanks again to you all!