Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Truckee or Incline Village at Lake Tahoe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 04:12 PM
JFG

Our family will be skiing at Lake Tahoe this winter for the first time and we need some help deciding whether to stay in Truckee, Incline Village or somewhere else. We want to rent a house that is near the slopes. We have all ranges of skiing ability in the family and kids who want to snow board. We also want to be close to a good selection of restaurants and possibly some shopping for days we don't ski. All I know is that we want to stay on the North or West side of the Lake. What do you suggest?

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Monica Richards

They're both about the same distance to the slopes, pretty much. Personally, I would stay in Incline because it's right along the lake. Truckee is a good 45 minutes away, so it's not quite the Lake Tahoe experience. But the best place for what you're talking about is probably Tahoe City. It's a bit more built up than Incline, and there are more restaurants and shopping (but it's still got the North Lake Tahoe feel). If you stay in Tahoe City, the best restaurant is Tartuffo (something like that anyway). It's pretty darn expensive though, and more of an "adults only" kind of place.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Patrick

I am not a skier, so maybe not the best person, but we often visit with my partner's brother and family in Northstar, half way between Truckee and the Lake. It is a big complex with a big variety of total ski facilities, condos or even houses for rent. Do a search. I'm sure they have a website.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Patrick

I found the web site. Look at www.skinorthstar.com
Only drawback might be the restaurants and shopping right there. But you are not far from Truckee or the north shore where there are a lot of nice places. Better shopping in Truckee than along the lake. I would think you might want to rent a four wheel drive (you'll be required to do chains if you don't have one), so the driving would be no problem. Northstar also has a shuttle system, so kids can go to one area and adults to another, and not worry about the times and meeting. I've never skied and never wanted to, but going to Tahoe in the winter almost gives me the urge. It is spectacular. Will be there between Christmas and New Years this year, but don't look for me on the slopes.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:57 PM
jenny

Mt parents haved lived in Incline for the past 15 years, and we vacationed there even before that. Truckee is a quaint town that people drive thru to get to the slopes. The few restaurants do get crowded. I'd stay in Incline, and make the short trip to visit Truckee (you can see it all in a couple of hours with lunch and window shopping). Incline has a lot more rentals and one big hotel (Hyatt).There's also one ski resort (Diamond Peak; which happens to cater to families and does have snow boarding). Although Incline is where all the mansions are, there are no fancy, upscale restaurants (lots of family ones, though). You'll have to make the drive to Tahoe City for that (30-45 minutes on clear roads). Try Sunnyside or Garwoods. Great food, locations, and you can take the kids (but it isn't what I'd call a family restaurant, ie no kids' menu). Have a great visit (you're smart to stay at North Shore; the South is very commercial, yet it does offer more ski resorts).

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Doug

I know you said you want to stay at a house but I was in the Tahoe area twice this summer and can give you some hotel info.

The Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe is right on the North Shore in Incline Village. It's a great location but the hotel is undergoing a major renovation that won't be finished until near the end of 2001. The Hyatt does have cottages which are actually closer to Lake Tahoe than the hotel rooms and I don't think those cottages are involved in the renovation.

The Resort at Squaw Creek is a very nice property on the California side of the lake (but still on the north part). This Resort is not on Lake Tahoe - it's about 5 miles from the Lake. I believe this is all hotel rooms - no condos or cottages.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 07:38 PM
BillJ

Give NorthStar a thorough look over. The neat thing there is the condo's (all sizes and prices). A short shuttle bus ride from your condo, your on the main lift to the middle of the hill. This is a bowl, with a nice lodge for sun decking, lounging, eating, etc. All of the gentler slopes feed right to the lodge area, so we found keeping track of kids easier. Also, because all trails (except a few on the back side) feed to the bowl, family roundevous(sp?) is easier.
When you are done for the day, you can ski all the way down to your condo doorstep, or if you wish, ride the lift down. I would say of all the ski resorts in the Tahoe area, NorthStar has to be regarded as one of the most family friendly/oriented. (Of course, many other posters here will argue for their favorite spot.) And Tahoe has an incredible collection of ski areas. But not to fret. There are some pretty good black diamond runs also.
We had many family skiing weeks and weekends over the years at Northstar, with many fond memories. Our kids graduated from bunny to intermediate, to accomplished skiers. I recommend it most highly.
Truckee is a nice non-ski afternoon visit for a some shopping. There's a great chocolate store there, and if you want old fashioned burgers, fries and milk shakes, right there. There are several other nice restaurants, all cater to families.
From Northstar to Tahoe, you must go over a small pass, so the above post recommending 4 wh drive is good advice. Some great restaurants at North Shore Tahoe, Captain Jacks has good dinners and great desserts.
I know you'll love skiing tahoe, where ever you end up.
Have fun!