Search

Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Sheri

Where to go?

Hello,
I am looking for a destination, preferrably in the Midwest, but it does not have to be, where everything of interest is within walking distance, at least for the most part. I am looking to take my brother on a trip for his 14th birthday and I am too young (18) to rent a car and I don't want half of my trip expenses to be paying for taxis or transfers. We are used to walking a lot on vacation, but I'd keep it within two miles, please.
Thank you,
Sheri

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:22 AM
madge

Although I can't specifically help with your question, I would suggest that you repost with a more specific thread title along the lines of 'midwest travel suggestions w/out car', or something like that. You'll get much better responses that way, and you won't be beaten up for posting such a vague title.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:37 AM
travellyn

Consider Chicago. You can walk and use reasonably priced public transport. Even taxis there aren't too expensive.

Washington DC might be a really good choice, too, because most museums and sights are free, it's a nice city for walking, and public transport is good.

If you were both older, I'd suggest New Orleans, but it's probably worth waiting about 5 years for that one.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:47 AM
r-travels

I second the advice from "travellyn"

Both cities have transportation from airport, and excellent public transportation most areas you'd want to be. It might be more expensive to fly to DC, but considering all the free things to do once there, you might actually save on the trip.

Look at fares to BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) when you look at DC. It's often MUCH cheaper to fly into (especially if u use Southwest) and you can get to DC for $5 from there. Also DC has a number of lodging choices in suburbs that are still well served by the Metro system, but not as expensive as downtown hotels. I'd be glad to discuss more privately. (there is no X in my REAL eddress.)

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:49 AM
xxx

Few, if any hotels will rent to someone under 25. You may find some at 21 but most are 25.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:58 AM
travellyn

I've stayed at the youth hostel in Washington DC, and it was reasonably priced, fine for a hostel.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:12 PM
r-travels

I thought of suggesting the hostel too. I've not stayed at DC's, but have several times in NYC. Was clean, safe, and met some nice people. Also they often have coupons, etc. for special deals. And they can prepare some meals in the hostel, or use it's cafeteria.

Best to call any hotels ahead of time. The age limitation is generally a hotel policy, not a government regulation, usually just stated so they can turn away potential problem guests.

This thread's Subject: line stinks!