Road Trip - Mostly California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the UK and am planning a 24 day road trip from LA, anti-clockwise through Flagstaff, Grand Canyon (south), Page, Zion, LV, Fresno , Yosemite, SF, back to LA via Highway 1. The full picture looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...A.kIGsJsH9brr4

Would like to include the Tioga Pass into Yosemite but as the trip needs to be in the Spring of 2016 (April-May) I understand that this will not be possible

Accommodation: Mainly budget hotels but may treat ourselves
to a night on the Queen Mary at Long Beach before flying home

Full distance: 2120 miles (not allowing for any detours that may catch my eye)
Two night stopovers in GC, Yosemite, SF and Springdale (Zion).

Any advice as to how realistic this is and also suggestions to vary the route would be very welcome.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the map. I haven't seen that before in the ten years I've been a member of this forum.

Since you warn that you are not going to "allow any detours that catch" your eye, I am reluctant to tell you that you have overlooked two important attractions that could very easily be included in your itinerary: Sedona (which is beautiful) and Bryce Canyon NP (which is an amazing place to hike).

HTtY
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your prompt repsonse, HTtY.

Just had a look at some Google pics of Sedona and it looks absolutely spectacular. Id suppose we could do a there an back trip in the morning we are in Flagstaff but this would cut down our Grand Canyon time (two nights scheduled for GC village).

We've already made some agonisingly tough decisions, Leaving out Monument Valley for instance. Sedona vs GC....What would you do?
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Tioga Pass MIGHT be possible in May next year with the drought that California has been having. Check with the visitor center at Death Valley (They should know the status).
Don't stay in Fresno. Go at least as far as Oakhurst if you can't get a nights lodging inside Yosemite.
Leaving Yosemite, you should check on the HI "BUG" hostel near Midpines.
Heading down the coast from San Francisco, consider a night at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse HI Hostel which is about 50 miles south of SF.
You will find a cheaper hotel in Carpenteria than in Santa Barbara
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom, I will take your advice as regards Fresno/Oakhurst. Obviously if Tioga is open I won't be going to either of them but I think I have to make my plans on the assumption that it will be closed but have the flexibility to modify them if I get lucky and it is open.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pray for rain in February and March, otherwise your California drive will be dry and brown.

Budget lodging in April should not be a problem but avoid Fri & Sat nights in Las Vegas , or any big "convention" week. Also you might have to work around any convention period in San Francisco. The Queen Mary often has budget rates available so that should not be a problem...but Long Beach may not be the greatest spot for a pre-LAX stay depending on what time of day your flight leaves.

Looks like a 24 day car hire will run you about 400pounds at that time of year.

Why Flagstaff? Why Fresno?
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Clark, I will bear in mind your advice about conventions etc in LV & SF. Can't do much about the drought but I will cross my fingers!

I understood Flagstaff was worth a visit but
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Clark, I will bear in mind your advice about conventions etc in LV & SF. Can't do much about the drought but I will cross my fingers!

I understood Flagstaff was worth a visit but I have already ditched Fresno in favour of Oakhurst following advice on this forum earlier.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:36 AM

If I had to choose between Sedona and Monument Valley, then Monument Valley would win. That would just be my choice and your's might differ than mine.

Utahtea
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monument Valley is a unique place. I would not miss it.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't have to stop in EITHER Fresno or Oakhurst (I know you've dropped Fresno from your plan)

If Tioga Pass is closed and you have to go around the south end, Seq/KC is only 3.5 hours from Yosemite Valley -- just drive it straight through. No need to stop overnight in between.

(If Tioga is open you'll miss out on Seq/KC but worth it IMO to see the Yosemite high country)
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Sounds like a nice trip, glad to see you are not rushing the Highway 1 drive. Carpinteria may have cheaper motels and hotels but it has a very unique charm and lovely beaches and restaurants so I would stay there instead. If you have time and are so inclined there are some lovely wineries in the nearby Santa Ynez Valley (you can always take a tour if driving after tasting makes you nervous).
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Monument valley over Sedona ANY DAY!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 05:02 PM

BTW... I would suggests watching the I-Max film of the Grand Canyon. Its very good and gives you a great over view of the entire canyon. When we were there, the Canyon was completely socked in with Fog and had we not seen the film, our foreign guests would not have known what the canyon was all about.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woo hoo, rare treat to hear from the famous Utahtea! Congrats David on getting her to peek her head into the forum.

Carpinteria will be very sleepy in April, hope you can swing Santa Barbara, try maybe Castillo Inn. Are you travel with children?
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the advice. No kids, we have recently retired and are making a determined attempt to blow the kids inheritance .