SF area over New Year's: Itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 10 days in SF, Sonoma, and Monterey areas over the New Year’s holiday. We’ve been to the area only once before, and have been hoping to go back for ages. We do have a couple of questions now and probably plenty later on. We decided three nights in each of the three places. So far we’ve booked the last three nights in SF near Union Square at a small boutique hotel --Hotel Maxwell. (We drop off the car before this)

In Sonoma, the first three nights, we’d like to stay right downtown. Our final night there will be New Year’s eve, and we don’t want to be driving anywhere. We assume that the hotels on the square will be very noisy, so we were thinking of the Sonoma Valley Inn, a couple of blocks away. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? We visited Napa on the last visit, so we’d like to stay in Sonoma this time. I’ve been reading everyone’s suggestions on favorite wineries, but in addition, what about a (small van type) wine tour? Anyone recommend one that they’ve taken?

In Monterey, (the middle three nights), is it preferable to stay downtown near the historic area and restaurants, or on Cannery row? What are the pros and cons? Or is staying in Santa Cruz or Capitola a more quaint option? We’ll be traveling from the Sonoma region to the Monterey peninsula on New Year’s day, and plan on going through these beach cities as well as stopping at state parks, natural areas, and walking on beaches since not much will be open.

We are so looking forward to visiting this area again—can’t wait. Any comments? Suggestions? Your favorites? Kathy
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Just a thought, but instead of your days in the city of Sonoma, I'd consider Healdsburg. Both are in Sonoma Valley, but Healdsburg's just a little further north. I think it's a prettier town, with tons of great wineries nearby. Russian River, Dry Creek, Anderson Valley AVA's are all quite near, and there are even a few tasting rooms on the main square in Healdsburg.
I like Sonoma, but I love Healdsburg.

For the Monterey area, we prefer to stay in Carmel (Pacific Grove is our second choice) rather than the city of Monterey.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Alan. I have given some thought to Healdsburg, but maybe not enough. Everyone on this board does say great things about how quaint the town is. I just thought it might be too far north, especially since we'll be driving up to the region the same day as our flight. How much further past Sonoma is it? And is the drive an easy one?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Hi Kathleen,

I'm in the Healdsburg camp too. According to yahoo maps, it's an 11 minute driving distance. It's a straight shot, if you're on 101 (which SFO is on). The area is so nice with lots of options for dining, sleeping and wine tasting. I assume you've checked out www.wineroad.com.

As for Monterey, the historic area and Cannery Row are walking distance from eachother. There's a nice bike/walking path connecting them. I wouldn't stay in Santa Cruz or Aptos/Capitola. There's much more to see and do in Monterey.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Heladsburg is certainly NOT 11 minute further up from Sonoma (the city). From the city of Sonoma it will take at least 45 minutes to get to Healdsburg. All local roads.

However, along 101N from, say Golden Gate Bridge, you will pass HWY 37 E (this one goes to Sonoma) and go north along 101 to Healdsburg and it will probably take you about an hour or so. This does not account for any traffic or congestion that you may encounter along 101 especially at San Rafael, Novato, and/or Santa Rosa.

BTW, from GG Bridge to Sonoma (city), it will take you about 40 minutes (not acccounting for any traffic congestion).
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM

From SF just before the GG bridge (Park Presidio, it takes me just under an hour to get to Sonoma (just over 40 miles).

From the same spot in SF, it's just over an hour to Healdsburg. Distance is around 65 miles, but it's a straight shot up Hwy 101.

However, you really want travel time from SFO since either destination's going to require you to go through SF first just to get to the bridge, and that adds a lot of time. I'd figure on 30-45 minutes additional time, just to get to the GG bridge. 19th Ave in SF can be slow going.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Healdsburg is not 11 minutes from Sonoma, it's 11 minutes longer from SFO to Healdsburg than to Sonoma. This is according to Yahoo maps. I haven't personally timed it, but I do believe it.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I second the ideas of staying in Healdsburg and in Carmel.

Healdsburg is wonderful for being at the "center" of the major Sonoma County wine valleys. It's makes for a great base for Sonoma. If you want to, you could split up your stay and spend one night in the Napa-Yountville area where prices are higher than Sonoma.

Even though the Monterey Plaza in Monterey is a favorite hotel of mine, Carmel is very charming and laid back and makes for a more relaxing place to stay. It all depends on what you want for your vacation.

Have a great trip! And welcome to the Greater Bay Area!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Bill boy, Alan, Thanks for the travel times and route from SFO, probably would have been my next question. I'm re-thinking Sonoma vs Healdsburg. Have to say, I'm still slightly more interested in Sonoma though.

Catbert, thanks for the info on the walking path connecting the two areas in Monterey. I'm leaning towards the Cannery row hotels, since it might be easier to come and go from the hotel if it's not in the town center.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Easy traveler, I was writing and posting while you were posting, so thank you for the west coast welcome. We certainly are counting the weeks until we're there. I haven't put any thought into Carmel. But,I'll do some research.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM

If Sonoma town is your choice, the Sonoma Valley Inn is not, IMHO, a great choice. Better just off square lodging can be had at the Inn at Sonoma and El Pueblo. Also, the Lodge at Sonoma
can be had at less than their website
rate by using Priceline-we've enjoyed some very nice mini-escapes over there.
Their restaurant, Carneros Bistro, is Very Good. I live in southern Sonoma County (about 10 mins. from Sonoma town)
and I'd give yourself 1.15 driving time
at non-commute hours. You will get a bit of a break on traffic as it will be the week between Christmas and New Years.
It's great here this time of the year,
BTW, and as ET says, Welcome !
R5
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I'm another Healdsburg fan. We have close friends in both Healdsburg & Sonoma, and we visit them both often - just up to Sonoma last weekend.

The town squares are comparable. Our Sonoma friends say the dining in Healdsburg is much better - an we agree.

The big differnece between the two, IMHO, is what's immediatly surrounding the town centers. Sonoma is quite trashy in most directions. Healdsburg is not. In 3 mins from the town center in Healdsburg, you can be in the beautiful Dry Creek Valley, which is my favorite winegrowing region. The drive from Healdsburg north & then south to the Napa Valley via the Alexander Valley is very picturesque.

Also agree with those suggesting Carmel instead of Monterey. I'm not a big fan of the Cannery area - a little too "fake" touristy for me (outlet stores, tack souvineer shops, etc). Carmel has done a better job in putting a lid on the trashy stuff. Pacific grove would my second choice behind Carmal.

Try to find my post about "north of San Francisco" for a nice drive up to Healdsburg.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Well, the votes are in. I guess I'll be booking in Healdsburg and Carmel. (I'm so glad I didn't already book in the other places). Both Healdsburg and Carmel seem like the charming towns that we're looking for.
Stu, thanks for your clarifications. I'm off to look up your "north..." post now.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Razzledazzle or anyone else..need advice on wine clubs... (razzledazzle: I was following another thread where you mentioned you were a member of wine clubs..thus, the question for you).
Looking to give my brother-in-law a wine club membership as a wedding gift. Any recommendations on which club/ clubs I should be looking at?
Thanks!
p.s. Never been to Sonoma thus no comments on this thread. Hope to get there someday!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Sonoma isn't "quite trashy" 3 minutes in every direction from the town square.
How absurd ! That is quite simply
over the top gross mis-information and quite misleading for the OP.
It may be an opinion, but simply is not
a 100% fact !
Ok, Maybe a little bit around the Hwy 12 at Boyes Hot Springs area. Both towns have spots of warehouses and such.
True, that you can be in the Dry Creek Valley in 3 mins from the town center at Healdsburg, ( the drive from the square to DCV 'taint exactly a photo
opportunity until you cross the RR tracks and go under Hwy 101-well, THEN it get's scenic),but you can also be
at the city corporation yard, 3 mins in
another direction. Charming.
Also,I find there to be very good dining in both Sonoma and Healdsburg,
that's my experience, kathleen.
R5
R5
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for weighing in razzledazzle. Even if we stay elswhere, I know that I want to go to the town square in Sonoma. Many say that it's quite charming and with some outstanding restaurants. I'd like to experience a few of the towns (and many of the wineries)in the region since they'll each have a personality of their own. I enjoy small towns.

Stu, someone topped your north... post. It's great. Thanks.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

>>Sonoma isn't "quite trashy" 3 minutes in every direction from the town square.
How absurd ! That is quite simply
over the top gross mis-information and quite misleading for the OP.<<

Our definitions of "trashy" might be different. I consider strip malls trashy and Safeways with huge parking lots trashy. That's what is predominate when you head directly west, and then it gets better and becomes....housing tracts. If you head northwest towards Boyes Hot Springs, it is quite gruesome by anyone's standards, as you have mentioned. It's that way for at least 15 mins, and sometimes quite a bit longer because the traffic is bumper-to-bumper at times. I don't find the drive south to be scenic at all, although it's probably not trashy. I can't recall how long it takes to get into scenic terrain going east - haven't done that recently.

Both my wife & I are preservationists - usually concentrating on preserving cities and old houses. We both feel thet Healdsburg has done a much better job in keeping down ugly developement (both post WWII ugly, and current developement) than the town of Somona has.

I wouldn't argue restaurant quality, because that's a matter of personal taste. Our Somona friends go to Healdsburg to dine. There are only 3 restaurants outside of SF that are awarded 4 stars by the Chronicle. One is in Healdsburg. The Dry Creek kitchen is quite nice, as is Ralph's Bistro, Manzanita, and others in Healdsburg. Our Sonoma friends did not have a good word to say about the restaurant that went into Piattis - and the Chron. seems to agree. Girl & Fig in Sonoma is quite nice, and I understand Jepsons is also. The OP should consult the restaurant reviews at SFGate.com to judge for herself - but that, of course, is also based on someone else's opinion.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Hello!

You're visiting 3 of my favorite areas. I grew up in SF, regularly visit there, & check out the wine country & Monterey/Carmel coast at least annually.

Have fun in SF. Have a drink at the top of the B of A Bldg. -NOTE: Hubby needs to be wearing coat & tie to get into the bar. GREAT views!

Sonoma Mission Valley Inn is WONDERFUL. Even if you don't stay there, be sure to drop in & have a drink so you can see all the holiday decorations. Now that I think about it, I've always stayed in Napa or Santa Rosa not Sonoma. But I've gone & eaten/drank & attended weddings at the Sonoma Mission Valley Inn.

I'd probably stay in Carmel & drive over to Monterey. Don't forget the 17 mile drive. I've NEVER been to Big Sur-I think that's probably a must see. I don't think much will be closed over the holidays.

Have fun.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Mstravel, I do think we'll stay in Carmel, and I'm looking diligently for accomodations there. Our short time in that region will consist of historic area and aquarium in Monterey, scenic natural areas (Big Sur included), mission architecture, art museums, and walks on the beaches. In Carmel is there easy access from town to paths that hug the coast? What we'd like to find is a reasonably priced place that is walkable to evening restaurants and also to strolls along the beach.

In the Sonoma region, it's mostly wineries, an organized wine tour, small town architecture, mission architecture, good food, art galleries (obviously I'm a huge fan of museums and architecture). And, still looking for a place (now) in downtown Healdsburg, and close to restaurants for easy walks back to the hotel.
Stu- appreciate the restaurant tips.
Razzledazzle and mstravel- thanks for the welcome to your area. I hope we can fit most of what we want to do into our itinerary. We'll certainly have fun trying. Kathy
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:02 AM

>>>In Carmel is there easy access from town to paths that hug the coast? <<

Yep - you'll find it with no problem at all. It's a "routine" for the people who live there to stroll along the road that's right next to the coast.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -