Montana-Dakotas road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looking for some thoughts on our itinerary.

My dad and I are thinking about a road trip through Montana and the Dakotas next summer, probably late June/early July. Length would be 12-14 days. We've never been to these places before. We tend to travel with the idea that if we really like a place, we can always go back - so don't mind doing a shorter stay in each area the first time.

Day 1: Fly from California to Missoula, MT
Day 2: Missoula
Day 3: Missoula --> Glacier NP
Day 4: Glacier
Day 5: Glacier --> Billings
Day 6: Billings (Dad wants to see Little Bighorn) --> Medora, ND
Day 7: Medora/Theodore Roosevelt NP --> Rapid City, SD (Days 7-13 we would be based in Rapid City)
Day 8: Badlands NP
Day 9: Badlands NP
Day 10: Mt. Rushmore & Jewel Cave
Day 11: Wind Cave NP
Day 12: Devils Tower
Day 13: Fly from Rapid City to CA

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 07:22 PM

Don't base yourselves in Rapid City for the 5 days of your Black Hills/Badlands visit. That will just mean you're doing a lot of useless driving back and forth.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of hiking, two days is more time than you will need for the Badlands. We actually did a lot of hiking in the park and were there for about 24 hours. I'd spend one night in/near the Badlands and then spend the other nights in a more convenient town in the Black Hills such as Keystone, Hill City or Custer.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 05:39 AM

The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier may or may not be open in late June. If it works for you, I'd reverse the trip and start with South Dakota then go to Glacier last.

I would also not base yourself in Rapid City, it is too much driving back and forth everyday.

If you cut out Theodore Roosevelt, you would have a much more straightforward trip - Devils Tower is on the way between Rapid City and Billings. If you want to leave Theodore Roosevelt and Devils Tower in the itinerary, I think I would plan your route to visit Devils Tower between Theo Roosevelt and Rapid City. That would probably avoid a little bit of driving compared to the itinerary you currently have.
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 04:23 PM

If you go to Medora, don't miss the musical. We were impressed by how well done it is and the quality of the performers. Plus, the setting is beautiful.

We made a stop at Little Bighorn and were glad we did. It was a sunny, windy day when we were there. My daughter swears it is haunted.

Devils Tower is really cool and a must see if you are in the area. It is truly amazing to see this huge rock formation literally mushroomed out of the ground.
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 06:08 PM

Instead of Rapid City, look into staying at Custer State Park. Seems to be more centrally located for the things you plan to see--Wind Cave, Jewell Cave, Mt Rushmore--plus it's really beautiful with 2 very scenic roadways, which they call Highways. They certainly aren't highways but delightful twisty roads with lots of scenic wow. Plus you're very likely to see LOTS of animals in Custer SP. We stayed in both The State Game Lodge and Sylvan Lake Lodge. We preferred the Game Lodge, but both were fine.

If you don't plan to hike, one day at Badlands is enough although by staying over one night, at dusk and dawn you get beautiful colors on the rocks. We stayed at Cedar Lodge Cabins which were very nice. Personally, I'd avoid Wall, SD at all costs until you enjoy very honky tonk crowded towns.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 05:32 AM

Totally agree with "WhereAreWe" above about reversing your trip so Glacier is the last part. You definitely want to be there after the Going to the Sun Road is open. It's one of the most scenic drives in the country!

I would recommend saying in the Many Glacier area (either Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge or Many Glacier Hotel. If you're planning on hiking, the east side of the park has some of the best trails in the park:

http://www.hikinginglacier.com/glaci...-ten-hikes.htm

Although some of the trails will not be completely open due to snow.