Search

Road trip ideas departing from Boise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip ideas departing from Boise

Hello
A friend and I will be in Boise, ID for an event in early July. She is from Canada and I am from the Midwest U.S. We would like to take a 7 day road trip the week following our event, that circles back to Boise. Flights are already confirmed.

We originally thought of visiting Yellowstone (as noted in an earlier post) ..but we are now finding lodging might be complicated or even unavailable. We would prefer to be seeing & doing, rather than waiting in long lines in our car. We'd still consider this if you have tips, other than book earlier next time. ha ha

This region of the U.S. is unexplored territory for both of us and we know there is so much beauty, nature and fun to be had in almost any direction. We're just not sure which way to go to maximize our time and have a balance of outdoor activity, quiet relaxation, and fun exploring interesting towns.

We both like to hike, play on the water, take in beautiful nature & wildlife, soak in a hot spring (if available), relax in a spa, enjoy some art, music or other unique cultural sites in towns a long the way... We also know all of this might not be available in one trip, we're just including it so you get a sense of what we like to do.

We greatly appreciate your insights!!
D & P
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Ooooh, you have tons of options!

Some issues to get out of the way first:

What are your interests? I mean specifically- what kind of scenery do you like, do you like roughing it or are you foodies, do you like theater- musicals/opera. Do you bike, hike, swim, climb?

What is your max driving distance (daily?)

Would you consider flying out of another airport? Circling back will mean less area covered and it would be a lot easier to do it open jaw.

What is your nightly budget?

The chief problem that you will be facing is the 4th of July holiday. I'm sure you already know that. But I'm currently trying to plan a trip in colorado around this time, and I've found that even budget hotels have minimum day reservations of 3-4 nights and they're also quite expensive. To give you some idea- The comfort inn in Ouray, Co, tried to sell me a room for 199 a night and they required a 4 night minimum. The comfort inn, seriously? So the point of this is- you need to nail down those dates fast, and if you can camp, you should DEFINITELY consider it.

I know what you mean about tips...I love camping in the west in July, but I always start planning too late. I started in march last time (way too late), and then January this time...only to be told by one of my campgrounds that last July would have been an ideal time to book for THIS July lol.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Initial thoughts- if late enough, Logan for Utah opera festival and then one of the Utah national parks.

Northern Idaho for the Hiawatha bike trail, priest lake, maybe a few nights in Missoula.

Oregon coast- just reachable in a days drive. (But camping may be difficult and lodging expensive) there's a terrified spa near Newport, or.

Camping at lake of the woods in southern OR (they have fireworks, and probably still availability, and then hiking somewhere in OR.) I don't remember when Ashland Shakespeare festival starts but don't miss that if you like theater.

Flying from Boise to somewhere like Santa Fe or somewhere in CA or Denver. This might be your best option if you are foodies or shopaholics. Also lots of hot springs in Colorado. Yosemite is unlikely to be cheaper/less crowded than Yellowstone, but there is a terrific hostel about an hour from the valley entrance, so Yosemite/SF combo would be a tempting option if it were me (ran into the same problem you did with Yellowstone. Just no cheap way to do it without camping).
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Flights are already booked...so not sure we could change those now, without a penalty charge. We did consider flying out of another city...but didn't know which one and didn't want to lose the good fares we found.

We will be in Boise for our event from 7/6 - 7/8 and then start or road trip 7/9 and get back to Boise by evening of 7/15, as we fly home 7/16.

We don't have a max driving distance. We are happy to bust a long day of driving to get to our destination if that's best...or meander and stop a lot along the way.

We don't want the trip to feel so rushed and jam packed that we end up tired and frazzled trying to "do it all", so we'd likely schedule a balance of busy days/times with some slower paced, relaxing time.

We haven't set a specific nightly budget. Should likely do that ~ but for now open to exploring our options.

Our flexibility is perhaps part of the problem. Since our planning has started "too late" to be "ideal" we're open to creating the trip around whatever locations are most available and accessible at this time.

You asked for more specifics of what we like to do:

* We enjoy hiking, nature, wildlife etc.. thus our interest in National Parks or other natural areas. We both enjoy photography, so likely will bring cameras.

* We enjoy anything on or near the water - kayaking, rafting, floating, sitting on the dock or along the shore.

* We're not super foodies, but we enjoy eating in different places. We don't need super fancy; we like to experience the locale fare, and we can appreciate a good dive.

* If there were a nice bike trail, we could possible rent bikes, but we'd not be mountain biking or anything of that sort.

* We appreciate the creative arts and like to play creatively as well. While this is most often visual arts, we'd also enjoy stumbling upon some local musicians in a coffee shop, festival or other cool venue. We'd not want to spend a full day at some outdoor music festival or attend anything more formal such as an opera.

* If there were hot springs or a lovely spa along the way, we might consider some time in relaxation and pampering; and would also enjoy relaxing on a deck or porch or shoreline taking in the scenery.

* It's always fun to explore new towns that have interesting shops or galleries or antiques, restaurants, etc.

Hope that helps!!

We're so grateful for everyone's guidance and suggestions!
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:57 AM

The Sawtooths have gorgeous mountain scenery and is right there. I don't know about accommodation availability in July but we've stayed at Redfish Lake and also Ketchum (our trips were in May and September). Stanley is another possibility.

Yellowstone is still possible as people book far in advance and then cancel. You could book something in a gateway town for now and keep checking for cancellations inside the park.

You could also head up to Glacier NP (great hiking) but may run into similar availability issues there.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 01:37 PM

You might want to head west and do the Cascade Loop in Washington. The entire thing is stunningly beautiful! Plus a lot of wonderful hiking opportunities along the way. Maybe take a day or two and visit Stehekin. Here is the website to check it out.

www.cascadeloop.com
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 01:38 PM

I would stick to the Oregon coast, Utah National Parks, the sawtooth, or Northern Idaho, then. I don't think I'd drive all the way to Glacier. Plenty of gorgeous scenery closer than that.

Hiawatha is a former railroad line that is really scenic- it's down hill the whole way, so you can rent bikes at the top, bike easily down, and then take the shuttle back to the top. It is gravel, not paved, but a pretty easy, and a gorgeous mountain scenery ride. I'm not a mountain biker either.

Towns that I've been to that fit your criteria: Missoula, Sandpoint, Park city- Logan is a possibility (but I don't think there was a bar scene if that matters- Mormon town). Wallace, near Missoula, is tiny but fun to explore. Boise downtown is fun as well, surprisingly. Portland Oregon is a lot of fun. Ashland is fun too. I know you said you don't do formal, but the theater scene in both Ashland and Logan aren't formal, really. Ashland has a fun downtown, and an outdoor theater. Festival in Logan does half "serious" opera and half fun stuff- like Gilbert and Sullivan, Music Man, etc. Bend Oregon as well-rafting, hiking, good shopping and beer and food.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Go to Oregon, as I suggested previously. People go there from all over the world to see the Oregon Coast and the Columbia River Gorge.

Every place people want to be in July is expensive to be and booked early.

HTtY
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Bend is great too and not as far of a drive as the coast. There are a lot of hiking and day trip opportunities that makes Bend a good base.

But really, you don't need to leave Idaho. I think it's one of the most underrated states for scenic beauty.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 08:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I would try to see as much of Yellowstone as possible even if I had to spend the nights in West Yellowstone or Gardiner.
If you did decide on Bend (or Sunriver), just spend 1 night and then head for Crater Lake NP. If you can't get a room at the Crater Lake Lodge, try a cabin or room at the Diamond Lake Resort which is not too far away.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 02:44 AM

Yellowstone is fantastic enough that I would want to spend some time there. As has been mentioned, people make reservations a year in advance and then cancel as time gets close and they find they can't make it.

At the very least, do drive the loop around the park and stop and hike where you can.

I would make reservations in Gardiner or West Yellowstone or maybe even Cody and keep calling back for cancellations in the park.

This is a very beautiful part of the country, so you can't miss no matter what you decide.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 06:36 AM

We've spent the majority of our two Yellowstone trips based in Gardiner. It's a good location for the northern road to Cooke City (another possible gateway town) which is excellent for wildlife viewing.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM

For the past six summers I have gone to Idaho in early August and LOVE it. I am with Patty--you really don't need to leave Idaho at all--Stanley is about three hours from Boise and has whitewater rafting and is just a charming SMALL mountain town with gorgeous views of the Sawtooths. They have had a LOT of snow this winter so the rafting should be awesome.

Redfish Lake is just to the south. About an hour south from there is Ketchum/Sun Valley.

Further north is Sandpoint and Cour d'Alene--I've not been, but everyone says it's beautiful.

It's a beautiful state and the Boise airport is one of my favorites to fly into and out of.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 01:46 PM

If you're looking for hot springs, Idaho is the hot springs capital of the West and Stanley has a ton of 'em ->: http://stanleycc.org/do/hot-springs/ This area is on my to-do list this summer!
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Wow!! Thanks everyone for all of these great ideas! You've given us so many ideas to consider. Having never been to this part of the country, we so appreciate the tips and suggestions you're sharing! <3
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With a week I'd be tempted just to head west down the Columbia River all the way to the mouth at Cape Disappointment (lighthouses, waves on rocks, cool hikes and interesting Lewis and Clark history). Then work your way back east up the river, stopping in Portland for craft beer and lots of cool foodie options, all the vista points and waterfalls along the western Gorge, Hood River (more beer) plus windsurfing, the Hood River Valley "fruit loop," Lost Lake, alpine walks and Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, then the Maryhill Museum and Stonehenge in the eastern Gorge, before returning to Boise. Incredible variety, very easy to fill a week with nonstop joy.
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo - I like how this trip includes some OR coastal time, along with inland adventures and fun in Portland. What would you suggest as the pace or timing for the various stops you've outlined?

Everyone - You've offered lots of great suggestions staying within ID and/or traveling closer around its perimeter. It may be time for us to go to the library, gets some books and determine preferences for this particular summer. We will also research gateway towns to Yellowstone, to see if that's still a contender.

You all are the best!
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't give up on Yellowstone; there's great lodging just at the park borders (my preference over staying in the park).
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For timing, I'd shoot straight down to the coast, I-84 to Portland, then north on I-5 to Longview and WA 4 out to Ilwaco and Cape Disappointment. It's doable in one long day, but if you want to take two days, spend the first night in Portland, then visit Johnston Ridge on Mt. St. Helens before heading out to the coast.

Two nights on the coast, then back to Portland for two nights in town, then east to Hood River for two nights before returning to Boise. (If you took two days to get to the coast, eliminate a Portland day.)

The reason for the long stay in Hood River is because it's wonderfully situated for day trips: Hood River Valley fruit loop, Mount Hood (Timberline Lodge) perhaps via Lost Lake (great views of Mt. Hood), a drive up to White Salmon and a look Mount Adams, a day out to Maryhill (museum, winery, Stonehenge) and so on.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/uFRBdvFEDe32
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the timing ideas Gardyloo!

Sylvia3 - you noted it's your preference to stay outside of the park? Why is that your preference?

Others too have commented on enjoying a gateway stay over a stay inside the park for better restaurants etc. How long in the summer would you anticipate we would then need to wait to get into the park?

With some quick looks online, the Sawtooth Mts and all the activities in Stanley also look interesting and easily accessible from our Boise jumping off point.

I think we'll look at Yellowstone options in the gateway towns (with a possible cancellation scoop in the park) and also consider heading toward the Oregon coast, as well as options if we head north in Idaho. This weekend I plan on going to the library to check out some books and see which direction starts to resonate the most!

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -