Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seeking Real Donuts-Tell Me I'm Not Alone!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:05 AM
LJ

The vacation built around Key Lime Pie has given me courage to admit my weakness and that is for genuine doughnuts or donuts, as they are now routinely called.

My husband and I have gone miles out of our way on trips in New England when we've read about a store or coffee shop that sells the true, fresh-made, not chain (i.e. Krispy Kreme) type cakey confection.

The drive to a strip mall in Lee, Massachusetts (now closed, I believe) was worth every yard off the highway. The trip to Corea in northern Maine was not.

We are hikers and like to combine both passions- one takes off the pounds the other puts one.

Any new trails to hike that end in that beloved bite of heaven with a hole? New England, New York, Ontario, Maritime Canada or Newfoundland preferred, but we once drove 400 miles on our motorcycle to check out a donut-rumour; we may just plan an entire trip around the delectable, delightful, delicious doughnut...

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:17 AM
Suzy

You need a trip to Amish country, in the Lancaster PA area, home of good hearty home-style German cooking. You'll find commercial enterprises, local bakeries, mom-and-pop stores, and roadside stands -- all selling their own non-chain doughnuts. Go in fall, have cider with.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:20 AM
Jack

Mrs. Murphy's Doughnuts in Jaffrey, New Hampshire (home of Mt. Monadnock, the most climbed mountain the world or something--sounds perfect for you!).

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:25 AM
amy

Yummy...Nantucket, snack bar at the children's beach. Best homemade donuts I have ever had. Can almost taste them now! Get 2 dozen or there will be none left by the time you get back to the house for the rest of the family.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
nina

Tha name of the snack shop in Nantucket is the Downyflake. The main shop used to be right in town and burned down about 10 years ago. They rebuilt across from the Finest. They send donuts to Children's beach snack shop from there. Go to the Downyflake and get 'em while they're hot, early in the a.m. Yummy! 5 more weeks and we'll be munching them!

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:50 AM
joan

Now you're talking! Best doughnuts I ever had: Marvel's Supermarket, Long Beach Island, New Jersey. They only had one type: sugar -- not powdered sugar, but granular sugar. Used to ride over on my bike as a little kid to get 'em hot!

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:58 AM
amy

nina,
thanks for the reminder! hubby usually runs off in the morning to get them. we are headed up there mid july. between donuts and portugese bread from something natural there is no reason to even start dieting!

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM
John

There are good doughnuts (almost real) to be found at a chain called Tim Horton's throughout Canada...the ones that are called "old-fashioned" are the most genuine, less manufactured tasting.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:12 PM
Ann

I don't know if the donut Connoisseurs will agree with this one or not... Anyone else have those little donuts on the stick on Pier 39 in San Fran? They make them right there, sprinkle a little sugar on them. I love them, and the chowder place just a few shops down too!

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:17 PM
Duncan D'onut

Schultz's Cider Mill in Armonk, NY has terrific cider doughnuts that float along a golden stream of oil, straight into a brown paper bag and hot in your hands. Only about an hour or so's drive from New York City.
Also, The Doughnut Plant in New York has nice big chewy doughnuts that sell in various stores and its own place on Essex Street in NYC. I used to shop at Commodities Food Store in the East Village, where the doughnuts sold out by 11 a.m. almost everyday. And since you were inspired by Key Lime Pie, try to get one of their Key Lime Pie flavors. Yum.

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:09 PM
charles

Hey! Krispy Kreme, though a chain, has excellent donuts. TIm Horton's despite the popular misconception, does not. Dunkin Donuts and Honey dew are even worse - not even worth eating for a donut fanatic like myself.

My suggestions would be - Danish Maid in Astoria Oregon for their fritters, Spud-NUt in Charlottesville, VA, Black Dog in Martha's VIneyard MA (but only for the fritters), Dippin DOnuts Martha's Vineyard... A place south of Providence in Rhode Island has a great reputation (i forget the name) but is always closed when I go there...

Any others? Especially in New England?

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:28 PM
KenCT

Coffee An, Westport CT. It was there before the town was chic and trendy and so it remains. Added bonus of catching a celebrity or two on occasion. Chocolate donuts are amazing.

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:28 PM
nina

Ken, In all the years I've driven by coffe an', I've never had a donut there! Coffee yes, and I always stop so my son can get a donut on his way to school after the orthodontist. Are they really that good?(I have to say I'm not a big donut eater). I bet I go by there twice a day, tomorrow I'm getting a donut!

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:32 PM
nina

Oh and your right about celebrities, I've seen Tom Berenger and Christopher Walken in there, not together though.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:00 PM
joesorce

The old-fashioned plain donuts with a big swirl of chocolate frosting on top are well worth a trip to Reilly's bakery in Biddeford Maine, just north of Kennebunk.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:29 AM
tp

It has been a while but I hope it is still there - Erie Blvd. Syracuse, NY, Abe's donuts!!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:34 AM
Kathy

Joan, I think I know where you are talking about. We were on Long Beach Island in 1991 and our friends who frequent there yearly knew of this little store with a guy in the back that sold only sugar donuts. They were the absolute best donuts I've ever had!!If I ever go back I'm definitely stopping there!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Joe

Trust me...nothing compares to Tim Hortons Donuts....Krispy Kreme is just a sicky sweet, wannabe donut....Tim's all the way.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:14 AM
martha python

Heidelberg Pastry Shop in Arlington, VA.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
doe

How about the stand at the pike place market in seattle. served hot in a greasy bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -