Search

October Grand Canyon Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October Grand Canyon Trip

Hi All,

We will be staying in Flaggstaff for 5 days. While we have most of our days pretty well planned, we are undecided on HOW to see the Grand Canyon. We are debating between driving ourselves and then taking the park shuttle buses or taking one of the tours available. We have been looking at the American Dream Tour - get picked up in Flaggstaff with a small group (appears to be around 12-14 people)and have a tour guide for the day. (Lunch also provided)It sounds nice, but I just worry about being herded around like sheep, not being able to take our time when we want to. I would appreciate any input/advice on which is the best way to see the canyon. This is our first trip there.

thanks,
goldy
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Drive yourself. I would suggest driving up 89 and go in the East entrance. The first stop will be at Desert View which I personally think is the most awesome first view you could get. From there, drive the road toward Grand Canyon Village, stopping at some of the other viewpoints.

Once in the Village, park and take the free shuttle bus along the west road. You can gat out at some or all of the view points and take as much or as little time as you like. The busses run about every 10 - 20 minutes, so you don't have to wait long for a bus to take you to the next point. And the drivers are very knowledgeable and informative.

Why let yourself be herded around? Doing it yourself, you could also stay and watch the sunset and get back to Flag a bit later.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Drive yourself and take the shuttle once you're there, and drive to the east rim overlooks with the car ... much better than being stuck on a tour bus.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I agree with the others that you should drive to the Grand Canyon and also that Desert View provides a great panorama. I also agree that you should park in the village and take the shuttle along the western rim to Hermit's Rest. Among the places you can get lunch is the Bright Angel Lodge coffeeshop. The shuttle stops in front.

You don't mention where you are from so I will take the liberty of saying that as a New Englander, I like to drive Rte 180 to the canyon. The road that approaches from the east through Cameron almost drove me crazy because it is a two-lane road with two-way traffic and it is so straight that I kept thinking that I was going to run right off the road, but that's because I am accustomed to winding roads. If you are used to driving for ages and ages on an entirely straight road, then the road to the canyon via Cameron will be fine for you.

Once on Rte. 180, between Flagstaff and the canyon, darkness fell and the stars were the brightest I have ever seen in my life. They seemed to be pulsating in the sky. I stopped the car and we all got out and marvelled at the sight.

In Flagstaff be sure to tour the observatory. It's well worth the visit.

When you get to the canyon, look for the trails the mules and hikers use to travel to the Colorado River. They are difficult to see at first, but when you do see them in the distance, it helps to give the canyon perspective from the vantage point of the overlook.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the advice and suggestions on what to do and see. We have decided to drive ourselves and skip the guided tour. To Canyonjane - we are New Englanders also!

I'd also be interested to hear of other places in the area which are "must sees"....how about restaurants - any stand-outs?

thanks,
goldy
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Since you are driving yourselves, you might like to take a break and stop at Montezuma's Castle National Monument on I-17 just north of Camp Verde. You might also take the detour to Sedona for a scenic drive.

I'd drive in via Tusayan but exit the Grand Canyon at Desert View to see the Painted Desert as you leave the park. On Hwy 89 take Hwy 395 loop road to see Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater.

Utahtea