Search

Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 04:17 AM
cat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Shelter Cove, CA?

Hi all. Planing a trip to San Fran, Wine Country and Redwoods. This a trip I started planning in 2009 and had to postpone. I'm having a hard time choosing a place to stay in the redwoods area north of Mendocino. Most places look a little seedy and the best looking place, Benbow Inn, is expensive, but still looks a little seedy and run down. Then I read about the tiny community of Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast about 25 miles due west of Garberville. As a community of only 600, there are limited lodging opportunities, but the Shelter Cove Inn looks new and clean and has spectacular views, so I think that will be the choice. My question has to do with the drive there and what to do while there. It's relatively remote and requires a 1 - 1 1/2 hr. drive along a winding, twisting, steep road. I've read various tales about this drive and thought maybe someone could elaborate for me. Is it truly death defying, or just slow and inconvenient. I can handle the latter. Also, is the community itself worth the visit? We're thinking about two nights and it sounds like you are pretty isolated once you get there. We will also need to buy groceries before heading out there as I understand eateries are few. It looks simply stunning as far as natural beauty goes. Just want to make sure it's worth the time and significant detour off the beaten track. Can't find much info elsewhere. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Some people call driving on twisty roads - death defying - but I find them to be very scenic. So much depends on your comfort level.

And while I haven't spent any time in Shelter Cove - (it looks beautiful) we (four young couples) spent a fun weekend years ago in Gualala (furthe south) - and it's the getting away and enjoying being in a small quiet place by the ocean that is the reason for going.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just checked Mapquest. It is 24 miles from Garberville and the time is listed at 50 minutes = 29 mph.
Sounds like a road that you should not speed on.
It is nearly 5 hours from Union Square in SF.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:03 AM
cat
Original Poster

Tomsd, it's definitely the getting away from it all aspect that is very appealing to me. I too like scenic roads, but the brief accounts I have read say that this particular route is not just winding and twisting, but has very steep grades as well. Apparently you descend from the top of the King Mountain Range to the foot of the sea. One account I read spoke of "smoking brakes" on the way down. I'm all for an adventure, but dont want to break down or drive on a cliff! Would love to hear from someone who has actually driven it. There dont seem to be many who have.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM

The road is not too bad. It is steep for the last few miles. Just keep in low gear to save the brakes. It's no worse than driving down Mt. Tamalpais or Diablo. There's quite a bit of traffic on this road since a lot of people live in the woods around Whitethorn. Many locals drive fast, so pull over to let them pass.

I've been to Shelter Cove several times but have never stayed overnight there. It is remote and very quiet. There's a nice black sand beach and the entrance to the Lost Coast Trail. There's also an interesting golf course on the airport runway, so bring your clubs.

The last time I was up there two years ago, we camped at Sinkyone State Park which is a little south of town but right on the coast. It's not really accessible in a passenger vehicle but well worth the effort to visit if you are driving a pickup or SUV.

When we were up there the last time, it was interesting to listen to the local fm station. Instead of traffic reports, they gave hourly updates on the location of DEA vehicles.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Someday I'll go find the geocache hidden next to Mario's right foot. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-2e92d20ae724
Downshift and don't use the brakes excessively and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Sad to say Shelter Cove was a planned-type community that never panned out.It's ugly and depressing. If you want R+R think about renting at one of the Sea Ranch properties.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Have you looked at the Miranda Gardens Resort? It is about 15 miles north of Garberville on The Avenue of The Giants very near Humboldt State Redwoods Park. It is a cute little cabin resort that has been maintained nicely and is in great location for touring the area. There is nothing "seedy" about it.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
cat
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Makes it easier to decide whether to make the trip there or just spend the extra days at a vacation rental outside of Mendocino and use that as our base for exploring the redwoods. I think I'm leaning toward the Mendo vacation rental given mztery's comment. I have read similar opinions. Thanks again to everyone for the input.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM
cat
Original Poster

Wekewoody, will also look into Miranda Gardens. I haven't heard of it before. Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Different strokes for different folks. The area looks like it has great natural beauty - and camping on/by the beach does appeal to moi.

However - if you have some doubts - as it sounds - and may prefer to kick back closer to Napa somewhere - there are numerous other pretty sections of the Cal Coast heading north from Stinson Beach, etc.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Different strokes for different folks. The area looks like it has great natural beauty - and camping on/by the beach does appeal to moi."

Since you've not been there - probably best not to recommend the place

I totally agree w/ mztery. Shelter Cove in OK but not really anything to write home about. There are much better places to get away from it all w/o schlepping out to Shelter Cove.

(BTW - I don't find the Benbow at all seedy or run down - but it isn't remote so probably not what you are looking for.)
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:11 AM
cat
Original Poster

Janisj, Benbow was originally my first choice, but I have read varying reviews and for the price, I just wasn't sure. Have you stayed there recently? My main concern is just having somewhere comfortable and clean to spend a night or two while exploring Avenue of the Giants etc.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/larg...df81ba971b.jpg
Caption of the photo: Two of the places you can stay in Shelter Cove. Draw your own conclusions.
The place that we have stayed near the Redwoods is the Ravenwood in 'downtown' Klamath.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
cat
Original Poster

We went with the Benbow Inn. I decided that staying in Shelter Cove may have made exploring the redwoods too onerous with the drive back and forth. Thinking about driving the Lost Coast scenic loop on Mattole Road for an adventure instead. Thanks again to everyone for their input.