Where to stay in New York City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering going to New York City for a few nights in October - looking at leaving October 17. We have never been to New York so we are overwhelmed with the choices. We plan to go to the theatre, visit Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Statue of Liberty. We are thinking we should stay in the Midtown area. Does that seem right? Can we find nice hotels in that area for under $200? We found a few hotels that looked interesting. Does anyone have comments about these or other suggestions: Washington Jefferson, Hotel 41, The Time, Hemsley Winsor. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:04 PM

Our favorite is Doubletree Suites at 47th St and 7th Ave. We've gotten it for less than $200.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM
glo

I like the Gorham Hotel near Central Park South. We are going there this week, and we were able to get a room for $139 on their website. Last time we stayed there ,2 years ago, we were happy with it.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:31 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Belvedere last year when we went to NYC overnight for dinner and a Broadway show. The hotel was redone recently and everything looked new. The room was about $150 for the night and was large (a plus). It was loacted on W 48th, between 8th and 9th Ave.

Wishing you two a wonderful time!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:22 PM

A nice smaller hotel on Madison Ave is the Roger Williams. IT was redone a few years ago and is really a beautiful hotel and close to everything.

They also offer some great rates. A client of mine stayed there with his wife not long ago and they loved the hotel.

Have a good time while you are here.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Is there anything going on in New York that weekend. The rates I have seen for these hotels are quite a bit higher. For example, the Gorham and Doubletree are both over $200.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM

Not sure if you are interested .. but we stayed at the Millenium Hilton in Tribecca .. It is brand new and rooms are very nice .. and the rates are terrific .. there is a very nice restaurant as well .. We did not mind the location as it is within walked distance to my son's place and we found we do a lot of walking in NYC anyway .. it is a neat area .. subway .. cabs are all readily available .. and again .. a very nice hotel at great rates .. Enjoy !
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:40 PM

another vote for the Gorham. We just stayed there about 3 weeks ago. Will stay there again! Try them either on hotres.com or quickbook.com can't remember which one has them...
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

I was in NY for the first time late last year and you're in for a treat!
What an exciting city!

Check out the Warwick. Phone: 212/247-2700 or 800/223-4099 It's perfectly located, historic and has big rooms. The Beatles stayed there when they came over the first time back in the 60's.

I did hours of research on the right hotel and you won't be disappointed in the Warwick. It was $220. a night but keep calling back, talk to different employees at the hotel and most of the time you can get a reduced/different price.

one highlight of my trip....take the subway over to Brooklyn and walk back across the Brooklyn bridge. The views of Manhattan are awesome!

We also took 3 hour eating tour of Greenwich village. Loved this too, great little restaurants and local places...a little bit to eat at each one, (pizza, cannelonis, chocolate, pita, etc. etc.) with lots of history of the village...i'ts really fascinating.

have fun!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:44 AM

Bid on Priceline!! Son just went this week-end and stayed at the Sheraton for about $135/night tax incl. You can stay at great 4* hotels for the $100 range.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:46 AM

My husband and I have been to NY many times and always stay at the New York Helmsley at 42nd and 3rd. It's in a very good central location, big rooms, always reliable and pretty reasonable. Check out the Helmsley website www.helmsleyhotels.com
We're heading there ourselves next week! Have fun.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:09 AM

Hotel prices can vary dramatically depending on when you're planning to visit. And unfortunately, mid-October is a lovely time to be in NYC and so prices are likely to be higher. I'd suggest you browse on the Trip Advisor website --- if individual hotel websites aren't offering any special deals, then www.tripadvisor.com and be a good source for finding better rates. Likewise for www.hotels.com. Lastly, register on Playbill --- www.playbill.com does offer deals for NYC hotels; additionally you can benefit from buying discount tickets for Broadway shows and not have to bother with standing in line @ the half-price ticket booth in Times Sq.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:52 PM

Cerlaurie-
We are going at the end of September and are staying at the Warwick. I've never stayed there before but I have read good things about the hotel and location- Midtown, a couple of blocks west of 5th Avenue, and a few blocks south of Central Park. We got a rate of $169 per night using www.quikbook.com

Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM

If you'd like to stay in midtown, you might try hotwire - www.hotwire.com There, you can search hotels and specify what area of NYC you'd like (for your first time, you might want midtown or Times Square areas). Only drawback is that you don't know what hotel you get until you have committed and paid. I have done hotwire twice, and got a Hilton hotel both times, for about $125/night. Very pleased! Another option is to check the Hilton website. You can get the Millenium (right by the World Trade Center site) for quite a reasonable price (i.e. about $150 on a weekend night). Can take the subway from there to just about anywhere you'd like to go. We have always liked the hotel and the location. Now, if you had more money to spend and you knew your way around a little...I LOVED the Soho Grand! GREAT location for shopping and people-watching. But with this being your first trip, I might try the hotwire option. Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will check these out. I was wondering if October was a busy time. Maybe I will try early November, too, since we are flexible. If anyone else have ideas, that would be great. We are thinking maybe priceline is the way to go but we have never used it before.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:48 PM

also try travelocity...we stayed at the intercontinental at central park last year for 179$. it was a very nice room--no view--but we weren't sitting around to look anyway!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:21 PM

Hey jaspertl or anyone who may know, can you tell me more about the Greenwich eating tour? That sounds like great fun! Is there a web site you used, or phone number to make reservations? Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

I found a weekend special rate at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers for $169 - prepaid, nonrefundable. Has anyone stayed here lately? What was it like? service, rooms, location, etc? Most other hotels that appear to be in the same category are over $200 for that weekend. Thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:18 PM
blh

I found a website for the Greenwich walking tour - http://foodsofny.com/1.html - sounds like a great tour - any more comments from those who have taken the tour? Is it worth the time and $$ ????
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:28 PM

Cerlaurie,

I stayed in the Sheraton Hotel & Towers a couple weeks ago (Aug-8th thru Aug-12th).

First the good: it's in an excellent location; on 7th Avenue @ 52nd, the NYC convention & tourist bureau across the street, a subway line steps from the hotel's front door, it's an easy walk down to Times Sq. & Theatre District or an easy walk up to Central Park, close to Rockefeller Ctr.

As to the character & quality of the hotel, well it's a HUGE (approx 1400 rooms) and rather non-descript place. It's a chain with not alot of personality. I booked thru Priceline and landed this hotel and final nightly price was $102 (including taxes, etc, etc.). I was pleased with what I got for that price --- frankly I'd love to afford a higher end place with the glitz & glamor, but was more than happy with a comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and ordinary hotel furnishings on the 20th floor. You can read more reviews about this place on Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -