Search

Timeshare Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 02:42 AM
L. Zeev

Timeshare Travel

Since I had several questions by some of the fodors members ( like Buddy Brooks by email and Marie/Brandon trough this forum , i think it will be nice to open a new topic about Timeshare Travel .
I own timeshare for 7 years and I almost an expert in the subject , and I will be happy to answer any question on traveling trough timeshare .
Here are some answers that I alreay gave to the members :

1. Timeshare is NOT an investment !!
if you think you will make money out of it , you will NOT !!
2. Timeshare is not an ideal or everyone , only if you travel at least once a year , it means that anyway you have to pay for the flightsor rented car , in that case you can save money on the accommodation.
3. Timeshare is a way of vcation that you can spend value time with your family and love ones.
4. Most of the timeshares are in Resorts that have everything inside and far from
Capital Cities.
5. If someone want to buy timeshars here are some guiding lines :

* never buy from places that are almost forcing you to buy and telling you that they have discoun " only today".

* Try to buy second hand from an owner-
you can get almost half price !

* You must know the company that you can make exchnges , RCI is good .

* Never buy if the timeshare is limited for
a several years , buy only if it's for good and for all generations to come .

* You must buy a Red week in the lowest cost and with the lowest maintenance

* You have to bare in mind that the costs
of one week timeshare Without taking to considerations the the first investment of the purchase and the lost of interest are :

Maintenance about $300
RCI membership about $130
RCI exchange fee about $160
RCI guest certificate about $ 50

Total - $640

If you can reduce the above total to $350
I will say go for it !
But if not , it is too expencive , try to take
deals for vacations !

* It is trough that some of the Gold Crown
Resorts charge for a week about $1800
and it looks like you can save some money , but again you can save only if anyway you travel at least once a year !

* getting a timeshare exchange in Capital City are very hard to get , because of the big demand and the low offers.
The reason for it is : Lets say someone
has a week in London that cost $2000
a week , he will keep it to himself or for close family and rarely will put it on the market !

I am willing to answer any question about the subject .

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 03:38 AM
John

I would add, be sure you like and can get to consistently your home resort. It is not good business to buy a timeshare just to exchange. To make exchanges, bank early and request early.
We have had great luck with Timesharing.
I also agree it doesn't make sense if you don't travel at least 1 week a year.
One advantage we have found is we go to places that we might not have otherwise, e.g. Curacao, Sedona, Hilton Head.

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 04:32 AM
JoAnn

This is a great subject--we own timeshares at 3 different locations-the first bought in 1983. For people who want some excellent information on timeshares-exchanging, buying, selling, general chit chat, "newbie" info, travel info, AND Excellent info on areas and resorts, I suggest they go to www.tug2.net. This is a bulletin board set up by timeshare owners for timeshare owners to discuss a variety of subjects on timesharing. Anyone can get into the BBS by typing any password and your email address. A $15 membership gets you into the resort reviews (done by those who visit the resorts NOT done by RCI or II) I suggest STRONGLY that anyone owning a Timeshare or interested in buying, check into this very informative website. I have been a member for 2 years and have gotten wonderful information from my fellow TUGgers and have met some of them while timesharing, or who live close to me. If you do want to join, I would appreciate you giving my name as a reference--I can get some free membership time, or a couple of dollars. We would love to see this BBS grow! www.tug2.net Jo Ann Grob [email protected]

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 06:39 AM
TSTerry

Way to go JoAnn. Keep plugging TUG. I agree with you wholeheartedly having been a member of TUG for a long time. Timesharing opens up a whole new aspect to vacationing but it isn't cheap. We own several t/s weeks and have been heavily involved in it though we are not in the industry.

You do not have to be a slave to the big exchange companies RCI and II. I haven't used them for years. I deal strictly with an independent company that has no annual fees and always gets me the best trades into the finest resorts.

Old Jan 17th, 1999, 12:28 AM
Amber

Great subject , please keep it on !

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Debi

Anyone with any information on the Grand Seas timeshare in Daytona Beach.
Anyone own or exchanged there? Thanks!

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 11:06 AM
JoAnn

Debi, Try WWW.TUG2.NET TUG = Timeshare Users Group) I wrote about it in a previous post under this title. It is a BBS devoted to timeshareing, and written by timeshare owners. Reviews are done by people like you and me, who have stayed in timeshares around the world. To get in-put in any password you want. If you decide to join ($15 the 1st yr., $10 from then on) you will be given a member password that will get you into the reviews.
I have not stayed at any timeshares in Daytona Beach.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 02:34 AM
L.Zeev

Hi,
Thanks for the info about
www.tug2.net

They have usefull info .
Thanks
Zeev

Old Feb 2nd, 1999, 07:53 AM
L.Zeev

Hi,

Anyone knows somthing about the