Search

las vegas - monte carlo vs flamingo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
ltt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
las vegas - monte carlo vs flamingo

hi all. will be travelling to vegas, possibly alone and in my "young" 40's. i've stayed at the flamingo before and thought maybe this time i'd try the monte carlo. big priorities for me are cost and the pool as i plan on laying around it for several hours each day (going in september). the flamingo is $75/night and the monte carlo is $110/night. is the monte carlo worth the extra $$$$. are the rooms or the pool at the monte carlo that much better/newer/cleaner to justify the cost. i was perfectly happy at the flamingo just thought i may like to try something different. any opinions appreciated. thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Actually - either one would be good - the Monte Carlo IS newer, but I like the Flamingo just as well. I guess it depends on where else you want to be - Monte Carlo is next to Bellagio & near Paris, closer to NYNY, etc but there is LOTS of construction going on over there now, which might be something to consider. Either one would be a good choice, but for me the construction traffic/mess/inconvenience would send me to the Flamingo ...
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I liked the Flamingo. Who cares where you stay. Are you going to be spending that much time in your hotel room? Spend the extra cash on Tom Ford sunglasses at Lunettes in the Paris Hotel.

Superficially Thin
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
lvk

The Flamingo has a great pool area. Their newer, "Go Luxury" rooms are retro and fun, and some have a view of the Bellagio fountains.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Bashful, when you talk about the construction...how bad is it? I am tacking on a few days in LV after spending a week in Utah, never been to LV. I am not a gambler just thought since I am flying out of LV that I would check things out for a few days. Is staying in the area of MGM/NYNY a mistake? The thought of construction noise leaves me with the thought that maybe I should stay in Utah! Any input is appreciated! Maybe I should check out the Flamingo!! I picked MGM for the pool...not a bunch of noise! Thanks..
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Isn't the Monte Carlo the hotel that had the major fire just a month or so ago.... I'd think that the aftermath of that would be enough to take it off the list until a complete restoration is finished.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Allison - the construction is around the strip and Harmon (where Harley Davidson is) I honestly haven't been over there in a while just because the last time it was such a mess. They're building the new MGM/Mirage "City Center" and it's causing lots of traffic slow downs. If you're planning to stay at MGM or NYNY it shouldn't be too bad - the Planet Hollywood, though, is right in the thick of it.

IMO - the Flamingo pool is nicer than the MGM, but that's just me. I happen to love the Flamingo and to me the MGM is just too huge and spread out. If it were me, I'd go for the Flamingo.

If you do end up at the Flamingo - check out the afternoon show - Society of Seven - they are VERY talented and put on a great show. I think it's about $50 per person which is cheap for the strip, but worth every penny & more. They were Hawaii's premiere showgroup for nearly 40 years and rarely disappoint an audience.

Keith - any damage that was caused by the roof-top fire at the Monte Carlo has been dealt with and all is well there now - no need to stay away for that reason. The traffic/construction mess might be another matter though.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Monte Carlo is the better hotel, with nicer rooms and a good atmosphere. Flamingo is older, less easy to navigate but has a better location. Is Monte Carlo worth the extra money? probably not.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM

I vote for the Flamingo. I have stayed at the Monte Carlo and I don't think it will be worth the extra money for you. From what I understand Flamingo has a better pool and IMHO their location is better. I remember staying at the Monte Carlo and finding it a pain to navigate my way in an out of that place with the construction going on next door. Their rooms are great though but not worth the extra money.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM

I would choose the Flamingo based on it's great mid-strip location.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
Ani

I love the flamingo for its location and pool-and I think they have great service as well. Most of the rooms have been renovated and we are staying in a new "Go" room with a strip view next weekend for our 10th anniversary. I'll let you know how it is.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM

No one's mentioned the lazy river pool at the Monte Carlo- very relaxing to float with the current.

Does the Flamingo have one as well?
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM

I like the Flamingo because it is easy to get in and out of (for a mid strip hotel) and close to so many dining spots that we like.

For September, be sure to choose a place with a pool area that has plenty of misters, because September in LV is blazing hot and you won't be spending all those hours around the pool if there isn't some misty spray cooling you off.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
lvk

Ani,

Make sure you ask for a Strip view room in the southern corner, so you can see the Bellagio fountains. The pink bathrooms are such a hoot, with the TV screen in the mirror. Also, they offered to upgrade us to a "Go Luxury Suite" for $40. If I were with my husband on a romantic trip, I would have done it. Maybe if you tell them it is your anniversary, you might get a better deal.

We also liked the Flamingo because it was a short walk from the elevators to the Strip. Just FYI, though, we were talking with a woman that was staying in the older rooms, and she said they were pretty run down.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ani

Yep-already gave them the info about our anniversary-will definately ask for a South facing room as well-thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM

We stayed at the Monte Carlo a week ago and were extremely disappointed.

We were given a nasty room and had to raise a stink to get moved.

Worse--it is located next to a huge construction site that is noisy 24/7 and the crosswalk that used to be in front of the Monte Carlo is no longer there, making it a long walk to anyplace you want to go.

Please, please, please--forget the Monte Carlo.

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the update. Can't get info like that anywhere but here!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM

Stayed at Monte Carlo last night. The sidewalk construction problem is cleared up. Had a fine room and a wonderful time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM

The south facing rooms at the Flamingo look out to Ballys, across Flamingo Road. If you look over to the right you can see the fountains at Bellagio. If you get that side then you want the west end of the south side.

Better would be a strip side (west) room at the south end - view of Caesars and Bellagio. That is the better side of the corners, as mentioned before.

The best rooms I've had at the Flamingo were on the south side, tho.

I stayed at Planet Hollywood last month. The construction there is done. The construction across the street was not a problem at all.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM

3 of us just returned from vegas in feb.
definitely stay at the flamingo!
excellent pool area, gardens and flamingos.

treat yourself to the spa, reasonably priced and soooooooo worth it!

flamingo also central location.

check out jimmy buffet margaritaville right next door and sepohora for all cosmetics.

life is good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -