Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, we don't have a bathroom

"I gotta go pee"

"Hang on honey, I'll find a gas station for you"

"Sorry, we don't have a bathroom"

"I understand, how do I go about un-pumping the $50 worth of gas that I just put in my tank?"

I'm sure gas station owners don't hate children that have to pee, and I'm sure they don't hate people who need to buy gas.

But some of them could go a long way towards proving the they don't by letting a three year old girl pee. I know, "if you let one three year old girl pee, pretty soon there will be hundreds of three year old girls lining up to pee every day."

In the interest of family road trippers everywhere, we've started a map of shame at www.familyroadtrippers.com

The first entry earned their spot last weekend when the above scenario took place. I didn't actually ask for them to remove the gas though, but I thought about it.

Dan
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Thanks for posting. Stories like this make me glad that I travel in my RV, and thus bring along my own personal clean bathroom, available at any time. Almost justifies the extra cost of the gas for it!
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Well, obviously if they don't have a bathroom, They hold it all day too, no?

Best of luck on this, it is Brilliant and I hope you change things!!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM

We too are finding that more and more gas stations in rural areas don't have public restrooms, but all fast food joints do.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Jed

Well, we live and learn. I will know to ask beforehand if it happens to me. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Dan - you wouldn't be advertising your website, would you ? Because that IS a no-no.

Old May 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM

It appears that PhotoDad has made some 63 posts on Fodor's. Each one has a helpful tidbit or two followed by a mention of his website. So I don't know. Is that considered advertising?
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM

We make a habit of stopping at fast food places to use the restroom - have much better luck with regard to cleanliness and functionality than with gas stations.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Advertizing, schmazertizing.

I like the thread and the complaint. I really like clothing stores that would rather you try on their $200 jeans rather than offer you a place to pee.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM

In all fairness, some places don't have a restroom that is safe for the public to use. Down a long flight of stairs, full of cleaning supplies, used as a stockroom, etc.
I did once work in a store (in NYC) that really didn't have one, and we had to go out in search of one when we had to pee! I did once work in another store where we had one, but we were categorically forbidden to let customers use it because the boss was psycho. She would have forbidden us to use it if she could have.
Fast food restaurants are almost always a better option.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

When you gotsta pee you gotsta pee

When you gotsta duggen you gottsta duggen

Civilized society would never question that and be as accomadating as possible.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM

They don't want to pay for the TP, soap, cleaning services and other costs involved in offering bathrooms to non-employees.

I look for fast food places also.

It gets to be a problem in the middle of the night when they are closed or drive window service only.

I have been in some very nasty restrooms in filling stations and eateries - fast food and otherwise.

I wonder if eateries think that a filthy bathroom will make people not want to eat there. I know it does me. The people who handle and serve the food are often seen going into those same filthy bathrooms. When that happens, I often wonder what the kitchen looks like? If I go into a filthy bathroom before I order, I leave.

If it's after I have eaten, I worry and try to not think of what's going in in the kitchen.

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I used to lead a lot of group bicycle rides of anywhere from 15 to 100 miles and with 6-25 participants of both genders, mostly adults.

Many merchants see no loss of business when asked if there's a bathroom and they say "No". So when I thought there might be a problem, I'd ask for everyone to put their beverage & snack purchases on the counter so I could pay for them (they could reimburse me later). I'd let the clerk ring everything up and then ask "where's the bathroom?".

Now we either get the use of the bathroom, or the store has lost a sizeable sale AND must void out the transaction too. When they can view it as lost sales the bathroom suddenly becomes available.

Don't make a purchase .. or don't PAY for it, anyway, until you've gained your "potty rights".

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
dmlove

On the flip side....we were in Albuquerque last June, in Old Town, and I needed a restroom. We went into a store (typical t-shirt/souvenir place) and asked the clerk if he knew where there was a rest room that I could use. He pointed right next to himself and said "right there". Not only was I effusively grateful, we bought a souvenir there to show our appreciation.

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM

McDonalds, in the US and other countries, lets you use the bathrooms free...if that is any help at all.

To tell the truth, I dread having to use a gas station bathroom...I have to hold my breath, not touch anything, bring tissues and run as fast as I can when I am through...sooo uncomfortable..
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM

When I worked for a small business, the owner kept the restrooms locked, opening them for clients only. He said, the water is too expensive to keep it opened for everybody.

Yes, the gas stations keep them locked, but I'm surprised they didn't give the key to a client.

As for a 3-year-olds... why not to take them behind the building... you Americans are so spoiled

By the way in San Francisco many businesses have signs displayed "restrooms are for customers only" and McDonalds won't give you the key unless you buy something, does this surprise you?
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I've been wondering the same thing Faina. At least the kid will have somebody to watch over her/him whilst peeing.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM

When we traveled by car and needed to make a stop, it was worth buying a small coke at a McDonalds to use a clean bathroom with toilet paper.

But if one buys $50 worth of gas and still gets turned away, ... well....
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM

In Zurich I had to buy something at McDonalds in order to be given the code to get into the toilet. I didn't mind as it's fair enough to buy something in order to use the facilities (although buying a drink did seem to defeat the purpose of going to the toilet only to immediately refill the bladder). The toilet was also cleaner than the gross, free Burger King toilet in Stratford Upon Avon. The only problem with having to buy something first is if you are in a real hurry to go.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Photodad - I love your website and the idea of identifying uncaring business owners.

I've been told (and this may or may not be accurate) that the station owners are only making about 4 cents a gallon. Could this be true? Well, they sure as heck are making a bundle on a few $2.50 bottles of water I buy (not to mention an occasional Snickers bar) when I go inside to use the facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -