Search

Renting a Minivan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a Minivan?

Does anyone have any experience with renting a minivan from Budget, Avis, or Hertz? We want to rent one on our next driving vacation because our car is getting older and the kids are getting bigger. I really want them to have the separate seats in the middle row and use the back seats for luggage, golf clubs etc. Does anyone know if the minivans the companies referenced above have separate middle row seats or is it usually a bench seat.I called Hertz but the person sounded a little shaky with their answer.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:22 AM

I think that most of them seat seven so would that mean bench seat in the middle? The websites will have vehicle lists that tell you what make of van you will PROBABLY get (there is never even a guarantee that you will get a van...sometimes they run out.) Then check the parking lot next time you go to Costco or Target to check out comparable vans and see how the seating configuration is.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:34 AM

Bear in mind that frequently minivan rentals are charged for mileage. SUV rentals come with unlimited mileage.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM

Hi Bennnie, Heres what I usually do. In order to avoid the mileage restriction, reserve a full size car and then when you get to the counter, ask for a minivan upgrade. This might cost you $10 extra per day which is cheaper than the contracted rate. I now it is risky, but I have never been stuck without a minivan. Most companies don't have the quad seat format, usually the bench style.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Tracy2cents - have you had any experience with renting minivans. I was hoping to connect with someone who had first hand info. The rental companies websites are inconclusive but I agree that if they say they seat 7 that it is most likely a bench seat in the middle. Checking out Target's parking lot may not be reliable as I'm sure the rental companies have enough buying power to purchase their vehicles with whatever seating configuration works for them - so what the ordinary consumer buys may be different. But thanks for the suggestion.

Laurieb - I've found a great deal with unlimited mileage on Hotwire!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:17 AM

We rent minivans all the time on vacation - and we've done it from all of the car rental companies you've listed.

We've always had the middle bench seat - actually, I've never seen separate middle row seats in a minivan before.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM

As a minvan onwer, I can tell you taht the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna have separate middle seats.

However, we have rented mini-vans on numerous occasions (primarily Hertz Enterprise and Budget) and the middle seat has always been a bench seat on the rental models.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the feedback. I got a definate answer from Budget and its a bench seat. I was picturing renting something like the Honda Odessey that my brother owns. Oh well.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM

We rented a Dodge Caravan from Alamo last October and it had captain seats in the middle row and a bench seat in back.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

Have rented minivans a number of times, but not from the companies you list. We have rented from Dollar, in fact have a minivan reserved from them for LA in June. The minivans we have gotten from them have either been Dodge or Chrysler. But all have had a bench 2nd seat, but have never asked if they come with the 2 separate seats in the second row. It sure helps at home to have those seats to keep the 2 boys apart. I will have to ask Dollar about it. Even if it states 7 persons, the front & middle seats could be captains, & the 3rd would be bench for 3 people. Have never come across being charged for mileage from Dollar. Will have to verify that on this rental. Got a decent rate from them, under $380 for 11 days, before all the add ons. Also, with Dollar at the LA location, they don't charge us an extra amount per day for a second driver. Last summer, we rented a car from Hertz & they were going to charge for a second driver, except we are AAA members & they don't make that charge for AAA members. But we had to argue with Hertz over that, even though our confirmation email showed that there should would be no charge for a second driver.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM

FYI... I was checking Dollar's web site earlier and they have a special on mid size and minivans.... The intermediate size was cheaper than the Compact or Economy car ! Click on the 'specials' tab on their web site.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM

We rented from Hertz in Las Vegas last year and had a Mazda with captain's seats in the middle and a bench in the third row. If it's a bench in the middle row, it's only two seats, so it will still be a seven passenger. As far as mileage, I can't remember if we had 1,000 free miles or if it was unlimited. I know we drove about 700 miles and didn't pay any mileage charge.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:10 PM

We have rented minivans a few times (the last time during Thanksgiving '04 holiday) and we have never paid milage. We have had a middle bench seat more often than captain's seats, but we have had both.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM

Rented a mini-van from Avis last summer (through priceline -- got an awesome rate!) It was a GM product and had two captain's chairs in the middle and a bench seat in back. Very comfortable!

Also -- we were *not* charged mileage, even though we drove out-of-state.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM

We have rented a minivan twice a year for vacations for the last several years, usually from National but sometimes from Avis. We have always had a bench seat and have never paid mileage. We would never rent a vehicle without unlimited mileage since we usually drive thousands of miles on our trips.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM

We recently rented a Chevy Trailblazer SUV from Budget. It had the captain's chairs in the front, and bench seats in the second and third rows. The third row folded almost flat to expand the cargo room, which was very helpful for us!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the replies. The only reason for wanting a minivan is to give my girls more "personal" space. They reached that "Ma, she's touching me!" stage. I've been quoted a really great rate through Hotwire, just don't know which company it is until I book it. The rate is $150-200 less than other rates that I've been finding. I may just go for it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:55 AM

I understand the "he's touching me" arguement. With our personal minivan, each of our 2 kids has always had his/her own row. So I suggest you give up trying to get guaranteed bench or bucket seats in second row, and just revise your luggage and seating plans. Put adult's luggage in cargo place in the back, let each kid have their own row, and put their luggage in their own row with them - likely on the floor. Then each can have his own carry-on/back-pack with them on seat, have their own stuff, and they will then have to find something else to argue about.

Now, if me husband and I could each get our own row in a rental car, we would stop arguing about radio stations, temperature of car, directions to destination, arm rests, etc.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:03 AM

gail just posted with my same advice...we always rented (and owned) minivans. Gave each child their own row, and alternated each day. The 'grand' versions are particularly good for travel as you have more luggage area in the back. Most newer vans have space under the floor or under the seats as well.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gail and lcuy - I thought about this and wasn't sure if there would be enough storage space to fit all of our stuff - luggage for 1 week plus 1 medium and 3 smaller sets of golf clubs - and still be able to see out the rear window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -