Reload this Page >

La Guardia Airport to Manhatten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Robert

For a group of 4 someone suggested it is cheaper to share a cab from La Guardia Airport to Manhatten for a total cab fare of about $22 plus $5 tip compared to shuttle van which can cost $15 per person or $60 for 4 plus tip. Is this correct?
Also is there a subway from La Guardia to Manhatten?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Ted

No subway from LGA to Manhattan. Definitely share a cab.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
thereuare

There is a public bus that will take you to the subway, but with 4 people the savings is not enough to deal with the hassle. Plus, to get the free transfer from the bus to subway, you'll have to get a metrocard before you get into town. (with the metrocard, trip will cost $1.50/pp, without $3.00/pp).

I also recommend you take a cab.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 03:26 PM
suzanne

Your price estimations are correct...take a cab! It's not only the cheapest, but also the fastest way to Manhattan...it'll take 15 minutes if the traffic's not too bad. Shuttle vans typically stop at a bunch of places, so it can take awhile!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
soho

You can hire a private car service for about the same price as a taxi--larger cars for the same money. We use them for all trips to and from airports. You pay flat rate plus tip(usually plus tolls too), they will pick you up at the airport and take you nonstop to your destination. We get them in back of NY Magazine, but you could probably find a website. Many of them use off duty limos for the trip, others use Lincoln Towncars. We have never had a problem.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:29 PM
rqf

The current going price for a car service is $25 plus toll, tip, and possibly a waiting time charge or a parking fee. If you are going to midtown, west side, the meter will read under $20 not including tip and toll if the toll bridge is taken. Trip is not likely to be done in 15 minutes. 30 minutes is more like it.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:46 PM
JD

Car service or cab prices are a toss up (car services are fixed fare, cabs are metered) but in general if its not during rush hour, I've actually found the cabs to be a little cheaper, as rqf mentioned. If it is rush hour, you may want to use car service just so you don't sit in traffic watching the meter tick every 45 seconds.Also, figure on paying for any bridge or tunnel tolls ($3.50) whether you use a car service or a cab, depending on the route taken. 30 minutes is a more reasonable estimate of time, though of course it (and the fare of a metered cab) depends on where in Manhattan you're going.
(BTW, though the cab is still your best bet, the last time I checked on fares on Supershuttle, you don't pay the same amount for each passenger after the first--it was something like $15 for one person, 23 for 2, etc--they know very well how much cabs cost when they set the fares, and noone would pay $60 for 4 people when you could literally have a primate limo for that price!)

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Rose

Glad I was browsing this site - 4 of us will arrive at JFK and need transportation into Midtown in March. I would have automatically taken the shuttle, but this car service idea is sounding better and better. Anyone have a company they care to recommend? Any information would be appreciated.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:44 PM
lisa

Well, actually Rose, if you're coming from JFK into Manhattan it's a flat rate of $35 plus toll and tip. That makes it a fare of $38.50 plus tip, regardless of the number of passengers. I don't think you'll get a car service that cheap and you won't have to worry about the meter in traffic since it's a flat-rate. Go with the yellow cab.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:52 PM
rqf

As was mentioned taxi fare from Jfk is fixed at $35 plus tip and toll. Private car service fare, for most companies, is also $35. Suggest the taxi since there can be additional parking charge for the car service. Another advantage of the taxi = you don't have to worry about hooking up with the car service driver.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Rose

Thanks for the excellent advice. Please excuse my ignorance, as I have only used taxis around Manhattan, never from JFK . . . will the "Fixed Price" have to be negotiated?, and will it take 4 of us and 2 small bags to 56th street? I understand that tolls are extra, and I'm always happy to tip for good service.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:56 AM
Howard

Rose, it's a fixed price. Period. No negotiations involved. And, yes, they'll take 4 people with 2 small bags. They'll take you even if you have two large bags!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:07 AM
Rose

Lisa, RQF & Howard - thank you. You just saved us some money, which I'm sure we can spend on something else, like cannoli and cappuccino!