Top Chef Travels: Tom Colicchio's Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I watch Bravo's Top Chef every week. We recently sat down and talked to Tom Colicchio about his go-to spots in Charleston.

http://www.fodors.com/top_chef_travels/002720.cfm
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM

I read then reread the interview with Colicchio and kept wondering where Farley Beach was. Then I realized, he meant Folly Beach. I've never eaten at the barbeque place he mentioned there, but we do have good barbeque places all over SC.

I agree with him about Hominy Grill in Charleston. If we eat there when we're in town, it's usually for breakfast and it's usually very good.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Had a good laugh about his rec for the Hominy Grill. Visited Charleston in Aug 2005 and made extra special effort to get to Hominy Grill. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was a Sunday and the food wasn't fresh, but I had such bad food poisioning after visiting, we almost had to go home. Needless to say, don't have any positive comments about Hominy Grill.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM

He sure didn't give up much about Charleston dining.
RW Apple of the New YOrk Times (unfortunately now deceased) did a MUCH better article about charleston about 2 years ago. I'm sure it can be pulled up online.
Little places and big places.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I thought the article was weak. Charleston has such fabulous restaurants, and I was really excited to hear about his recommendations of the "best of the best". Needless to say I was quite disappointed. He didn't mention any with the exception of Bowen's Island.
I agree with the poster who was confused about "Farley Beach" too. I figured it had to be Folly he was referring. How can Fodor's have published that article with that mistake?