Songdoc’s Maui Questions

Search

Songdoc’s Maui Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Songdoc’s Maui Questions

I’ll be working on the Big Island for a week in June—then spending a month on Kauai’s North Shore—which feels like a second home. Curiosity has finally driven me to visit Maui. So …

What would be the best area for us to stay?
We’ll want a condo (or a place with a kitchen) -- not a glitzy, touristy resort.
If it helps, in Kauai, we love the North Shore.

For us, it’s all about nature and beauty—no interest in fine dining or nightlife. We'll probably spend one or two nights in Hana.

Any suggestions?
Mahalo!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:48 AM

I'm just fresh off my first ever Hawaii trip (Oahu and Maui) and I'm SO jealous of you! Have a wonderful time.

In my experience, the most likely place to find rentals like you're describing would be in the Kihei area (south shore). Alternately, I know of people having good luck with comfortable-but-not-fancy rentals in Lahaina (southwest maui).

The benefit of Kihei over Lahaina is that Kihei offers closer access to the nature activities you sound partial to. Kamaole beaches 1, 2 and 3 are in Kihei, and Keawakapu, Ulua and Mokapu beaches (all good snorkeling from the shore) are also close by. Big Beach and Little beach are big hits too and are only a little further down the south shore.

It's only about a 20min drive to the I'ao Valley State park (gorgeous and a great hiking trail). it's probably about 2 hours to the summit of Haleakala Nat'l Park where the sunrise has been described as "a religious experience" and the sunsets are magical too. Also another spot for great, unique hiking.

Finally, the best part about staying near Kihei or Lahaina is that, if it's raining in the north, it's almost always sunny in those places!

Enjoy!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 08:29 AM

Where are you working on BI? Hilo side? Kona side? I'd focus extra time on BI since you are working and fully explore on your added time there. The BI takes time and lots of driving to truly appreciate its ever-changing landscape and beauty.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:32 AM

It's such a shock to see "songdoc" and "Maui" in the same sentence, I don't know when I'll recover
We've been to each at least 5 times.

If you're trying to replicate Hanalei (funky, beachy, hippie-vibe), your only choice is Paia.

I am not a fan of Kihei. The area isn't at all attractive (or even tropical looking), although it has some good beaches.

There are developments that are a little like Princeville, but much smaller, on Maui. Princeville is gigantic, with its private homes, hotels, golf courses and condo developments. On Maui, there are hotels and condos in the developments and some golf, but none of the private homes of Princeville (they exist of course, but not within the resort areas of Kaanapali (west) and Wailea (south)).
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

<It's such a shock to see "songdoc" and "Maui" in the same sentence, I don't know when I'll recover >

hehehehehe

I've been threatening to check out Maui for years, and now, an acquaintance of mine will have just moved there. I don't expect to love it like Kauai--but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

FYI, I'll be working (at the Kauai (!!!) music festival--which has moved to the Big Island) in the Kona area--at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. I've been to both sides of the B.I. before so I don't need additional time there. I'll have four days before the music festival to relax and enjoy.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll be spending this weekend obsessing over where to stay.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 02:30 PM

I like the Honokowai area - more of the older, low high rise condos- you can walk to farmers market.

One of the condos I enjoyed was the Paki Maui- however I think rates have gone up a lot since I stayed there- I think there are only 3 floors, a small pool, - we enjoyed our condo very much
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed here and loved it. Great view from the lounge area. There is a downside in that there is a busy road outside the bedroom window, so can get noisy early in the morning.

http://www.vrbo.com/347301
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Working and getting paid to stay a week in paradise on the BI!! Some people have the best jobs.

Maui isn't quite the same as Kauai (not as tropical or lush) but it's nice. And thirty days in Hawaii, what's not to like!

I kinda liked Lahina because it is pretty central, has a local feel about it and a lot of history. I've stayed there as well as Kula (which is a lovely residential area but I don't recommend because it is a long drive into the more touristy areas and beaches).
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

<Working and getting paid to stay a week in paradise on the BI!! Some people have the best jobs.>

It's rough ... but somebody's gotta do it ;-). I just got back from working in Ireland and the Netherlands and learned I'm going to be working in Papua New Guinea in October. I have the perfect life ... for a hopeless traveloholic.

Nelsonian: I'd looked at the place you suggested and had it high on my list, but traffic noise in paradise is a deal breaker. So I'm really glad you let me know!

I listed the top places I plan to visit:

Haleakala (at sunrise)
Iao Valley State Park
Hana

I was liking what I saw in Napili-Honokawai, but it seems quite far from the places I want to visit. It looks like the least amount of driving would be if I stayed in Paia.

Again, thanks so much for all your help!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Well I do like Paia although I have never stayed there. One place that has always intrigued me is on the slopes of Haleakala- Makawao - a small paniola town. I have always preferred to be close to the beach so never really considered- but I think for some, it would be a unique place to stay- still might be a lot of driving for your purposes.

http://www.makawaotowncenter.com
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Sondoc getting way off topic here. Do you ever do workshops in NYC or close by? Thinking of a shouting my DD to one if there are any close to her.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 07:42 PM

We too deliberated
Ended up staying in chèvre kihei in an amazing kinda right on the beach but the surrounds were not as interesting at night as say Lahaina...that where I'd stay I think but then the views aren't as nice
I think the North shore is nicer than kihei which has dead little areas ..stores closed down etc but there areas South of kihei area pretty upmarket eight eh golf coursesetc... A different world to kihei
Still we loved loved coming home to the perfect views from our large lanai and the apartment was perfectly fitted out
We loved the old Lahaina luah too..just saying... In case anyone is interested in such events..it was awesome..well worth the price for food setting entertainment and general ambience
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I'm still obsessing and am torn.

Paia and Kihei would require less driving to get to the places I hope to see.

But ...
there are no places with views in Paia; and Kihei itself doesn't sound appealing, although there are some nice places to stay.

A friend keeps telling me to stay in or near Lahaina--and there are lots of oceanfront condos there.

decisions, decisions, decisions ... AGGHHHH.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM

We stayed in Honokawai twice at Papakea (rented a condo from friends) but I really liked it a bit better a few miles north around the Napili area, mostly low rise condos, a few restaurants and it is much greener in West Maui than in Kihei. We did not care for Kihei and once we drove down there and they were burning the sugarcane fields above town so it was dusty. Given your fondness for the North Shore, I think you would like that area. So what if it takes 10 more minutes to drive to Haleakala? You are on vacation after the BI. Paia is cute but would not want to stay there.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 02:04 PM

I'm with Jamie 99- love the Napilli, Honokawai areas - even if it is a bit more of a drive.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 03:32 PM

Songbook if you got a condo in the same complex but not backing onto the road, you would most likely be okay. If I was staying again I would like one right by the sea, so you could see the sea turtles from the balcony!! Probably a lot more expensive than the one we had.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 03:41 PM

Actually this one looks good, I think we might book it for April next year,

http://www.vrbo.com/276826
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much for your help! I think you've convinced me to stay north of Lahaina -- around Napili-Honokawai. There are lots of condos there with great views and reasonable prices.

Nelsonian: That condo looks perfect. Unfortunately, it's not available for my dates.
PS. I don't have any workshops planned near NYC, but I probably will within a year. I'll let you know.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 05:49 PM

Kihei roadside is bleh
But the beaches are gorgeous
My daughter and I were disappointed by the stores in kihei and the restaurant options were limited...big daddy's was fine ..but that's about it....

Up north..you can't see the beach for quite a bit of the coast cow it's all built up with condos..that was disappointing..
Kihei was cheaper for us as family of four and the views of the beaches were unparalleled
The snorkelling was incredible too
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 05:54 PM

I'm having trouble cutting and pasting so I'll just direct you to vrbos royal Mauian # 611 so you can check views and compare prices

This was a two bedroom two bath condo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -