Treebones Big Sur CA accessability questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Fodorites, who knows how far are the yurts from the parking lot?
Their website says: "The yurts and campsites are NOT car accessable!!"

Also, there are stairs to/from parking, is it like going from floor to floor in a building, or need to be really fit to brave those?

Trying to figure out if I should plan or forget it.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM

I remember the stairs being about equal to going up one residential floor or less. I also recall us driving up to the main lodge where someone directed us back down to the parking lot, so perhaps you could use this alternate (but longer) method to access the parking lot without having to use the stairs. My memory is very vague though so definitely call them to verify!

You could ask for a yurt close to main lodge which is also where the communal bathrooms are. Some yurts like 15 and 16 are a distance from the parking lot and main lodge. The paths are gravel. I actually slipped and fell one time on one of my bathroom trips but I'm clumsy
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Patty, very helpful!
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Hi Faina,

I'll try to find the pictures but we stayed in the yurt right by the pool so we parked practically yards away. The stairs to get to the yurts are tiny steps (3 steps, maybe 4). For the others, I can imagine luggage may be an issue to begin with (unloading from the car) but they had a golf cart that could help with that). Once you're in though, it's a nice leisurely stroll to the main lobby/dining area. I really highly recommend this place. It is unique, to say the least. The views are simply fantastic from the "porch" of your yurt. Open up the "moon roof" and listen to the seals and the ocean at night, watch the moon and stars from bed. The one thing you have to get used to though is the absence of a loo which makes nighttime loo runs inconvenient. Ask for a yurt close to the lobby so your bathroom breaks and showers aren't too far away. This place is definitley a must try at least once, though. I'll post back with pics when I find them.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

"The one thing you have to get used to though is the absence of a loo which makes nighttime loo runs inconvenient." - no bushes around?
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Just to clarify, I was referring to the stairs to the parking lot, but yes, there are also a few steps to the deck of each individual yurt.

Faina,
Some of the yurts are quite close together so wouldn't be suitable for bush loos but if you get one of the front ocean view ones, I imagine you could do that
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM

there are always disposable cups! hehe. thought about bushes but the manager's/owner's yurt was right next to ours...

Yeah, sorry, like I said, we stayed at the yurt by the pool so really close to the communal restroom/showers and we parked right in front.

BTW, they started doing dinners there when last we were there (apparently they didn't do dinner before that) and the food was quite yummy. They were talking about hiring a chef and making it a proper dinner place - any news on that? I would go back and stay there again.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

From the website:

"Casual dinners are served nightly in the lodge. Home cooked, healthy entrees ranging $17 - $24 pp."

And breakfasts are included.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM

yeah, ok. That's the same when we were there last. From the manager, I thought he was hiring a full time chef to make that area a "proper" restaurant. It's still good food though and on the night we decided to eat there, we took our food out to the deck overlooking the ocean and watched as the sun set. We brought a bottle of port and a bottle of red wine (from our napa end) to have with dinner although they also sold some wine at the gift shop. All you get is a plate but it is full of good food. Just so you don't expect it to be a proper restaurant. They don't have waiters. The gift shop guy brought you your plate along with silverware and the drinks available to you is water and ice tea you serve yourself. Having said all of that, it was one of the best dinners watching the sun set...
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM

oh, and dessert was good too. from a local bakery, I think.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM

maria_so - I know this thread is old, but just curious if you found your photos from Treebones? I just came across this place and I'm intrigued.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM

OMG... we didn't go!

But that's a nice reminder.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:17 AM

I'll chime in also as I was looking @ this property to spend part of my gf's 50th B-day there...any info is welcomed...
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:17 AM

& how far/long from SFO & SJC airports ?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Has anyone stayed in their birdnest treehouse?