Search

Priceline buyer's remorse re Santa Fe hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM
jin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline buyer's remorse re Santa Fe hotel

We are going to be in Santa Fe for two days next month. I just bid for a "3-star upscale hotel" to be near the Plaza, through Priceline and 'won' Bishop's Lodge. It certainly isn't walking distance to the Plaza as it turns out, although we will have a car, but we had hoped not to have to drive everywhere. (Staying in a resort isn't a priority - just want to get as much of the Santa Fe experience as possible in such a short time).

I have read some nice reviews, but the overall impression I get from the really bad ones (and boy, are they bad) is that Bishop's Lodge is horrific!

I realise that using Priceline is a gamble, and please forgive what may be a redundant question, but has anyone ever been able to get out of the non-refundable, non-transferable Priceline rule - in order to try for something else?

Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I'm sure others who have tried and either failed and succeeded will reply with their stories.

But, in the meantime, I wanted to stress the importance of knowing what you're bidding on. I know it's too late for you for this trip, but for someone else, or for the future.

It's impossible to bid for a hotel "to be near the Plaza" on priceline. You can bid for a hotel in the plaza zone, but if you click on the detail map of that zone, you'll see that it's about 4 miles wide by 6 miles long.

Also, looking at sites like www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com will give you some ideas (no guarantees) of which hotels priceline uses in a given zone for a given star level. If there's a hotel that you really don't want to stay at, don't bid that zone/star level combo.

Sorry you're unhappy with what you've gotten. Assuming you'll have to stick with it, I hope it's not as bad as you've read.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM

jin - I've had anxiety after a Priceline hotel purchase and reading reviews, but I have always been pleasantly surprised. Perhaps because my expectations were so low. But since you're only staying two nights I'd stop worrying about. It'll be fine.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I know it could have changed since I stayed there, but the Bishop's Lodge was very nice. We had a one bedroom suite which was very nicely appointed. The room service food was excellent. We took a very nice hike right on the property. I hope you find your fears unjustified. It is a very nice place.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:39 AM
jin
Original Poster

Thank you, jlm_mi, for the extra info about biddingfortravel, etc. - it will be helpful next time! And many thanks also to BarbaraS and cmcfong for the soothing words... I appreciate your taking the time to respond!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM

The key to the Bishop's Lodge is: location, location, location. Some of the rooms have glorious views and others are a bit on the dark side. I believe they have all been renovated in the recent past, so that may help.
I'm staying there the first week of December and I've requested a specific room.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM

jin -- I've wondered about Bishop's Lodge and hope you will post a report when you return. It certainly looks like a nice place.

Driving probably won't be too bad... I don't think the resort is too far from the Plaza. There's a good parking garage at San Francisco and (if I remember correctly) Sandoval-- perfect location for going to the Plaza and surrounding areas.

Have a great time -- Santa Fe is awesome.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM

We stayed at an avg room at BL some years ago and it was wonderful. The setting is great--its a beautiful place, you can take hikes on the property and ride horses as well.
Its only a mile to town and its not hard to find parking. I don't know where you read the reviews but we thought it was one of the nicest places we ever stayed at.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:09 PM
jin
Original Poster

Well this is really sounding so much more encouraging. It's hardly the greatest problem in the world but it's nice to get the reassurance! I can't wait to see Santa Fe again - last time was in 1988. Jack, it sounds like we will be there at the same time. Thanks so much all, for the input.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Tripadvisor has the most hotel reviews. The reviews for the Bishop's Lodge is mixed. Some really like it and some really hated it. Read for yourself.