Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

List Of 11 Great Vegas Restaurants! Please Pick Two For Me.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying this post again. I will try to be more defined for the forum. I will be in Vegas August 4th.

The following are the recommended "best" restaurants from previous Fodorite's posts. They are:

Bradley Odgen's - Ceasars
Delomonicos- Venetian
Guy Savoy's - Ceasars
Le Cirque - Bellagio
Mon Ami Gabi- Venetian
Mikado - Mirage
Nobu - Hard Rock
Okada - Wynn
Picasso - Bellagio
Prime - Bellagio
Voodoo Cafe + Lounge - Rio's

Question: What restaurant has most interesting decor, ambiance with great food and service. In other words, what would provide most memorable experince? Please list in order of your preference. Also, would it be better to eat dinner before a 7:30pm show or after due to crowds? The show would be approximately 1.5 hours.

Thanks again.

Frank
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM

1. Restaurant Guy Savoy
2. Foundation Room (Mandalay)

Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear Gekko,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I noticed something interesting about your picks. Neither are listed in Fodor's "Restaurants" guide. To new? What's up? Guys was pulled from a previous post and didn't even see a post on "foundatin room".
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM

With one possible exception, Picasso is your best bet among the 11 restaurants listed. It combines excellent food, excellent service, and a dining area providing a view of Bellagio's fountains, massive floral sprays, and great art.

The possible exception is Guy Savoy. It's quite new, and I haven't tried it yet. It's clearly aiming at the title of best restaurant in Las Vegas. Whether it meets that goal remains to be seen. Since the tasting menu runs $290, figure around $400/person for the meal with a modest glass or two or wine, tax, and tip. That's a lot more expensive than any other place on your list.

Having said that Picasso is the best on your list, I've got to say there are two others, not on your list, that are better still.

Joel Robuchon at The Mansion (MGM Grand) is the best in Las Vegas (again, with the possible exception of Guy Savoy). It has an incredible 16 course tasting menu whose dishes are not only delicious, but visually stunning. Of course, this comes at a price - $325/person. A la carte is available only on request, and typically costs even more. There's a limited six course tasting menu for under $200/person, but it didn't seem nearly as interesting.

Alex (Wynn Las Vegas) is almost as good as Joel Robuchon at The Mansion. The food is almost as tasty, but the presentation is "merely" excellent (on a par with Picasso). The tasting menu runs $150/person.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Of your list, I've eaten at Le Cirque. Thought the food was very good. The circus-theme decor was a bit out there and the atmosphere a bit "chichi-foufou"...but if you want interesting decor, that might be it for you.

I've also eaten at Mon Ami Gabi, our worst meal. The restaurant itself was nice, but the food was very heavy to the point that we couldn't finish it and felt a bit ill afterward.

We had fantastic meals at the:
- Eiffel Towel restaurant (dinner - dark, mood-lighting type of place with great views of the Bellagio fountains and Vegas).
- Andre's French restaurant (dinner)
- Commander's Palace (brunch).
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Restaurant Guy Savoy is about 2 months old and by far the most extraordinary restaurant in Vegas. No comparisons. Guy closed his restaurant in Paris for a month so he could properly open in LV, and his son Franck has moved to LV to run it.

Many restaurants can fight for 2nd place, but Foundation Room is my personal choice for #2.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I totally agree with caribtraveler pertaining to Mon ami Gabi. I cannot comment on any others, but through process of elimination I would not include this one on your list. It is way over rated.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM

According to the Mirage website, Mikado is gone. If you want Japanese cooking with a show, head to the Benihana at the LV Hilton. Very beautiful atmosphere and (as always) attentive service and excellent food.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM
trippinkpj

I though Mon Ami Gabi was at the Paris Hotel. Anyway, the one at the Paris was good for me, LOL.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
trippinkpj

Mon Ami Gabi is at the Paris Hotel:
http://www.monamigabilasvegas.com/

I would agree that it isn't up to the caliber of the others. That being said, I would still consider it for a lunch or a more casual (than the others) supper.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Fantastic advice everyone. Thank you.

One more thing. I read some information on the "Foundation Room" after Gekko recommended it and the page stated that it is "for members only" except on Monday's. Also, from the pictures it appeared to be a very cool, upscale bar. Can someone explain this to me?

Based on Lgott's and Gekko's recommendation, Alex and Picasso will certainly be on my list for #2, depending on the Foundation Room responses I receive.

Thanks again Forum!

Regards,

Frank
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Foundation Room has a very nice dining room and is not "for members only" as far as I know. I simply called and asked for a dinner reservation, about 3 weeks ago most recently. It's better that Picasso & Alex, in my opinion, and it offers an amazing view of the Strip from the top of the Mandalay.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gekko!!!

Will do as instructed.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Vegas places like to appear ultra-exclusive, even though few if any are. As long as you have the cash, you're good to go.

(Unlike New York, where cash often is not enough.)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM

I loved Le Cirque. I posted something about a great meal we had there this past winter.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:36 PM

frank444 and Gecko~the Foundation Room at Mandalay Bay has "always" been for members only....must be that within the last few years they have opened up Monday's to the public. I highly recommend checking this place out as it is VERY difficult to get in otherwise. I worked at Mandalay Bay and most employees cannot even go up there. My friend did cocktails up there, her boyfriend was a bellman and she could not even take him up, so if not for anything else take the opportunity to see a fabulous view of the Strip!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Picasso and Mon Ami Gabi. Whatever you do, have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM

I had a very enjoyable meal at Delmonico's - very good service and very nice atmosphere. Tables are well spaced and it made for a very quiet dinner. Didn't see Craftsteak (at MGM) on your list but I had one of my best meals in vegas there. Great steaks.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Mon Ami Gabi would be good for early evening on the patio, before the dinner crowd. You can have drinks and some appetizers while watching the Bellagio fountain show across the street. but for dinner....eeehhhh.....

Prime and Picasso would be good though!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:58 AM

We had a very good meal at the Voodoo Lounge at the Rio Suites. The view up there is fantastic. Another place for great food is the The Palm at Cesars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -