Car Rental UK Drivers License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Looking at renting a car long term next year and road tripping through California.
I've just passed my UK driving test. I will have held it for 10 months at the desired time of travel.
Do Rental companies require you to have held your license for a minimum time? (ie 1-2 years?)

Thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM
J62

I've never heard of a rental car company requiring a minimum license time. My license (NY state) shows the date my license was issued - it is 1mo ago when I moved to a new address, not 30+ years ago when I first got my license, so the rental car co will have no idea when I first got my license.

They may have a minimum age (25), or add a surcharge for younger drivers (21-24).
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Yes, if you read the requirements and fine print, you will see that most car-rental companies require you to have had a license for a year; those that allow recently licensed renters charge considerably more for the rental.

And you pay considerably more if you are under 25 in any case.

Most travelers from Europe do better by booking the rental through a wholesaler there. The rental quote will generally include all the required insurance (you generally have to buy a liability plan to drive a rental car in California ... the only state in the US that doesn't require car-rental companies to carry their own minimal insurance plans).

I'd suggest you do your homework now and make sure you can do this. I'd hate for you to land and be denied the car at the desk.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 06:56 AM

How old are you? If you're < 25, you will pay a lot more to rent than if you are 25+. Be aware of that.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you consider "long term"? Most of the rental companies do not want to rent a car for more than 30 days at a time even to US citizens.
Will you be able to adapt to driving on the right side in a car that has the steering wheel on the left?
The insurance Is an important question. Many if not most foreign visitors have the car rental including insurance paid for before they leave home.
There is train service (Amtrak) between many cities in California. You could rent a car only for the times that you wanted to go outside the city where you are staying.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 07:26 AM
J62

I looked at both Hertz and Avis websites. Neither has any mention of minimum time a license must be valid. Both only state "valid license".

I agree with Tom re SF - you don't want or need a car while in the city of SF, but for most of the rest of CA having a car is desired. Perhaps not 100% necessary, but the flexibility of having a car lets you go when and where you want.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Most of the rental companies do not want to rent a car for more than 30 days at a time even to US citizens"

This is not true
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:41 AM
J62

"Most of the rental companies do not want to rent a car for more than 30 days at a time even to US citizens"

Definitely not true. Do a search of any rental car co you wish and you'll find most if not all offer long term rentals.

Also, I've never heard of any rental car co checking my passport / citizenship. Why do they care what passport you carry?
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 09:55 AM

"Most of the rental companies do not want to rent a car for more than 30 days at a time even to US citizens". Definitely not true. Do a search of any rental car co you wish and you'll find most if not all offer long term rentals.

In Florida you cannot rent on a single contract for more than 30 days. You can rent for more than 30 days by signing a series of 30 days contracts.

Also, I've never heard of any rental car co checking my passport / citizenship. Why do they care what passport you carry?

UK drivers licenses do not have photographs. Since photo ID is required for rentals, the passport is a possible substitute.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM
J62

In that case, the passport is used for identity purposes, not prove citizenship. My comment about citizenship stands.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 11:23 AM

Fuertejuz:

I suggest that you start here http://www.novacarhire.com and e-mail your questions to Car Hire Queries or telephone on 353 64 77 642 77

Car hire/rental companies will want to know the country in which you reside not your citizenship status.

Sandy
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM

UK driving licences do have photos.
You can rent a car for more than 30 days in most states.
Generally you need to have a licence for at least a year.
Rent the car through a UK website. It will generally be cheaper than through a US site, and gives you free drop off in some cases, and no extra airport fees.
Read the small print before you book to be sure you are able to rent with your licence being so new.
If on arrival they offer you an upgrade for a small fee, refuse it. It usually means they don't have the class you booked and are trying to get you to pay for the upgrade they have to give you.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"In Florida you cannot rent...."

I don't think that's true anymore. If it is, it's strange that Avis and Hertz do not make any mention of it when I try to book a car for 42 days.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:05 PM

On the Hertz website, under Driver's License - general policy it states that the license must be held for at least a year and even 2 years for certain car groups.

I generally use Autoeurope as it is easier and less expensive than booking direct. The prices are all inclusive usually and prepaid.

SandyBrit - sometimes citizenship status is important for certain rentals.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
J62

Can you post the URL odin?

I am looking at this Hertz website and don't see anything about 1 year.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/i...tionsView.jsp#
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:51 PM

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/cus...%27s%20licence

Not sure if that takes you to the exact paragraph, it is under Driver's Licence General Policy on the UK site. Maybe this rule does not apply for US drivers licenses renting domestically?
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
J62

Interesting - I poked around and changed the rental location. For a US airport it shows "need a valid license." When i put in LHR as the pick up, I get "1 year."

So the info on the Hertz website seems to be rental location dependent, as it should.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Odin:

"Sometimes citizenship is important for certain rentals" - I am not an American citizen and have never been ask for proof of my citizenship when renting a car in USA. If this has happened to you perhaps you can expand on this.

Sandy
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 04:54 PM

OP, not sure what you consider long term but check to see how long you can drive in California on a foreign license. In my state, the limit is 60 days.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 03:35 AM

Sandy: I'm not an American citizen either. I am not referring to rentals in the US when I state that some rentals require proof of citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -